Forum Thread
GameSpy - Xbox 2 Alpha Specs Revealed (Forums : Console Gaming : GameSpy - Xbox 2 Alpha Specs Revealed) Locked
Thread Options 1 2
Mar 9 2005 Anchor

Gamespy was able to find out just what exactly is inside the Xbox 2. Check it out here: Xbox.gamespy.com

Keep in mind that all of this information is based off of alpha development kits and current projections for the final hardware. Everything is subject to change.

My favorite: Everyone Xenon title will be required to have Xbox Live. This is great news for those that got done with single-player games, but are rather frustrated that there isn't any multiplayer to fall back on. Now developers have to include this option. Just think of the possibilities :D

Edited by: Karuto

--

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster."
- Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146

ImTheDarkcyde
ImTheDarkcyde ¯\(º_o)/¯
Mar 9 2005 Anchor

i still say, fuck online console gaming,

i prefer the feature that they all let you play custom soundtracks, so im hearing fatboy slim, and not some 12 year old whos testicles havnt decended.

still, i care less and less about processors, graphics cards,

technology doesnt make the game, realistic grass doesnt make it fun.

Mar 9 2005 Anchor

Well, in order for it to be called a next-generation console, you want boosted technical specs, correct? You don't want us to still be using old, outdated engines, do you? In order to fully bring the gameplay to the table, developers need stronger engines to come up with new ways to make games. It's kind of like the Nintendo DS, or Fable for the Xbox. Stronger engines = stronger games.

If you can't handle online console gaming, go back to the 90's :P

--

ImTheDarkcyde
ImTheDarkcyde ¯\(º_o)/¯
Mar 9 2005 Anchor

i could care less about outdated engines, as i've well established, quake and doom are my most played games, DS could have NES graphics, as long as it let me touch the screen and had innovative gameplay, i'd love it.

now, i dont exactly see how a faster/stronger xbox is innovative, at all.

Mar 9 2005 Anchor

Um, consoles aren't necessarily innovative. It's more the games that come on that console. What's great is that Microsoft is willing to take that step into the realm of permanent online play, which so many have been afraid of before. These are only the specs, so we still don't know what Microsoft has planned for the next Xbox. We'll just have to wait and see what happens, just like with the other two.

Don't get all wound up from just alpha specs. This is, like it mentions, only from alpha development kits, after all.

--

leilei
leilei The person who doesn't like anything
Mar 10 2005 Anchor

SPECS MEAN SHIT

It's the games we're worried about, most of xbox's games suck, and better console hardware won't make the games better, itll make them more hype-dumps for glitz n' graphics than having thought and logic for creating fun games.

Edited by: leilei

--

<  insert subject games here  >

frosty-theaussie
frosty-theaussie Sonny Jim
Mar 10 2005 Anchor

Wow. It has less RAM than my PC.

--

User Posted Image

ShortCutMan
ShortCutMan ♥ Pure ♥ Bred ♥ Geek ♥
Mar 10 2005 Anchor

Doesn't need to load lots of GUI and system processors though frosty.
And I never thought Microsoft would use the processor series that Apple co-develop with IBM.

Consoles can be innovative. Look at the Revolution (Nintendo's next), and its no buttons on controllers!

Edited by: ShortCutMan

--

98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 98% that is an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
User Posted Image

Mar 10 2005 Anchor

frosty-theaussie wrote: Wow. It has less RAM than my PC.

Gamespy wrote: Xenon will have 256 MB of system RAM. Keep in mind that this number should not be equated to typical PC RAM. The Xbox has 64 MB of system RAM and is a very capable machine.

Gotsta read first :P

--

Mar 10 2005 Anchor

*bump* Part Two of Gamespy's Xbox 2 exclusive.

This article addresses Gamer Profiles (which sounds absolutely kickass!!) and Xbox Live features. Xbox.gamespy.com

--

frosty-theaussie
frosty-theaussie Sonny Jim
Mar 10 2005 Anchor

Karuto wrote: Gotsta read first :P

I did read, that's how I found it out.

--

User Posted Image

Mar 10 2005 Anchor

But a console's RAM isn't the same as a PC's. :|

If the Xbox was running off a PC's 64mb card, the graphics would be really crappy, which they're not (if you look at games such as 'Brothers in Arms' and the upcoming Doom 3).

--

leilei
Mar 10 2005 Anchor

According to the shots, Doom3 was reduced dramatically for the Xbox to fit in to their shit specs. Pretty nice system eh

--

Mar 10 2005 Anchor

THe Official Xbox Magazine had the specs a loonnnggg time ago, even though some of them got changed.

Xbox 2 will still not be as good as the gaming computers, but thats a good thing. If it was, it would cost much more. You can always buy the Raven if you really care that much about really nice graphics ;)

Mar 10 2005 Anchor

The Raven? Oookay. A Dell is more powerful than the Raven :P

Xbox does not have shit specs. It's actually quite powerful. I check the screenshots for Xbox and then the PC, and they're almost the same.

It's basically the same experience most people got with their computers, seeing as how no one was willing to shell out hundreds of dollars for a new graphics card, with another $50 going to the PC Doom 3...

And by the way, David, these are official alpha development kits. The one Xbox Magazine had were unofficial. It was mostly speculation at that time :P

--

Mar 10 2005 Anchor

This Raven: Moddb.com

leilei
Mar 10 2005 Anchor

Karuto wrote: Xbox does not have shit specs. It's actually quite powerful.

733MHz
Geforce3 special
tiny hd that's not relevant to game speed

User Posted Image

This is what the Xbox is capable of.

And oh, this is pretty much the average xbox game as well: no innovation - just mostly cinematic platformers with popular license tie-ins

Edited by (in order): leilei, leilei, leilei

--

ImTheDarkcyde
ImTheDarkcyde ¯\(º_o)/¯
Mar 10 2005 Anchor

Um, consoles aren't necessarily innovative.

last i checked, innovative is the new nintendos middle name

(btw, to disprove any bias, i reserved my psp today)

Mar 10 2005 Anchor

CA: The Hard Drive hasn't been determined yet, if you read the article. This is only alpha specs, so they may be changed later on down the line, for the better or for worse.

User Posted Image
User Posted Image

That is what the Xbox is capable of.

User Posted Image
User Posted Image

That is only a taste of what the Xbox 2 is capable of. (Yes, those are pictures from the PC version of the game. However, if you read the article, the graphics card will be a generation beyond the new ATI X800 graphics cards, so you know it's going to look even better than that).

It's the most powerful console on the market, ahead of Gamecube and PS2.

Basically, if you don't like the Xbox, I don't even know why you're in this thread in the first place. Moddb.com :P

EDIT: And by the way, Cheapalert, that cinematic platform jib is found in practically every console on the market. Xbox has a much better line-up than its competition, and that's a fact. :|

Edited by (in order): Karuto, Karuto

--

Spector
Spector WWIII
Mar 10 2005 Anchor

Gamespy probably got this from the GDC(game developer chat) held recently, seeing as gamespot happens to have an article on Xbox "2" specs as well...

--

snetErz.com - Web Design
Some guy in the space time continuum.

Mar 10 2005 Anchor

GameSpy wrote: For several GameSpy editors, Game Developers Conference (GDC) is one of the best and most enjoyable events held each year. One of the primary reasons for GameSpy's GDC love is that the editors get to interact with some of the best talents in the business. Recently, some of GameSpy's friends in the development community shared a ton of details on Microsoft's next console system. Keep in mind that all of this information is based off of alpha development kits and current projections for the final hardware. Everything is subject to change. In the first part of our Xbox expose, I'll cover the console's hardware components and software goals. Since the final name of the next Xbox hasn't been revealed yet, I'll refer to the system by its codename, Xenon.

That's from the beginning of the article I pasted on the first post.

I never would have guessed, spector :P

Edited by: Karuto

--

Spector
Spector WWIII
Mar 10 2005 Anchor

meh you should state that on your post, cause well most people wont read it(article), and most people will think Gamespy got an exclusive on Xbox, when the really didn't

--

snetErz.com - Web Design
Some guy in the space time continuum.

deathmedic3rd
deathmedic3rd Metal Head
Mar 10 2005 Anchor

just adding bloom effects and bump maps doesn't make a good game :|
and whiles i'm at it, how does the xbox have...

a much better line-up than its competition, and that's a fact.

it's a fact? show me.
gamecube has a better line up of origanel games, and ps2 has roughly the same as xbox too.

--

running a hot rodded mac mini

leilei
Mar 10 2005 Anchor

xbox 2 specs mean shite, the gfx hype only appeals to no-brained "gfx is everything" dolts who can't find true gameplay fun, it's not like it has anything new the PC hasn't, besides those are most likely developer's renders, not the actual xbox2 realtime-rendering. Alot of companies tease their games off like that

Edited by: leilei

--

Mar 10 2005 Anchor

Um, you have to look a lot deeper than just the graphics. Cheapalert. That shot alone shows lighting effects, vegetation, architecture, and photorealistic textures that the Xbox 2 can support, not just what you look at. The reason you guys were so happy about Far Cry and Doom 3 were the graphics. Everything else was shit :P

Xbox has a better lineup in third-party titles. They don't have to be original titles to be great. Hell, even the sequels are amazing. PS2 and Gamecube are much too overloaded with kiddy titles to keep me interested in it for too long, although I do really like their first-party titles.

Xbox 2 looks to dominate the next generation like PS2 did to this one, and I think it's doing a pretty damn good job. So far, it's the strongest technical machine out of the three of them, which was to be expected.

--

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.