Xash3D Engine has been updated to the version 0.99 with new build 3887, and you can grab it here: Moddb.com
This is pre-release version, which brings many changes, so if you interested in development of the engine, please try it now and comment what do you think, because there are more things to do before final release, and you have some time to test everything and help to make Xash3D better. As always, there are compiled binaries for Windows, full source code for the engine and tools, the list of changes and (a bit outdated) documentation about the engine, plus game dll-files with some additional improvements which should go into 'valve' folder to replace old ones.
This build provides many innovations, improvements and bug fixes. Due to numerous and significant changes, it still may contain some minor bugs and incompatibilities with some of previously tested Half-Life mods, so Unkle Mike decided to share this version on public to make sure, that final release will be rid of most of potential issues.
There are some of most noticeable changes:
- Better predicting system and different improvenents for multiplayer / network. Please take a notice, that networking protocol has been updated too, so this build will NOT be compatible in multiplayer with servers / clients runned on previous builds.
- Numerous changes in the engine and rendering system to make different things (like lighting, models, beams, sprites, decals, fog, particles, rendermodes etc.) look as possibly close as they look in GoldSrc (or even better).
- Compatibility changes for Intel iGPUs (fixing of issues like 'red walls' and such).
- Implementation of some additional features from Quake and DarkPlaces engines (aguirRe's TxQBSP 'broken' clipnodes, BSP2 format, alias models, external colored lighting, WAD2 format etc.). Some of changes were made for new Unkle Mike's project QWrap (it's a wrapper, which allows to play Quake and its mods directly via Xash3D Engine, without porting of any game content).
- Implementation of boneweighting on studiomodels (which is intended to be in future a working feature in Paranoia 2: Savior or games / mods based on its code).
- New mpeglib version to prevent some issues with MP3s.
- Additional GoldSrc-like changes: software-only gamma, brightness (still called 'Glare reduction' in menu, but now works properly), 'MP3Volume' (instead of 'musicvolume') etc.
- Different fixes/improvements everywhere (engine, file system, sound system, input, rendering, network, server, client, console, game menu).
- Fixed compatibility or added a possible solution for previous issues in such Half-Life mods as Azure Sheep, Black Guard, Black Ops, Chemical Existence, Cthulhu, Friendship 2.0, Gunman Chronicles, Heart of Evil, PARANOIA, Poke646, Poke646: Vendetta, Stargate SG-1 Missions, Sweet Half-Life, They Hunger, Visitors etc.
Due to some of compatibility reasons Unkle Mike decided to remove the support of HD textures ('materials') from the engine. If you have some suggestions about that, please comment too.
If you have any troubles with using of Xash3D, please check this manual: Moddb.com
Pay attention, that Xash3D-based mods (such as XashXT, Paranoia 2: Savior, Quake Remake) are not compatible with build 3887 yet, because their game code is closely associated with old features of Xash3D Engine. So please wait until they are properly updated too.