Forum Thread
Mind controlled HalfLife 2 mod (Forums : Development Banter : Mind controlled HalfLife 2 mod) Locked
Thread Options 1 2
OmniBlueGorilla
OmniBlueGorilla Mojok Director
Apr 30 2005 Anchor

Have you ever wished you could use your arms and legs in half life like you can in reality? Point at two places at once or pick things up and spin them on your finger. Maybe even grab onto a pipe and pull your self up to hide from someone. This Mod's goal is to make this a reality.

News.bbc.co.uk this monkey at the University of Pittsburgh is being tested on has learned to control a robotic arm as if it is his own because of its connection to his brain. At first the arm only moved when his real arm did, but now he can move the robotic arm by its self. A computer in the middle of this process translates the signals into electrical movements of the arm. Our concept is that we should try doing the same thing except remove the robotic arm and make it a digital limb, or an entire digital body, and instead of plugging something into the brain, use something similar to they concept used to make brain ball work. Moberg.com.
Electrodes would pick up the electric signals of your brain and the information would be translated to be read by the mod.

Sound to good to be true? It’s to good maybe, but not to be true.

Moddb.com

--

Mojok Generation
Moddb.com
Live motion tracking half life 2 mod

deathmedic3rd
deathmedic3rd Metal Head
Apr 30 2005 Anchor

i hope you have a muliti million £ budget.. otherwise i belive this will crash and burn..

no offence ment.

Edited by: deathmedic3rd

--

running a hot rodded mac mini

VegasTheWZAd
VegasTheWZAd Skull Servant
Apr 30 2005 Anchor

sounds a bit far-fetched...

OmniBlueGorilla
Apr 30 2005 Anchor

I realize it sounds like something you need a huge budget for and very far fetched. In order to make this work all I need is a component which I can't name (to protect this project) which costs around $2000 and a programmer. The trick is finding a way to make it so the component is significantly cheaper so the average person can buy one. I am trying to figure this part out right now and I will update you guys with what I think I will be able to get the price down to. Part of the reason the price is so hi at the moment is this component is not mass produced.

--

Mojok Generation
Moddb.com

leilei
leilei The person who doesn't like anything
Apr 30 2005 Anchor

Jurrassic Park: Trespasser!

--

<  insert subject games here  >

OmniBlueGorilla
Apr 30 2005 Anchor

This may clear up some misunderstandings if there are any.
Halflifesource.com

--

Mojok Generation
Moddb.com

VegasTheWZAd
VegasTheWZAd Skull Servant
Apr 30 2005 Anchor

It sounds like a great concept. Id love to see this go through, not matter how far-fetched it seems

ror
ror
Apr 30 2005 Anchor

But the mind already adapts to "mind control" the game via the mouse/keyboard. When you go to jump in HL you don't think to press the key to do it you just DO it, the same way you don't /think/ about the controls you press .

--

teamgames are for those who want to blame their losses on others. Play deathmatch you wuss.

OmniBlueGorilla
Apr 30 2005 Anchor

Right but your control is limited and it doesn't always feel like it’s actually you. Your control is also limited by how many keys you can reach and the animations for those actions. Things like multi targetting with two guns is almost impossible.

--

Mojok Generation
Moddb.com

ror
ror
Apr 30 2005 Anchor

Firstly any digital "mind control" system would be VERY limited (data rate capacity on the link) and secondly "direct" mind control wouldn't feel any more like it's actually you because that's to do with the FEEDBACK more/as much as the input. Animations for actions is as much if not MORE problematic if you take away the keyboard which is so "limited", because then the mind would always be trying things that wasn't factored in when programmed.

--

teamgames are for those who want to blame their losses on others. Play deathmatch you wuss.

OmniBlueGorilla
Apr 30 2005 Anchor

Actually it would not be limited because each movement direction could be translated an s a key if needed for simplicity and the movement would be based on rules not animations. As far as feeling real; feedback is a major part of it. The difference between being able to move a mouse around to point at objects and moving the body parts as if they are your own is still a big step. If we are able to figure out haw to send feedback to the brain we may even be able to make the person see and hear in this virtual world without a monitor or speakers. But for now I am working with what I can to create a new way of playing a game.

--

Mojok Generation
Moddb.com

ror
ror
Apr 30 2005 Anchor

what /you/ can create? I thought it was a team at Pitts that was doing it?

Technology has many stages, one of the later stages is entertainment, if it's just being proto'd on monkeys it's way off that step, and trying to MOD HALF-LIFE 2 instead of just writing a specific prototype program for it is just short sighted and well, stupid.

--

Apr 30 2005 Anchor

Make the player feel pain when they get shot :devil:

Fitz720
Fitz720 The ModDB Bulldog
Apr 30 2005 Anchor

Sounds near impossible to me.

OmniBlueGorilla
Apr 30 2005 Anchor

There are prototype programs. The links I sent you are examples of similar projects the company I'm communicating with actually has basic games that can be played by putting a cap with electrodes that pick up signals from the brain.

I’m not willing to give anymore information for now about the actual device.
If you don’t like the game play on the game don’t play it.

Edited by (in order): OmniBlueGorilla, OmniBlueGorilla

--

Mojok Generation
Moddb.com

ror
ror
Apr 30 2005 Anchor

What has that got to do with half-life 2 modding?

--

OmniBlueGorilla
Apr 30 2005 Anchor

What I wrote was in response to your previous statement about it being dumb to not first try on its own prototype program.

--

Mojok Generation
Moddb.com

embers.
embers. I'm a lumberjack....
May 1 2005 Anchor

you said that you dont even have a programmer so how are you actually planning to do this?

ror
ror
May 1 2005 Anchor

as far as I can tell he's just planning to take credit for the "idea", as though it's somehow an original idea rather than obvious.

--

embers.
embers. I'm a lumberjack....
May 1 2005 Anchor

to quote comic book guy

"worst idea ever"

OmniBlueGorilla
May 1 2005 Anchor

First of all; I am not trying to take credit for and idea, I am trying to make another companies product work with half life. Second, I do need a programmer to make this really work; I probably won't be able to pull this off unless I find one. I'm not sure why you insist on criticizing the idea but if you actually want to decide if it will work or not you are perfectly welcome to help on the project.

Edited by: OmniBlueGorilla

--

Mojok Generation
Moddb.com

CyanideCotdPnuts
CyanideCotdPnuts Das Boot
May 1 2005 Anchor

You should have scratch and sniff cards for the players to use as well.
Then they can get REALLY into it.

Edited by: CyanideCotdPnuts

--

When there is no more room in Hell, the Dead will walk the Earth.
User Posted Image
"To judge a man's character, give him power."
Moddb.com - Epidemic Mod.

chis wrote:
You can prolly sue someone for looking at you wrong in america :|

ror
ror
May 1 2005 Anchor

or give them all guns, real ones

--

Fitz720
Fitz720 The ModDB Bulldog
May 1 2005 Anchor

CyanideCotdPnuts wrote: You should have scratch and sniff cards for the players to use as well.
Then they can get REALLY into it.

Rofl

May 1 2005 Anchor

programmer = 100% of the work?

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.