Forum Thread
Exporting models from Cryengine 3 to 3ds Max (Forums : Level Design : Exporting models from Cryengine 3 to 3ds Max) Locked
Thread Options
Jul 6 2012 Anchor

I am now trying to export models from Cryengine 3 to 3ds Max. I know I have to use the "export as .obj" option, and I am; but when I import it into 3ds Max, the model shows up but not the material.

When I export a model from Cryengine 3, I get a .obj file and a .mtl file. 3ds Max takes the .obj file, but completely ignores the .mtl file. The file names are the same, and the path to the .mtl file is in the .obj (when I edit with notepad) so I guess the problem consists somewhere else.

I am using 3ds Max 2013.

SinKing
SinKing bumps me thread
Jul 6 2012 Anchor

Does the object have an Uv projection? Perhaps it can't apply the material and you have to assign it first.

Also it is quite possible that you have to make a material in 3D Max and then connect the differnt texture maps to the base material.

I can only guess. I have no experience exporting models from Cryengine, but in my understanding of 3D those are the errors I would expect.

--

User Posted Image

Jul 6 2012 Anchor

SinKing wrote: Does the object have an Uv projection? Perhaps it can't apply the material and you have to assign it first.

Also it is quite possible that you have to make a material in 3D Max and then connect the differnt texture maps to the base material.

I can only guess. I have no experience exporting models from Cryengine, but in my understanding of 3D those are the errors I would expect.

When I'm exporting the model, 3ds Max gives me errors where it says "modelname.tiff not found" and "modelnamePART.tiff not found". Then it exports the model.

--

Thank you, I fully understand what to do.

SinKing
SinKing bumps me thread
Jul 6 2012 Anchor

You need the tif texture(s). I don't know how to find the Crytifs for your model, but I guess you have the plugin for Photoshop. So open the texture in Photoshop and save it as a regular Tif or TGA, not crytiff or whatever they call their native format.

Then in your 3Ds make a material (or use the custom one) and connect the diffuse, normal and specular map to the respective shader nodes. I am not so sure about materials in Max either, since I use XSI. If you are not completely new to Max you should understand what to do, though.

It's not like you can export something from a game engine into a 3D program and expect it to appear there fully textured and with animations. That's what the game editor does. The software is just to create and check the content.

--

User Posted Image

Jul 6 2012 Anchor

Thank you very much, I fully understand what to do.

Edited by: hamtah

--

Thank you, I fully understand what to do.

BrandV3D
BrandV3D 3D Environment Artist
Jul 28 2012 Anchor

I'm going to research it and I'll have to get back to you, I always wanted to know how to do this too.

Here is what you need to do for a seamless integration with 3ds Max and CryEngine 3...

• First use 3ds Max 2012 (If you're a student you can download it for free at this link )

Students.autodesk.com

• Next go to CryEngine 3 SDK site and Download it

Mycryengine.com

Then when you DL that, there are the plug-in tools in the CryEngine Tool folder after you unzip the zip folder

Then go to this for help for the manual steps and guidance
Freesdk.crydev.net

Follow the instructions of the link above...

1.) You'll need the file in >CryEngine>Tools to go to> the 3ds Max 2012>plug-ins folder

2.) You will need to take the 3ds Max 201264 BitCryExport14_64.dlu to go into> 3ds Max 2012>Plugins folder (NOT plug-ins)

3.) You will also need to take the files: CryTIFPluginCS4_64 if you have a 64 bit machine otherwise use_32
and copy those into your photoshop CS5>Plug-ins folder (it will still work with CS4)

4.) Close Max if it is still open, the run Max
Go to the Utilities , then the More... Button...... Find CryEngine3 Exporter and hit ok

Ok you're all done with the install

Its a lot better using .cgf and CryTiffs

To learn the plug-in go to this link
Freesdk.crydev.net

Its pretty easy, for objects you use the object exporter tab, pick the object , export to .cgf, hit ... and then export nodes and then in CryEngine will open after you hit export nodes, then just throw a material on it (A crytif photoshop file).

For more info on how to use the exporter look at the link above for reference but its pretty easy once you get it installed and after you use it a half dozen times. Hope that was helpful, and enjoy.

Edited by: BrandV3D

--

Brandon Volpe
www.BrandonVolpe.com

Aug 25 2012 Anchor

great idea

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.