Forum Thread
Half-Life 2 Bugs (Forums : Tech Support : Half-Life 2 Bugs) Locked
Thread Options
Dec 30 2004 Anchor

Am I the only one who can't get Half-Life 2 to work on my computer? Over and over it crashes. About every five minutes in fact. At least it is not rebooting my computer like it was. I get this error.

'The Instruction at 0x####### referenced memory at 0x#######. The memory could not be 'read'

They just decided to add it to Steampowered.custhelp.com

However, they don't seem to have an answer that really works.

Not only that, but the Windows Service Pack 2 seems to be corrupted. I had to get rid of it to keep my computer from crashing.

Not only that, but I recently got a virus! My brother had to format my C drive. He knows computers better than I do.

I have had a very frustrating last several days to say the least.

My brother kept reinstalling windows and things would work fine, and then we would install the Windows service pack 2 and it would start crashing again!

As for Half-Life 2, it still causes my computer to crash. Are any of you having the same problem with the game? It runs fine when it runs, which is at about five minute intervals.

Is one of the most anticipated games of all time so buggy that I can't even get it to work?

A few other people on various other forums seem to be having the same problem. I am wondering if anyone else was.

--

Romans 10:13 "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved."

Dec 30 2004 Anchor

Now, I'm not supporting HL2, or the HL2 community in any way when I say that if you are dealing with this many errors, besides HL2, and you've needed to reinstall Windows more than once, it is probably you. And besides the point, if SP2 keeps crashing, heres a bright thought, don't install it, it is optional.

I'm guessing you are going to need a clean install, backup any crap you seriously need, and keep with sp1, besides, if you have sp2 now and are still getting viruses obviously it isn't doing it's job.

--

<Cheapy> he's got a second alias
<Cheapy> so he can "hide"

EVADE EVADE lol, get me 3 kegs of bitch complain & whine okthxbai

ComradeTiki
ComradeTiki For the Common Good
Dec 30 2004 Anchor

I get this "memory could not be 'read'" error somewhat often. In addition to:
- Computer instantly restarting while playing HL2
- HL2 quitting with no error message
- Not having functional internet, and Steam telling me that it has no user cache for offline mode

Edited by (in order): ComradeTiki, ComradeTiki

--

User Posted Image
User Posted Image
User Posted Image

Spector
Spector WWIII
Dec 31 2004 Anchor

its usually cause your system is old, or has some problem with the harddrive, that is currupted or something...

--

snetErz.com - Web Design
Some guy in the space time continuum.

jacksonj04
jacksonj04 Over 9000
Dec 31 2004 Anchor

That sounds like you have a problem with hardware - specifically RAM. XPSP2 subtly changed how memory gets allocated to help prevent buffer overflows, and if you have stacks going bad then who knows.

Take your PC down to somewhere like PC World (or the equivalent in your country) and get them to do a full check. Then get some antivirus software, install something like Spybot (Google it) and for the love of god USE FIREFOX (link in my signature) instead of IE.

--

Barcode Imagejacksonj04 the generally helpful one
Lost, confused or just need a virtual cuddle? PM me.
Need urgent help from staff? PM us all.

Jan 1 2005 Anchor

I don't see how it can be that any part of my computer is too old. I got it upgraded with the latest and greatest everything so that Doom 3 would run well, which, by the way, it does.
I have the following.
Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 1, (Service Pack 2 causes it to crash,)
and AMD Athlon[TM]XP 3200+ 2.20 GHz
and 1.00 GB of DDR RAM.

My problems are not only with Half-Life 2, but with Counter-Strike Source as well. Maybe it's the Source engine. Maybe it's Steam. I don't know, but I have been having the same sort of trouble as ComeradeTiki except for, "Not having functional internet, and Steam telling me that it has no user cache for offline mode."

--

Romans 10:13 "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved."

1nf1n1ty87
1nf1n1ty87 Will Code For Coke
Jan 1 2005 Anchor

You think you've got probelms with Half Life 2 running, i can't get it installed never mind running because it comes up with an error reporting it can't find an icon within one of the cabinet files, AND i'm supposed to be working on BRAWL for BlueWolf.

Edited by: 1nf1n1ty87

jacksonj04
jacksonj04 Over 9000
Jan 1 2005 Anchor

1nf1n1ty87, this is a known glitch. You need to install it WITH COUNTER-STRIKE: SOURCE. You can uninstall CS:S afterwards, but you need to install them together.

--

Barcode Imagejacksonj04 the generally helpful one
Lost, confused or just need a virtual cuddle? PM me.
Need urgent help from staff? PM us all.

1nf1n1ty87
1nf1n1ty87 Will Code For Coke
Jan 1 2005 Anchor

jacksonj04 wrote: 1nf1n1ty87, this is a known glitch. You need to install it WITH COUNTER-STRIKE: SOURCE. You can uninstall CS:S afterwards, but you need to install them together.

Thank You Jackson, now i can stop batting my head off the wall trying to figure out how to install it without CS Source, which incidentally, i wasn't installing other than Half Life 2! Thank you once again. :)

Jan 1 2005 Anchor

ComradeTiki wrote:
- Computer instantly restarting while playing HL2

Turn off vpu recover and turn off the `automatically restart on system failure` check on system performance and recovery tab.

--

Why wont it save me?

leilei
leilei The person who doesn't like anything
Jan 1 2005 Anchor

I've had the beginning elevator (with alyx) not moving at all once when I first played HL2 last november. Seems to be working now though

--

<  insert subject games here  >

Jan 1 2005 Anchor

I'm surprised it actually runs on your machine

--

User Posted Image
I LOVE You
FUH-Q

Jan 2 2005 Anchor

How come SP2 has such a big impact for some people? It doesn't affect my computer at all!

--

|_( hp )¯| p00nst3r

frosty-theaussie
frosty-theaussie Sonny Jim
Jan 2 2005 Anchor

What's this doing in General Banter? Off to Tech for you, thread.

--

User Posted Image

Feb 7 2005 Anchor

It wasn't Half-Life 2 after all. My processor was going out! Now it works fine.

--

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.