Forum Thread
Help: Critique my UT2004 CTF Map (Forums : Level Design : Help: Critique my UT2004 CTF Map) Locked
Thread Options
Aug 18 2008 Anchor

Hello fellow designers, I'm working on my capstone (final) project for Game Design School, which is a Unreal Tournament 2004 level, and I need some help. I'm focusing on gameplay, not looks, so I need some feedback on what people think about the layout of my level and possible improvements.

I created a level earlier, and I showed it off in another thread. Based on the comments I received, I went to another design I had, and I believe it turned out much better.
Please download the level if you are able, and if you are not, please look at the Images and comment on the layout.

>>>BridgedV2.ut2

UPDATE: So I made some changes to the level based upon critiques, and I was wondering if there were any more problems the gameplay. I was also wondering if maybe I should add a second path somewhere down the river for players to get across, or if I should just leave it at the bridge. If there aren't anymore problems, I plan on starting to add actual meshes to the level and putting in some better materials.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Edited by: novusvir

Gibberstein
Gibberstein Generic Coder Type Thing
Aug 19 2008 Anchor

Definitely better! Here's a few quick questions:

Is the unsymmetrical weapon placement deliberate? One side doesn't have a link gun, and one side has easier access to the sniper rifle than the lightening gun, and vice-versa.

On the sniper/lightening gun, do we really need both? The sniper seems a little overpowered, since you can fire on the fringe of the fog without giving away your position. Might be better to stick with two lightening guns. Do like the placement though - having to push forward before settling back to defend is a nice touch to avoid Facing Worlds syndrome.

I couldn't find any ammo - meant that defence was a little strange, and I was reliant on the attackers dropping guns to keep my ammo topped up. Maybe not a problem, just want to know if it was a deliberate choice or not.

Definitely a lot more fun than before though. Shaping up to be a nice little map for 3vs3 :)

--

"lets say Portal is a puzzle game, so its a rehash of Tetris"
- Wraiyth points out the craziness of stereotyping games by their genre

Aug 19 2008 Anchor

Thanks for the critique, I'm glad to hear that I am indeed learning from my experiences. The asymmetry is partially on purpose. I wanted to give people an option between the two types of "snipers". But I was honestly thinking of getting rid of the classic sniper because it is, well, old. But the lack of the link gun on one side was not on purpose, I forgot to set the weapon type on the pickup base.

About the ammo, I'm trying to remember how to add extra ammo to the pickup bases. It's been awhile since I worked alot with UnrealEd. I might just throw in some ammo packs. Do you think that placing them right next to the guns themselves is a good idea?

Gibberstein
Gibberstein Generic Coder Type Thing
Aug 20 2008 Anchor

Level design theory time! Item placement influences player movement, that simple rule is the heart of almost all gameplay (certainly in FPS games). So, for this level (and CTF in general) if you put the pickups in the main route between flags, it will make things very hectic, with everyone on full ammo all the time, and no defender need ever abandon their position. It makes it easier for the defence. If you spread things out more, defenders have to either move away from their positions to rearm, or be flexible in which weapon they use. Gives the attackers a few more opportunities to push into the base.

So, the answer to "where do you put the pickups?" is "depends on playtesting". From my quick play, I feel that sniper and rocket dominate in the defensive position, so I'd be tempted to make it require a bit of effort to keep yourself supplied with that ammo. However, I've not played it for long, so more play may make me change my mind. Just keep testing the map, and if one weapon makes life too easy for the defence, make it require trips into the midfield to pick it up. If the attackers start to walk all over the defence, give them better stuff right by the flag and/or spawnpoints.

--

"lets say Portal is a puzzle game, so its a rehash of Tetris"
- Wraiyth points out the craziness of stereotyping games by their genre

Aug 20 2008 Anchor

Here's an updated version:

>>>BridgedV2.ut2

myles
myles Woah.
Aug 20 2008 Anchor

Hey!
Only just saw this post,
So Gibber seems to have commented on generally gameplay and weapon placement,

Gameplay -
A nice little map, although It is very akward only having one way accross to the enemies base, maybe another few different ways would be cool, maybe further downstream there could be lower terrain and a small stream going accross to the opposite side. Another way could be to have a jump map near the top of one of the hills, this would send you to the other side, but further back than you would want to be.

Terrain -
Smooth out the terrain more to make the hills feel less fake. Add more layers, rock layer for where the terrain is steep and darker terrain where the terrain comes in contact with the BSP. Use the block volume instead to stop people escaping from your map ;). Add some trees/rocks in places and some foliage.

Water -
The water looks streched, copy one of the water planes from one of the other maps (CTF-December has good water in the middle) and use this to get a better idea of water. Add some kind of fog inside the water (i think this happens anyway if you add a WaterVolume). Use some emitters of water splashing against some areas of the bottom of the bridge to make it feel like it moves a little. (If you know how create a material where the texture pans so you can use this on the water).

General Look -
Iam presuming you dont know how to make your own static meshes, if you dont then I suggest not to add any UT Generic meshes because they are all overused. Add some fog to the level, maybe some kind of light brown, not to heavy but just to add some atmoshpere. Add a large particle over the level to add some 'dust' slowely falling to the ground. Add a few decal projectors to fake where some explosions may have happened, and ontop of that some smoke emitters.

Lighting -
I cant really say much about lighting apart from just to play around with your lighting and use some more different colours and just try and be creative. Look at Hourences community wbsite to get a good idea for lighting.

Good luck! And if you want more help contact me on msn - myleslambert@hotmail.co.uk

Keep at it!

--

Portfolio

Error: The operation completed successfully.

Aug 20 2008 Anchor

I do know how to create meshes, textures, materials, etc. However, I'm currently focusing on blocking out the level. I will take your advice into consideration when I do begin to add meshes to this level. I love the idea of having splashy water by the bridge pylons after I make the water move. Also, there is fog in the level, I took the images from the editor for clarity.

Thanks for your imput :D

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.