to the July 15th RTTF. We are halfway through July and the Dev team has still been working hard on converting the game over to the Orange Box. If you notice that this RTTF is slightly shorter and want to complain, it is simply because there have not been many RTTF questions coming to the inbox of Hunnicutt or myself, Eric Murphy. Maybe a little less complaining and little more correctly submitted questions will help.
I would like to start the news off with the usual... a welcome:
Ryan “Hell’s High” Cameron
Ryan will be taking over Joe's animating job. You already saw some of his work with the carbine on the 1st of the Month Update on the main page. That is when we first gave word of his presence. He will
also be reworking some of the other weapon animations which you may get to see at a later time.
Onto other news. The Beta Testers continue to be a great help. The testers really do help move progress along pretty fast. At one point we were having new beta builds nearly every day. Short of some major bugs that our coders are hard at work trying to fix, things are
Robin Morris has done some more work on Carentan Causeway. I am almost in love with this map. I am sure when you all get to play it, you will love it too. Interestingly enough, I was going to show you all
some even better stuff, but it is too top secret apparently. Oh well... here are some sweet screenshots:
Now for the RTTF Q and A’s:
1. In the video "RNL Weapon Shorts", you see the BAR firing at a window and it breaks as it should (breaking as pieces, not as a whole as it does in the current version). So, will the func_breakable_surf entity work in the next release (cause thats the entity causing this kind of breaking for other source games)?
Back then windows weren't coated and simply broke into large pieces. So technically, the shattered glass from HL2 is the unrealistic one. Also we avoided func_breakable_surf in order to keep the strain for both clients and servers down. But as PCs are getting stronger that should not be that much of an issue anymore.
2. The animations for the new weapons are AWESOME! Very life-like! I have a question though, what about the MG animations?
The MG will most likely be redone before we release. Our animation dept is currently the most active one – oddly enough.
3. I see you are in Beta Testing, how can I be part of that?
Well as the news posts says on our main site we just need some information. It is really easy to sign up here is what was posted:
1) If you haven't already, sign up on the forums.
2) Send a PM to either myself (BJ Hunnicutt) or Eric Murphy with your information and desire to beta test.
3) We will need to know if you have done any testing in the past, your location and if you can be available at a moment's notice. Feel free to tell us a bit about yourself and why you should be a beta tester.
4. What do I have to do if I become a Beta Tester?
Simple, play the Beta as often as you can with the team members. If you don't have Skype, you will need it to communicate with the devs and setup play times with other testers. You will also have to report any bugs you find. The biggest job of a beta tester is to be positive and up beat. Remember you are finding problems so the public doesn't get a crappy game. You are here for that and it is our hope you find them all.
5. What do you need from us for the Map Contest?
We will need a playable map. It can be a WIP or partly done, however we will need to be able to load it up in game and "play" it. There are several factors that we will be grading it on, none of which put a finished map above a WIP.
That is it from the PR team for this update. Also, be sure to send in your questions for the next mid month Rttf as soon as possible. Without your questons, you would get no answers.
Thank you for all your support and donations.