After much hard work, Return to Na Pali: Ultimate Edition v1.1 HD has been released! For anyone not up to speed, this is a polished conversion of RTNP for Unreal Tournament '99, complete with 10 new levels restored from beta content originally cut from Unreal. Version 1.1 HD now contains high-resolution custom/beta skins, as well as a few extra surprises! This is meant to be used alongside the recently released High-Res Skins mod.
Here is an overview of features:
- RTNP conversion to UT99, without the pesky bugs that have come with previous RTNP conversions.
- Bug fixes, texture alignments, game play enhancements, and more for the original 17 RTNP levels
- 10 new levels, completely restored from cut Beta content of Unreal. This content has been modified to fit right in with RTNP, including proper transitions between levels. The content has also been enhanced with better lighting, game play, sounds, new stories and more. All of it feels right at home!
- Restored music from the beta releases, which are used in the new maps and even some of the old maps.
What exactly is new with Version 1.1 HD?
Not long ago, a High-Res Skins mod was released that replaced all the low-res skins of Unreal & RTNP with high-resolution, detailed versions. However, this mod lacked any HD skin replacements for the new custom skins or beta skins unique to the Ultimate Edition of RTNP. Version 1.1 remedies that!
Thanks to the extremely generous Noveria, part 1 of a video walkthrough now exists! For anyone not familiar with her video walkthroughs, you definitely need to check out her YouTube channel.
The original Return to Na Pali Ultimate Edition started out as a basic idea to not only get RTNP working properly in UT99, but also to implement the cut Unreal beta levels. What started out as a simple project turned in to a complete overhaul of not only the beta content, but the official RTNP maps. Version1 was released in 2011, and received good feedback. Fast forward to this year, and the high-res skins project, UnrealHD, was released. However, RTNP:UE was suddenly starting to look a bit dated with the low-res beta/custom skins mixed with the high-res skins. As such, I promptly decided to give the custom skins a complete makeover as well.
Along with the changes listed above, v1.1 also has these features:
- 50 new high-resolution skins to replace the old low-res beta skins and custom skins of RTNP:UE.
- Never-before seen beta skins have been introduced in this release, as well as a few new custom skins (all in high-res)
- A few new stories have been added.
- Some very minor game play tweaks and bug fixes, including quieter footstep sounds.
Please read ALL the installation/configuration instructions in the readme file, or in the description of the Moddb page. Also, do NOT forget to download the high-res skins for Unreal, which is meant to be used alongside this release! The mod will run without them, but is rather pointless with only some of the skins replaces in HD...
This project was conceived by, managed by, and mostly done by me (Lightning Hunter), and the new high-res skins were done by me. However, there are a lot of other people to credit! Please read the include readme file or the description on the main page for all who contributed and helped with this project.
NOTE: Please read the included text document or description on detailed installation instructions!
I don't want questions asked of me that are already answered in there.