Forum Thread
Doom 3 mod idea---Beyond the Prism (Forums : Ideas & Concepts : Doom 3 mod idea---Beyond the Prism) Locked
Thread Options
Aug 26 2004 Anchor

Hi all, this is a mod idea that popped into my head earlier. I think, well, it's pretty unique. If you're interested, PM me for the real unique part of the storyline...unfortunately the entire game is the storyline, there's no real backstory (a rarity I believe in this day and age of game modding, no offense to anyone :)).

NOTE: This is the actual beginning of the game, not a backstory. You play through this.

Anyway, the game starts out with you, the player, as a space marine (keep reading). You're ship, while on it's regular patrol route. picked up a large object on radar, located in deep space near its location (please keep reading, I promise, it gets interesting).
It turns out to be a collossal ancient battleship, the Flintlock one that had been assumed lost during abnormal solar activity....your team boards the ship, attempting to find out what happened.....by the looks of things, everything's been dead for about 100 years or so. There are no remains of any human life on board, save for a few bleached bones. Your team's main mission at first is to restore lighting, full power, etc...however, once they get to the control room, they find the entire instrument panel is smashed. Nothing works, and it's impossible to start anything from the main bridge. The team is ordered to start everything from the auxilary control system near the main engines.
They continue down, down into the belly of the ship, searching for something, anything...faint glows from windows illuminate the empty, corroded and musty corridors.

Suddenly, a faint scream is heard....the team assumes it was nothing....but it keeps getting louder and louder, closer and closer. It sounds like it's coming from behind them, but suddenly it's from in front, then all sides. The shadows on the walls start to move, coming alive in the dim light. Dancing around, they move silently. Suddenly, one shoots a long, black arm straight at a soldier. He is slammed up against the opposite wall. Shooting wildly, his shrill screams of agony can be heard echoing down the hallway, mixing with the constant report of gunfire as he tries to kill whatever it is that has him. Suddenly, he straightens up, and his chest is thrown outward. Uttering one last scream, a blue light explodes from his body, and the shadow recedes into the wall, leaving him to slump silently to the floor.

Shocked, the team is gven order to open fire. They (and the player) begin to fire off at the walls, trying to kill whatever it is that hides upon them. Howveer, it soon proves that the shadows are impossible to hit, because as soon as a round approaches them, they dart off to another corner.

A shadow of a hand passes over a marine's pistol hand. Grunting, he's unable to resist it as his arm is pulled quickly over to a fellow marines, discharging a round into it, and doing the same to him soon after.
It continues on like this for some time, the shadows slowly cutting down more and more marines, either by controlling them or by killing them with the same black tentacle.

Eventually, all that's left is the player. Staggering, low on ammo and health, he is ordered to find his way back to the entry point. Running at full speed down a narrow corridor, his view shifts and staggers like the shadows on the wall (read: distortion effect). Suddenly, he hears the same screams approaching. They get closer and closer, until finally once again the shadows are on top of him. He fights desperately, but is soon overtaken, and falls. The view shifts as he falls to the ground, and when he hits the floor, the shadows slowly start to edge towards him, and his view fades to black.

It stays like that for a few seconds, until the blackness is broken by a bright white light. It's blurry at first, but grows brighter and brighter, until finally everything comes into focus. The light is moved away and replaced by a smiling face. The player is told that he/she had taken a nasty fall, and had been sleeping in the infirmary for the past few days.
The player is also informed (through small tidbits, like, here's your pistol, report to MP HQ as soon as you can), that he/she is a gaurd aboard....the Flintlock.
However, when the player is allowed to stand up, he/she sees that it is not the same Flintlock that they first boarded. At least, not exactly. The corridors and windows and everything else are all in the exact same place, but the ship is fully lighted with a pale, white glow reflecting off its white-painted corridors. Crewman walk smiling by, and everything is functioning normally...

And that's where the story that I can tell you ends.

Reason for doing this:
I want to scare people shitless.

Reason for using Doom 3:
It's advanced lighting techniques would be perfect for this.

Gameplay:

Actually very little combat until 3/4 of the way into the game (with the exception of the first fight, of course).

Sneaking and stealth.

Horror/Psychological gameplay.

A detailed and engaging storyline.

If you're interested in doing this, IM me on AIM (gbhunknowntarget), MSN (unkown_target01@yahoo.com), or e-mail me at unknown_target01@yahoo.com. You can even PM me here :D

Comments/questions/critisims? Please ask all questions that you want here, I'm open to answering anything :)

STRATCOM
STRATCOM Only slightly crazy
Aug 26 2004 Anchor

I AM VERY LOST. it sounds good though. was he telliported back in time or somthing

--

"I may not know anything but at least I am smarter then 90% of the people out there."

I just killed another form topic just by posting in it :(

"It does not smell like it is going to kill me"-My Brother

Aug 28 2004 Anchor

*bump* :)

EvilFish
EvilFish The Only Official ModDB Fish
Aug 28 2004 Anchor

NO BUMPAGE YOU SILLY NEWB!!1!!!1!one! ;(

jk kidding. looks good though its a bit hard to follow.

- Edited By Evilfish On Sat 28th, Aug 2004 @ 1:52:30pm

Aug 28 2004 Anchor

Lol, thanks :) It's explained further along, but since there's practically no backstory, and the entire game is the story, I can't tell you anything :D ;)

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.