Forum Thread
GF 6600/6600gt - are they any good? (Forums : General Banter : GF 6600/6600gt - are they any good?) Locked
Thread Options
Dec 6 2004 Anchor

They're waaay cheaper than their larger brother - 6800, and from the benchmarks and everything it seems that the rendering power isn't really that much smaller.

From what i've seen the differences are mainly in the GPU/memory clock speeds, memory types and in the amount of rendering pipes (6600/gt has got 8, while the 6800 has got 16 *but only 12 are usable, 4 are disabled*, and the 6800gt/ultra uses all 16)

Can anybody tell me if these cards are any good, and should i consider buying them during my next hardware upgrade?

Dec 6 2004 Anchor

The 6600gt is an excellent mid-range card, and would be big upgrade for you. If you have enough for a 6800gt, I'd say go for theat, you can flash the bios and unlock those 4 pipes to use all 16. The 6600 is comparable to Ati's x700, but I'd rather have the 6600gt. So in short, the 6600gt would be the ideal card for a mid-range system.

EDIT: Mid-range is not a bad term, in fact depending on what else you get, the 6600gt will hold up very well against the higher-end cards.

Edited by:

--

User Posted Image
I LOVE You
FUH-Q

Dec 6 2004 Anchor

I'm asking mainly because its so easy to get a shit card today :P

The 6600gt looks like an ideal graphics card for me, cause the price isn't that big and on the benchmarks it looks like its good. Also ati's x700xt is basically the same card (similar performance, and everything) but the price is way bigger.

I know that mid-range is not a bad term :) Not too many people have got the cash to get a state-of-the-art graphics card today :P

Spector
Spector WWIII
Dec 6 2004 Anchor

I do, I would go with the gt version, it should do perfectly fine...
^ the cash yup!

Edited by: Spector

--

snetErz.com - Web Design
Some guy in the space time continuum.

frosty-theaussie
frosty-theaussie Sonny Jim
Dec 6 2004 Anchor

Just as long as it doesn't have the letters M and X in the name. :paranoid:

*me giggles when remember all the fools who rushed out and bought a Ge orce 4 MX when it first came out, simply because it was called a Geforce 4

Hehehe...

--

User Posted Image

ShortCutMan
ShortCutMan ♥ Pure ♥ Bred ♥ Geek ♥
Dec 6 2004 Anchor

Oh be quite frosty and go play with your free X800 XT PE. :P

The 6600 is a good card, I've seen benchmarks, and it seems pretty decent. I'd get one, but I don't have the money for a new mobo with PCI-Xpress.

--

98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 98% that is an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
User Posted Image

Spector
Spector WWIII
Dec 6 2004 Anchor

FROSTY - Aw now thats not nice, I hope they find you and burn you :P

lol, same with Windows ME! eek, the name scares me!

Edited by: Spector

--

snetErz.com - Web Design
Some guy in the space time continuum.

frosty-theaussie
frosty-theaussie Sonny Jim
Dec 6 2004 Anchor

ShortCutMan wrote: Oh be quite frosty and go play with your free X800 XT PE. :P

TAHTS NOT AS FUN AS PLAYING WIHT MYSELLF

:paranoid:

--

User Posted Image

ShortCutMan
ShortCutMan ♥ Pure ♥ Bred ♥ Geek ♥
Dec 6 2004 Anchor

oh dear god no

--

98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 98% that is an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
User Posted Image

Dec 6 2004 Anchor

ooh frosty, you got one to. We could go on ebay and get $1000 because they've stopped making them.

Edited by:

--

User Posted Image
I LOVE You
FUH-Q

Cj_the_Dj
Cj_the_Dj I like eggs
Dec 7 2004 Anchor

how much is the card?

i tell you, the best value is getting duel 6800's :)

...what? :paranoid:

--

A tale of two stalkers: he saw the picture in her profile; looked up the host. He haxx0rz3d into server to acquire logs and IP address of user who uploaded picture. Then he had friend at ISP look up address. He showed up at her door with her favorite flowers and discovered she was... married. Moral: start research by looking up marital status.

Dec 7 2004 Anchor

Ugh, i would tell you the price of the 6600 cards, but im more interested in the polish currency than $ :paranoid:

Frosty: i know about this whole mx crap, gf4 mx is not really better than a good gf2 card :P also the same thing goes with fx5200/5600s and many other cards:P

After selling our cpus, memory chips and mobos (and with some help from our father :P) we're going to buy with my brother two similar rigs with an athlon 2400+, hopefully some fast 512/1024 ddr chips and a 6600gt on the board :)

Dec 7 2004 Anchor

Cj_the_Dj wrote:

i tell you, the best value is getting duel 6800's :)

Actually, they are not a deal at all. it would be better just to have 1 6800 ultra, as having 2 does not give yo twice the performance increase.

--

User Posted Image
I LOVE You
FUH-Q

Dec 7 2004 Anchor

Wow, where'd you get the cash for the x800xt from gunrunner O_o

Dec 7 2004 Anchor

I worked for my uncle doing construction last summer. I got it when it was only $500.

--

User Posted Image
I LOVE You
FUH-Q

Dec 7 2004 Anchor

Wow... that's still hell of a price... but now youre going to play games on max details for the next 1.5 years :P

Cj_the_Dj
Cj_the_Dj I like eggs
Dec 7 2004 Anchor

hah gunrunner, ever heard of sarcasm? :|

--

A tale of two stalkers: he saw the picture in her profile; looked up the host. He haxx0rz3d into server to acquire logs and IP address of user who uploaded picture. Then he had friend at ISP look up address. He showed up at her door with her favorite flowers and discovered she was... married. Moral: start research by looking up marital status.

Dec 7 2004 Anchor

No, I've never heard of this "sarcasm" would you care to reiterate for me?

--

User Posted Image
I LOVE You
FUH-Q

Cj_the_Dj
Cj_the_Dj I like eggs
Dec 7 2004 Anchor

i'll tell u what i tell my little brother.

Look it up.

--

Dec 9 2004 Anchor

Here's a good article I found by Anandtech that might help you choose which 6600gt to get.

Anandtech.com

--

User Posted Image
I LOVE You
FUH-Q

Cj_the_Dj
Cj_the_Dj I like eggs
Dec 10 2004 Anchor

ooooooo $200!

--

Obsydian
Obsydian now with zero tolerance for stupidity!
Dec 10 2004 Anchor

frosty-theaussie wrote: Just as long as it doesn't have the letters M and X in the name. :paranoid:

*me giggles when remember all the fools who rushed out and bought a Ge orce 4 MX when it first came out, simply because it was called a Geforce 4

Hehehe...

for the record, I was not one of those people...

I got it because it was cheap and it was all I needed to hold me over until I get a new one. then well, I abandoned PC gaming after that horrible steam incident, and the fact that my HDD's were loaded up to the brim. So I gave it up. I'll get in it eventually again, just not within the next few months or anything.

--

User Posted Image

TheRambo
TheRambo Hello.
Dec 10 2004 Anchor

me neither.... i actually bought my pc with a gforce 2 in it cuz i couldnt afford a better card.... i upgraded like a little more than half a year ago to my current card, the ati radeon 9800pro. Until then, my graphics weren't good, but so what, most games worked so i was fine.

--

OMG it's teh Raaaaammmbooo!!!

Cj_the_Dj
Cj_the_Dj I like eggs
Dec 11 2004 Anchor

i didn't even buy my gforce4. my dad did juse because it had a tv-out capability (unlike my gforce2 100/200). i got so angry, i told him he should've asked me cuz we could've gotten a waaay better deal. :(

--

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.