Forum Thread
David Hunter 3 (Dh3) is declared go! (Forums : Ideas & Concepts : David Hunter 3 (Dh3) is declared go!) Locked
Thread Options
ambershee
ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks
Dec 3 2003 Anchor

Hey all, I'm attempting to bring in the next installment of the David Hunter series into being, only this project could never be the one man band that the others had :)!

I'll quote myself from the modDB submission I just posted to avoid simply restating my last words ;)!

Hopefully the submission will go through 'cos this hasn't got much of a website to speak of yet, although expect the full Ambershee's write-up this weekend :)

"
David Hunter 3 is the theoretical sequel project to the David Hunter 2 project, which was abandoned last year.

But this project isn't entirely related to them so that doesn't matter!

At such an early stage, not much can be revealed other than the dreams and ideas of the author (myself). Dh3 has been generally accepted to be based upon realism-war-strategy titles like the Delta Force series, but on a slightly unrealistic scale.

Many realism games seem to lose some of their 'special holy goodness' as a whole due to their historical backgrounds and their stealth aspect.

In Dh3 we're hoping to reverse this by making a title set slightly into the future to avoid historical stuff, into the the
Dh Universe, where we have an almighty war, the likes of which have never been seen, on a magnitude that World War 2 could never have aspired to. Trench warfare has erupted across the entire band of western Europe, from the northmost point of Norway to the southernmost tip of Italy. The entire North and South American continents have been invaded by an incredibly unlikely regime of identical oppressors. Only New York City stands as a shining beacon in their darkest hours.

The concept behind this is to bring in some truly immense scale gameplay (obviosuly some liberal fogging may be required) where large armies collide in an amalganation of metal, bone and flame, the mission of the play is often merely to survive and aid his / her fellow soldiers.

We're also looking into creating several DF style objective missions with crack team deployment and strategem.

This promises to be a good project with some real space for expanding dependent on the level of input the team could develop.

High hopes for the future!
"

Just to give some perspective, but what are everyones thoughts on creating such a project - is it really feasible? Well definitely from a model / code PoV - it's just like any other Tc / mod really - but the mapping would need to be very comprehensive as well as detalied (script wise) and structered heavily to incorporate the 'big-battle' feel I'm looking to create.

As to another note is HL2 really a suitable engine for this anway? I'm not too sure how comfortably it will run with the number of polys that'll be required. Is another engine more suitable perhaps?

Thanks!

Also, may as well start recruiting whilst I'm ahead eh?
Give it some thought.

The ambershee

a_llama
a_llama Teh moddb llama
Dec 3 2003 Anchor

nice, i'm glad you decided to continue with your david hunter projects! i'd be happy to help you as a modeller, but i am learning, and i don't know if you need a moddeller anyway. What exactly do you need?

ambershee
Dec 4 2003 Anchor

Well, I've been constructing a modern weapons list based upon fairly new bits of kit that are available now for European agencies.

As a list I've gone for kitting out players with a choice of Sidearm, choice of Primary weapon and choice of Secondary, with mission specific kit also included.

SIDEARM
Glock 18
HK P2000
Valtro PM5 Compact

PRIMARY
HK MP-7 PDW
HK Mg43 SAW
HK 40mm CMG
Famas Felin G2
HK G36
Accuracy International Aw50
Geldmacher SVD

SECONDARY
C4 Satchel Charges
M72 LAWs
M18 Claymore with Sensor and Clackers

MISSION SPECIFIC
Flashbang Grenades
Fragmentation Grenades
Breaching Charges
Laser Artillery Designator

You can do your own research based on these weapons, but I've also managed to obtain fairly decent images to work off for the Sidearms and Primaries already.

We'll deal with weapons models naturally as they're the easiest to work with. Welcome to the team. I'm setting up shop in public forums at Ambershee.tk sometime tonight - look into the David Hunter Forum section, something should look fairly pronounced.

I'll upload the file with the images I've located somewhere soon too, expect a link included on the said forums with my own 'overviews' of what the project will turn into.

Thanks!

BtW, what's your level on modelling and skinning anyway? Do you have an example? It would be nice for me to have something to work on, so we know what to improve.

The Ambershee

a_llama
a_llama Teh moddb llama
Dec 4 2003 Anchor

i'll attempt at one of the weapons when i get a chance and i'll show you it :)

as for skinning, i don't have much experience, but i'll give it a go with the model I do :D

ambershee
Dec 4 2003 Anchor

Good stuff. I've posted the weapon images that I've collected in the Dh3 Developement Forums on Ambershee's now :)! Take a peek for a good look at some of the things that need doing. It's now open for discussion of what we're doing.

I'm about to update the Dh3 profile here at ModDB to include you as our first contributor! :)!

Good Luck!

a_llama
a_llama Teh moddb llama
Dec 4 2003 Anchor

site is down at the moment, i'll start work on one of the models tommorow

ambershee
Dec 4 2003 Anchor

down, down?

My site is never down.

Sure, go ahead and get a good start tommorow ;)! It's getting late over here anyways!

On another note, any other form of assistance for this project is greatly appreciated from anyone at all :)!

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.