Mass Effect 3's First Details
The latest issue of Game Informer contains a ton of details about Mass Effect 3. The first round of information is beginning to trickle in, which you can read about below. We’ve also included a blurry scan/magazine image (via GameFAQs) from the issue.
- Game begins with Shepard on Earth
- Shepard is on trial in regard to the events of Arrival
- Reapers invade while the trial is happening
- Prologue: Shepard’s escape to the Normandy, off to start finding allies, fighting Reaper troops
- Squadmates include Liara, Ashley/Kaiden, Garrus, James Sanders
- Screenshot shown of Ashley with her hair down
- Confirmed appearances (may not be squadmates): Wrex, Mordin, Legion, and Anderson
- Game will show a “previously on Mass Effect” comic to make decisions if you’re starting from scartch
- The Illusive Man plays a big role
- Cerberus is out to kill Shepard
- Enhanced RPG elements
- More freedom with character skills
- Larger skill trees
- Powers will evolve several times, not just once
- Weapons are like the ones in Mass Effect 2, have a set list
- Mods returning, swap out different parts such as barrels, scopes (effect both the weapon’s combat performance and its appearance)
- All classes can wield all weapons unhindered now,
- There will be limited slots to carry these weapons
- Soldier can carry all weapons at once
- Adept, Engineer, and Sentinal will likely be limited to two weapons, three for Vanguard and Infiltrator
- Numerous endings
- Who you have in your squad and which allies you recruit greatly impact the endings that are available
- No multiplayer
- Dead Space's envo irnment HUD
Mass Effect: Deception Book
When you need a game-related sci-fi novel -- like, stat! -- you call William C. Dietz. The man's something of a legend, churning out at least a book a year since the mid-80s, and in recent years adapting the likes of Halo, Hitman, Resistance and StarCraft into those neat little paper-filled rectangles you see piled into shelves at your folks' place or stacked by the toilet.
This is why William C. Dietz was hired to get a fourth Mass Effect novel in to publisher Del Rey early this year, so it could be released ahead of Mass Effect 3. (That, and Drew Karpyshyn, lead writer of the first game and author of the existing three companion novels, has made a galactic shift to The Old Republic.)
Right on schedule, Del Rey today announced the title of this latest work of fiction, Mass Effect: Deception. Due out this fall, Deception will continue the story of Gillian Grayson, who was introduced in the second book, Ascension -- in case you've been reading along. We're not sure if William C. Dietz has or not, but then he's pretty adept at making stuff up.
Buy Now: amazon.com or randomhouse.com
The novel is scheduled for release on September 27, 2011.
Mass Effect Anime Coming Next Summer
Mass Effect 3 won’t be the last time you’ll be able to sink your teeth into BioWare's revered sci-fi universe. Well after the release of the third game in the series later this holiday 2011, expect to have your first experience with a direct-to-DVD Mass Effect anime created by the same dudes behind the forthcoming Dragon Age anime, T.O. and Funimation Entertainment.
The press release announcing this venture was light on details--the project doesn’t even have a public-facing name at this point, which is, you know, important. But EA did make it known that Mass Effect executive producer Casey Hudson will serve the same roll on the film, which is slated for a release in summer 2012. Also, there’s this brilliant synopsis embedded in the press materials: “[the anime] will tell the tale of an epic science fiction adventure set in a vast universe filled with dangerous alien life and mysterious, uncharted planets.” Nothing screams generic sci-fi adventure quite like that!
"Partnering with Funimation ensures that we will bring this rich universe to life with the utmost quality and the same attention to detail that the Mass Effect games are known for,” Hudson said in a statement about the anime.
An actual Mass Effect live-action movie is reportedly in development, too, but reports on that Legendary Pictures adventure haven't snuck out since the initial reveal by The Hollywood Reporter back in May.
That Dragon Age anime, by the way, is still slated for a release in 2011. Like this Mass Effect joint, a guy who has an intimate connection the game series it’s based on, BioWare creative director Mike Laidlaw, will be overseeing it.
No Tali ? WHY !?
maybe he just missed her?
i'm just happy Liaras back her she was the bomb xD
Tali is an annoying gypsy though :L But why break tradition bioware?
Not having Tali doesn't make sense, esp if she was romanced in ME2 and survived.
My guess is that they're just mentioning Liara, Ashley/Kaiden, Garrus and James to show that their keeping some current (as of ME2) squadmates, bringing back some old ones, and adding some at least one new one.
Why does Cerberus want Shephard dead? I was best buds with them in ME2. I even gave them a fancy collector space station.
Maybe he depleted all of his usefulness in making Cerberus ultra powerful, and he is now a liability, so they are to remove him. That is my best guess.
Tali will be back.
Man I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS ! About Tali, she will be in Mass Effect 3, don't worry about that. Thane, That Justicar Samara are coming back too. Not sure about bounty hunters though. Jack, Zaeed, won't be back I can guarantee you that :). Kasumi is definitely coming back, as for her "graybox" stolen memory, it's about an Allian ****. It's important though, we can excpet new,old squad members. I'm not fammiliar with "James" guy. ALL IMPORTANT PEOPLE ARE COMING BACK!
I have only one doubt.... By your personal think did you presume that this will be a definitive squadmates list or only simply prevision ?
No... here's what I think:
- Kasumi ( stolen memory) its important because of that imporant information about an Alliance, we don't know what it is, but we will find it out in ME3
- Jack...not sure, she's only accepted cause you saved her in ME 2 from Pergatory.
-Thane ... well maybe, because you saved his son and he said he owes you, and so did Samara, cause you helped her taking down the "jardak yakshi" or wtf it was (her daugther).
- Zaeed .... only a bounty hunter, he doesn't give a ****, about galaxy
-Tali ... of course she has an important role.... geth vs quarians, trying to take over their planet again, so they can live normally again
-Legion... definitively coming back, because geth will have an imporant roll there too
-Miranda.... she's a Cerberus's bitch.. so called
- Jacob... he's just a gun for hire... not sure, he's boring too
-Mordin.... hell yeah he's coming back
-Grunt... naah he's probably not coming
-Garrus... TRUE STORY ! he's probably coming back ,because he was already in ME 1 and ME2 ... (and he will have an important role too, I'm trying to define that conclusion) xD
- and for the other people ... you already know. :) that's only and my predictions.
Damn didnt mean to reply to a comment.
I'm just glad Bioware has all of these details for people to see
I'm glad that Garrus is back. Kinda still hoping for Wrex and Legion would be awesome!