Forum Thread
Poll: Would you be interested? (11 votes)
18 - Early 19th Century Shooter (Forums : Ideas & Concepts : 18 - Early 19th Century Shooter) Locked
Thread Options
Sep 5 2013 Anchor

Hello everyone, me and my Team are working on a game. We are wondering in what direction we should take it, and we thought this might be an interesting option. Being big Empire/Napoleon Total War fans, we noticed that not many other games focus on the period and where wondering if there was a certain level of interest in such a game. The game we were thinking of developing would be mainly multiplayer and include large Line Battles on open field, with much tactical maneuvering and the necessity of teamwork to win, but also close combat battles and team elimination style game modes. We wanted to include all types of scenarios, American Revolution, Battles in Europe, The Far East etc. with a lot of Factions and Units, which vary from map to map. The problems with making this kind of game were apparent to us immediately: We would need a pretty strong base of fans and people interested to start off with. A Line Battle with 4 people is hardly interesting, whereas a full Server (we are thinking about doing around 32 to 64, maybe more as Max Players) would result in an awesome, nerve wracking and tense battle. So what are your thoughts? Would you be interested in playing such a game? Please tell us your thoughts!

Edited by: Borzi

Sep 5 2013 Anchor

0 interest. There is a reason why nobody focuses on that area in FPSes. Battles those days were neither neve-racking (aside from the fear of death) nor exciting(again.)
Your best bet would be to mod some other semi realistic FPS or play M&B (has both napoleonic setting and guns now), chivalry, WotR.

Sep 5 2013 Anchor

Hmmm I would disagree (although I appreciate your opinion and take it to account). Battles does days where nerve wrecking and if done correctly, it can be a great game, but like you said, it has not been done before as many Devs try to play it safe and make more CoD clones. A good mix of melee and musket combat can resolve in a good game.

Sep 5 2013 Anchor

somonels wrote: 0 interest. There is a reason why nobody focuses on that area in FPSes. Battles those days were neither neve-racking (aside from the fear of death) nor exciting(again.)

I have a feeling people involved in such a war would disagree.

--

Go play some Quake 2: q2server.fuzzylogicinc.com
It's like Source v0.9, only... better!
Play Paintball for Doom 3!: d3server.fuzzylogicinc.com
Doom 3 Paintball to the Max!

Sep 5 2013 Anchor

To me this sounds great! Also I'm personally very interested in this time period myself so I'd really like to see a game like this!

Sep 5 2013 Anchor

TheHappyFriar wrote:

somonels wrote: 0 interest. There is a reason why nobody focuses on that area in FPSes. Battles those days were neither neve-racking (aside from the fear of death) nor exciting(again.)

I have a feeling people involved in such a war would disagree.

Hence my comments in parentheses.

Borzi wrote: Hmmm I would disagree (although I appreciate your opinion and take it to account). Battles does days where nerve wrecking and if done correctly, it can be a great game, but like you said, it has not been done before as many Devs try to play it safe and make more CoD clones. A good mix of melee and musket combat can resolve in a good game.

It HAS been done before.

Sep 5 2013 Anchor

Of course it has, but this game is old and very hard to play without a clan. Most of it's gameplay is very "hardcore". We are going more in the "Battle Grounds 2" direction, maybe with a bit more content, better graphics, a tad more realism and improved graphics. But you have said your opinion, so why repeatedly arguing on this post? You have made your point and are not interested, so why keep on posting?

Sep 5 2013 Anchor

This is an interesting idea, however I would suggest one thing. Don't go to hardcore with it, set it with in a historical theme and then allow yourself to spice things up. But in general the idea is interesting, the posibilities for character design alone are worth giving it a shot :)

Sep 5 2013 Anchor

rimau wrote: Don't go to hardcore with it, set it with in a historical theme and then allow yourself to spice things up.

Yes, we weren't gonna make it super hardcore like M&W, but you gave me an idea. We could make the gameplay a bit more arcadisch (but not simplified to the point where it's CoD stupid), make the graphics a bit toony, and add some interesting class system elements, for example that being next to certain players with other classes gives you buffs (like in Lead & Gold). I do wanna keep it Teamwork based :3

grouchbag
grouchbag I art grouchier than thou.
Sep 12 2013 Anchor

I would play this if it were an FPS standalone. 8)

Edited by: grouchbag

--

"sweet"  little old lady

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.