Forum Thread
quake 1 mod help :cry: (Forums : Development Banter : quake 1 mod help :cry:) Locked
Thread Options 1 2
SlipTap
SlipTap 0_o Modern Warfare Webmaster 0_o
Jun 4 2003 Anchor

After talking to CheapAlert , i decided that i might want to start a Quake 1 mod, but i have no idea what i am doing, is there anybody out there >Preferible a guardian angel, or admin :)< who can help me?

:de:What will i need?
:de:What skills?
:de:Misc?

also, any idea on what my mod should be about??

--

User Posted Image

Jun 4 2003 Anchor

Ummm... I'm pretty sure you need all the skillz0rz that any other mod would need

-Modeling
-Coding
-Sound ( not really necessary since Q1 doesn't have very good sound anyway :P )
-Skinning

Hope that kind helps :D

--

Only the dead have seen the end of war
User Posted Image
Free iPod

SlipTap
Jun 4 2003 Anchor

LoL, sorta. Im askin Cheap about some questions....Im thinking a Quake game where i might not even need to change the code....>Gasp Gasp< :D Something around a "choose your own fate" type of deal. thanks !

--

User Posted Image

Jun 4 2003 Anchor

Don't listen to Sherman, or anyone dissing Quake, because simple engine code changes can raise the limits of the game (like no more 11khz sound)

He's right though, you need to model (recommended prog: qME, maybe 3DSmax too :P)
Code (get the QuakeC source and FrikQCC and starting poking around)
Sound (Sound recorder, maybe Cool Edit or Sound Forge)
Skinning (qME, paint shop pro)
Mapping (WorldCraft, or maybe QuArK)

If you need anything specific, ask here, or maybe join Forums.inside3d.com.

--

User Posted Image

Jun 4 2003 Anchor

I'm not dissing Q1.. it's what pretty much started everything - multiplayer-wise. I'm just saying that my opinion is different, I don't think it's as great as you all say it is.

--

User Posted Image
Free iPod

PsychoFarmer
PsychoFarmer modDB King
Jun 4 2003 Anchor

/me starts flaming war over how 3dsmaxx has two x's in it

--

User Posted Image

Tei
Tei Enginecoder
Jun 5 2003 Anchor

Wings3D is a cool modeller.
TexMex is a good wad manager.
FrikBots where a good bot companion.

chis
chis Old man.
Jun 5 2003 Anchor

Sliptrap you should learn at least one thing before going into modding. I make maps, im not great it at but at least i have something to contribute to a mod :)

--

Nothing.

SlipTap
Jun 5 2003 Anchor

started Multiplayer?? I still remember playing Commad and Conquer and Doom on a Serial Connection :P

--

User Posted Image

SlipTap
Jun 5 2003 Anchor

Thanks Guys!

--

User Posted Image

Jun 5 2003 Anchor

Doom 1 or 2? I'm not that great at the old games or what they started since so many different games started different things... enlighten me

--

User Posted Image
Free iPod

leilei
leilei The person who doesn't like anything
Jun 5 2003 Anchor

Bolo, 1987.

- Edited By cheapalert On Thu 5th, Jun 2003 @ 3:50:56pm

--

<  insert subject games here  >

Jun 5 2003 Anchor

Sherman wrote: I'm not dissing Q1.. it's what pretty much started everything - multiplayer-wise. I'm just saying that my opinion is different, I don't think it's as great as you all say it is.

Uh, but it is great. Dum-dum.

Anyone played the old Mac (PC too?) game Vette! from 1989? It had full polygon 3D graphics, though it was black and white and used fill patterns instead of texture mapping. I used to play the 16-colour remake, ColorVette! a lot, it's bloody awesome! The cars rule too.

--

User Posted Image

SlipTap
Jun 6 2003 Anchor

LoL, i dont remember...I also remember Playing
Rise of The Triad, that started the violence genre, i remember blowin guys up and their eyeballs would fly down your screen :-D. You actually played a game on a mac?? ;) i read somewhere that the new macs actually have 12 games, i repeat 12 ;)

j/p

--

User Posted Image

leilei
Jun 6 2003 Anchor

I thought Wolf3d started it all. Maybe even Hovertank.

I got Vette! for PC, those highway chases are annoying and long (as I remember on my Zenith AT comp...) and I love San Francisco :kiss:

I did the mac then, I don't do them now because Apple's gone super-stingy after 1999. Their macs are discontinued, btw.

- Edited By CheapAlert On Fri 6th, Jun 2003 @ 7:41:22am

--

Jun 6 2003 Anchor

Super Mario Bros. started it... That's what inspired Carmack (who ported it to PC, but then couldn't license it) to make "Commander Keen" which was profitable enough to start Id Software...

Heh, how cheezy Hovertank was, but it was amazing for its time.

--

User Posted Image

leilei
Jun 6 2003 Anchor

But Keen != violent

--

Jun 6 2003 Anchor

Id's later games more than make up for it. Besides, having an 8-year-old on a pogo stick land on you... that's violence at an early age, eh?

--

User Posted Image

SlipTap
Jun 6 2003 Anchor

Yep, Wolf3d started, i rember that game :cries: ;) The rest was history, i think Quake started the whole "Dang, ID knows what they are doin!"

Is it pronouced Id like "DiD" or like I. D. Software?

- Edited By SlipTap On Fri 6th, Jun 2003 @ 12:49:58pm

--

User Posted Image

SlipTap
Jun 6 2003 Anchor

What da |-|3LL? We got from Helpin me in Quake to wat started it all, cheaps gargoyal babies....ok maybe not that but...

--

User Posted Image

leilei
Jun 6 2003 Anchor

John wrote: It's pronounced idd, as in the id, NOT I.D. as in Identification card.

--

Jun 6 2003 Anchor

I thought John Romero was the EGO to John Carmack's ID. :)

My point was that Carmack started with a mod - he created an engine that would play Super Mario Brothers, then since he couldn't sell that, he modded it into Commander Keen. His game engines have since gone off into more than 2 dimensions! His rocket engines are going places these days also.

Our fearless leader, John Carmack, will lead us to space and, well, outer space.

Armadilloaerospace.com

Watch the videos - some of them are very funny - "Captain" John Carmack controling a launch vehicle with a joystick and a laptop running software he programmed to activate the thrusters...

--

User Posted Image

leilei
Jun 6 2003 Anchor

I thought John Romero programmed "Dangerous Dave in Copyright Infringement" for super smooth scrolling capability...

Romero loves meh :) (See near the end of his page)

Rome.ro

--

Jun 6 2003 Anchor

Gah! Not those red ones thowing fire! They liked me and there were hundreds of them! I never brought them any treats but they were content with just me. Heretic was a great 2 1/2 D game. Quake was the first real 3D game, though. Can you believe the maps are going to be released some day? Quake 2 maps have a lot of little problems, as well - but they may never be remade properly. Speaking of maps and Quake... Nick "SiNGE" Bousman (Like who is he? I didn't know until yesterday) gave me permission to use his Quake maps for Qboard mod. I just made a run thru the first map after porting it into Qboard... Wow, that's crazy fun! Now I have to get back to work.

--

User Posted Image

leilei
Jun 6 2003 Anchor

Cool, he's still alive. Yesterday I notified him about the existence of modDB.com. I've contacted him in the past, from way back in 2001...

CheapAlert wrote: can I use qTank in stalker pretty pretty please?

He replied with a yes, and Stalker now has qTank + Steve Bond aircraft, since dec 2001! :D

The first occurance of "id" in a game was Dangerous Dave, on Level 10.

Ultima Underworld (1992) was the first truly 3d game though. Textured polygons, shading, etc...

User Posted Image
Gargoyles... gotta love 'em.

- Edited By cheapalert On Fri 6th, Jun 2003 @ 3:18:00pm

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.