Alpha 10 has arrived! This time we’ve added a new "joy" need with a bunch of ways to fulfil it, new timetable, outfits, and thing filter management tools, and dozens of smaller improvements. A full change list is at the end of this post.
If you own the game, you can get Alpha 10 by re-downloading from the link you used before (it is a permanent link and always has the newest version). You should also get an update email from us. Anyone still having trouble should start at this thread. There may be a delay of some hours before your download count resets or your email arrives.
Also note that this build will not load old savegames or old worlds, so please don't try to load these in the new version. They'll probably just crash the game.
- New joy need added. Colonists want to have "joy", which means anything that lets the stop working and enjoy themselves for a while.
- Added joy sources
- Social relaxation around campfire or table, with or without beer
- Horseshoes game
- Television (purchasable)
- Telescope for astronomy (purchasable)
- Added armchair and dining chair
- There are various kinds of joy. Repeated use of the same kind of joy builds up a tolerance, reducing its impact. Colonists will prefer joy sources they are not already tolerant to. Result: it’s beneficial to provide a variety of joy sources.
- New outfits manager system added. You can design 'outfits' (restrictions on what a colonist is allowed to a wear) and assign them to colonists in a central interface. Colonists will then independently work to find the best apparel possible given their outfit and the current season. They will automatically switch out damaged apparel for better apparel, or poor-quality apparel for high-quality apparel.
- If the player manually assigns apparel, the colonist will never remove it until the manual assignment is cleared.
- New timetable system added. You can assign each colonist a daily timetable which describes when they should sleep, work, have joy, or decide on their own.
- Colonists can fall unconscious on their own if over-exhausted.
- Reworked how melee verbs are selected so they’ll be selected with a bit more randomness. e.g. Someone with one scyther blade hand won’t use it exclusively; you’ll need to get them two if you want a true killing machine.
- Beer can now be wielded as a weapon (like wood).
- Passion flames are now displayed subtly on the work overview screen.
- New end credits song from Al!
- Reduced skill degradation rate.
- Day length extended from 24,000 to 30,000 ticks. Days per month reduced from 12 to 10.
- Hunters will now approach and execute downed animals at close range.
- Reworked food search so it smoothly integrates information about food distance, taste, and psychological preference to get the most optimal food source.
- Health tab now displays overall bleeding rate.
- Starvation and blood loss are now staged and affect consciousness as they worsen.
- Reworked how skills generate so there will be more initial skill variation and age affect starting skills more.
- Rebalanced and reformatted plant ecology tunings to lengthen crop cycles and slow wild plant spread. Reworked plant growth in relation to light levels so plants can still grow slowly in dim light (e.g. tundra summers).
- Pain now creates unhappiness.
- String lists are now part of language data and can be translated.
- Butcher table, sculptor’s table, and stonecutter’s table can now be made of various stuffs.
- Trees are no longer sowable. Traders carry wood.
- Characters will now sometimes resist arrest.
- You can now set a minimum skill level on bills.
- Visitors will now carry away wounded guests from their faction.
- Hunted animals will occasionally fight back. Some animals always fight back.
- Doctors now automatically rescue downed colonists.
- Generalized toggle power interaction to ‘switch flicking’ and applied it to power switch toggling and door locking as well as building power on/off.
- Many many other fixes, adjustments, and optimizations.