For a limited time (next 17 hours as of this post) GOG.com is giving away free copies of AvP Classic 2000. All you have to do is head on over and sign up for their Galaxy test. A key should arrive in your mail shortly.
Also, I decided to write easy step-by-step instructions on how to prevent those pesky crashes at the end of certain missions. This method should work for the vast majority of you:
- Go to the AvP Classic 2000 directory.
- Find AvP_Classic.exe and right click, select Properties
- Select the Compatibility tab
- Check the compatibility mode for Windows 98/Windows ME
- Check Disable visual themes
- Check Disable desktop composition
- Check Disable scaling on high DPI settings
- Check Run this program as administrator
- Hit Apply and OK
- Double click AvP_Classic.exe to run the game.
I'm using Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and confirmed it 100% solved any issues.