Forum Thread
Half Life 2 mod Defense Command (Forums : Development Banter : Half Life 2 mod Defense Command) Locked
Thread Options
Sep 10 2003 Anchor

Hi. I'm Mooseakolopsatron (obviously) and I'm part of a new mod in development called Defense Command.

Basically, this mod is a cross between a 3rd person shooter and a real time strategy, though not how you'd expect. You control a single unit throughout the game. The unit is basically a squad consisting of several soldiers and/or vehicles as well as other unit types to come.

The camera is situated above and behind your unit, but not looking straight ahead like most 3rd persons. Instead, it's angled down more toward the ground so that you never see the horizon. Essentially what it does is create a fog of war like in RTSs but in a 3rd person way.

There are many strategic things involved as well. As you fight you gain Tech Points and as your team reaches certain numbers of points they gain upgrades they can assign to their units. Their are other buildings such as hospitals and barracks, which spawn and heal your troops, and factories and garages, which spawn and repair vehicles as well as repair troop armour.

It is, of course, far deeper than this, adding a true strategy element to the gameplay and if you're really interested you should check out our "website".

There will also be backstories behind certain characters and events, much like in Star Craft or Warhammer, which will create a more real attachment to special characters and give the game a more realistic feel and story element.

Innitially there will only be two races to control, but eventually there will be five. Finally, it will be multiplayer to start, then a single player campaign will be added on when the rest is finished.

We are currently looking for all manner of help, though we do have a concept artist, webmaster, sound expert, and a modeller.

For full details check out our (extremely temporary and very crappy <--DO NOT JUDGE MOD PROGRESS BY IT) site at www.xenoworks.com/dcomm/dcomm.htm.

If you are interested in joining post here or (preferably) send an e-mail to ductonius@xenoworks.com (ductonius is the mod founder).

Also, if you have any general questions, comments, ideas, or suggestions, you can post them on our forums here (again, temporary location until we get our actual site and forums up).

- Edited By Mooseakolopsatron On Wed 10th, Sep 2003 @ 6:07:51pm

--

User Posted Image

Neo-Reloaded
Neo-Reloaded I think i'm BaCk! :) i'm 18 now :P 28/03 (H)
Sep 10 2003 Anchor

good luck with ur mod :thumbup:

--

**wearing a christmas hat since xmas 2004 :)** ThAt'S ThE sPiRiT! ;)
thx 4 teh avatar cheap!:D
Back regularly! 8) i'm an adult in my country now! i'm 18!:O ... anyway...
I'm Back :) ... or am I? O_o

new e-mail addy, check profile :)

Quackzilla
Quackzilla Eagle Scout
Sep 11 2003 Anchor

funny how you havent registered it in ur name on modDB yet...

chis
chis Old man.
Sep 11 2003 Anchor

thats a good thing, he must not be putting it up until he has more team members and no it is ready :)

--

Nothing.

Neo-Reloaded
Sep 11 2003 Anchor

yeah otherwise its going to join to the dead mods pile...

--

Sep 11 2003 Anchor

Hey, look at that. I can register the mod.

--

User Posted Image

leilei
leilei The person who doesn't like anything
Sep 11 2003 Anchor

Hey, look at that. I can authorize the mod.

--

<  insert subject games here  >

Neo-Reloaded
Sep 11 2003 Anchor

look in ur control panel at the left i think..

--

Sep 11 2003 Anchor

swweeeeet...................

--

User Posted Image

chis
chis Old man.
Sep 11 2003 Anchor

I think the sig you got there is a bit to big mate :P

--

Nothing.

Sep 11 2003 Anchor

hehe, ya. I think I'll chop the sky down a bit.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.