Forum Thread
David Hunter 4 Enters Production (Forums : Pimpage & Posing : David Hunter 4 Enters Production) Locked
Thread Options
ambershee
ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks
Jan 9 2004 Anchor

Hey all :)!
This is a nice post to inform those who know of the David Hunter series, and those that know of Dh3 already in production that the planned fourth game in the series will commence production shortly.
It's been planned since the alpha release of David Hunter 1, and construction of David Hunter 2 began that there should be a series of four games to tell the entire story, in a way that allows the story to span the ages.
Also, as very few of you know, Dh4 is in actual fact a space sim / space RPG, so be warned!

You can grab an early version of the design document at;this address

All comments would be appreciated.
At this current point in time we are only looking for modelling staff and a highly experienced writer able to adapt to the universe that he has already been given.
We're awaiting approval of our ModDB profile, and a basic website will be erected soon. We're also waiting for Intense! to get back so that we can actually have a section for FreeLancer mods. Until then we're listed under FreeSpace 2.

The Ambershee

Edit: Damn remote linking disablers!
Put this into your browser:
Geocities.com

Second Edit: We've already found a writer, and I believe that we shall only be requiring the one. Only modeling positions are now open. Thanks :)

- Edited By ambershee On Fri 9th, Jan 2004 @ 5:10:47pm
- Edited By ambershee On Fri 9th, Jan 2004 @ 6:45:12pm

Jan 9 2004 Anchor

I'm a bit curious here, having not been involved with ModDB long enough to see DH1 or DH2. What exactly is the David Hunter series? Also, why the diverse game structure? Further, do you have teams for each mod, or does one team do the whole series?

Jan 10 2004 Anchor

Know where to post, fool. Moved.

- Edited By SeienAbunae On Fri 9th, Jan 2004 @ 10:07:13pm

--

User Posted Image

a_llama
a_llama Teh moddb llama
Jan 10 2004 Anchor

Ok, here is what i understand about the series:

DH1 is a Q3A mod, but one with no real team, just ambershee and loads of people who contributed one or two things to the mod. DH2 was gonna be the sequel, but was canned (can't remember why exactly). I think there may be plans to start it again. DH3 is going to be the theoretical sequel to DH2, and is going to be a hl2 mod.

ambershee
Jan 10 2004 Anchor

sorry bud - seemed like a mod idea to me considering nothing had at that moment been done other than the concept :)

Dh1 and 2 never really got to ModDB, I've not been here long enough for that and Dh1 entered production well before ModDB existed.

Dh1 was a very basic mod for Q3A, which originally set out as two different things - a 'David Hunter' mod on it's own and a 'Best of Quake 3' content, which were decidedly melded together into one nice big project.

Dh2 was my one man army project of mine to build a complete SP 3d shooter based on Quake II - it wasn't looking too hot and I decided that I should deal with the finalisation of Dh1 before constructing the sequal. It was also realised that noone other than myself would understand the progression between titles, thus scrapped until another time.

Dh3 is what fills in the storyline, explaining the whole Dh1 one thing which had nothing other than the fluff on the website to support it. Dh3 takes you through a large part of the story itself, and the rest is told within the game itself.

Dh4 is the logical sequal to Dh3, where over a hundred years has passed since the war with the David Clones, and is unlike the others, a flight sim rather than an fps game. It still uses WSAD movement and mouse gun control just like an fps mind.

Dh2 is the final part of the story, despite Dh4 being named 'the final battle'. Theres a whole explanation at both the end of Dh4 and at the beginning of Dh2 which should fill players in on what they need to know. Dh2 will start production after Dh3 and 4 are released, and despite their numbering are to be dealt with in that order.

A series of four games has been planned for some time now :)

The game structure is diverse, because it just seems like a nice idea to do so. It's making the whole story process very difficult because we're trying to get a rather nifty character orientated game capability going where multiplayer players can play in different factions simultaeneously if they so desire (EEK!) as part of an online universe that doesn't require player interaction for the game to progress to the end. (But if you die, well you won't be coming back). It makes things interesting how you could end up either with a black market style free trading organisation or with the uber military prowess of the UNDH to play through the game, which despite the intertwining storylines makes for six different campaigns alltogether. Admittedly it may be later decided that MP is impossible, that depends on how our coders can do with what we have.

Each game has ideally a seperate team due to the individual requirements of using different engines. The Dh1 team was only two people, myself and a code monkey to erase all my silly punctuation errors and compile it whilst I trolled the net to 'convince' people to submit their works to a 'best of Quake 3' compilation mod.

However, it may be likely that the Dh2,3,4 teams despite being mostly different teams may have a few crossover staff to keep continuity at a high level.

It would be nice to be able to answer more comments or questions :)

Jan 10 2004 Anchor

sounds cool

a_llama
a_llama Teh moddb llama
Jan 10 2004 Anchor

Very :D

ambershee
Jan 10 2004 Anchor

Hopefully Dh4 will be very cool. We've managed to 'acquire' an incredibly skilled writer who's going to deal with pretty much the entire storylines of our six factions, show how they intertwine and all end in the same predicament, in 'the final battle' against the clones.
Its all very complicated, because everything that happens in the game when you play as say the European faction still has to happen for the game to play properly when you were to play as the Chinese faction.
I'm looking forward to continuing the discussion of the plot with him greatly, even after only 40 minutes of conversation we're already talking about the complexities behind the political systems in place within our factions and the international relations between them, whilst later we'll have to consider all of our many characters in which this space 'RPG/Sim' revolves around greatly.
Expect some really good news soon, as we've already a modeller too :)

I'll now update our positions as to what we need in the team;
Another Modeller (Possibly Character orientated)
A Skinner for our current Modeller
A Concept Artist

Thanks for the interest :D

- Edited By ambershee On Sat 10th, Jan 2004 @ 5:49:12pm

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.