A total-conversion for Doom inspired on NAM/Napalm 98 and Rising Storm Vietnam. Features jungles, reasonably accurate period weapons, and lots of gore, environmental destruction, and soon to feature demons too. This is still Doom after all.

Forum Thread
Alpha 0.1 Bugs and relevant Observations (Games : Doom II : Mods : VietDoom : Forum : Bug reporting : Alpha 0.1 Bugs and relevant Observations) Locked
Thread Options
Dec 9 2019 Anchor

Bugs:

-Fire hitboxes are way bigger than the actual sprites.

-RPG has some weird issues with not allowing you to use bandages or melee while holding it. Instead, you will apply the bandage once you switch to a different weapon.

-Grenades sometimes don't explode? I couldn't reliably repeat this one. It seems to have something to do with landing right at the edge between a surface and a wall. One of my own grenades actually blew up under my feet way after I had cleared the area and I ended up stepping on it.

-Bushes with red and dark blue (black?) berries don't actually drop any food

-Enemies tend to flat out explode from simple bullets on higher difficulties which feature increased player damage output.

-M16 currently has two bullets too few per mag (18 on dry reload, 19 on full).

-Damaging some props like trees and bushes will spawn the blood effect.

Not exactly bugs:

-Rocks have strange hitboxes. The taller ones tend to have hitboxes that are too wide and are annoyingly in the way when you clearly see that your bullets should go past them while the lower ones don't seem to feature any hitboxes for the smaller rocks scattered around the middle one. The latter of the two isn't much of an issue but the former gets in the way of gameplay.

-Enemies can see through vegetation easy enough because they're AI controlled, obviously. However, I occasionally had trouble seeing enemies past trees and bushes, who had no trouble targeting me.

-Health regeneration seems to work the wrong way around? You regenerate health while you're already high on HP but you regenerate nothing while heavily injured, despite having above half full food and water bars.

-Consumable water is disproportionately rare. You can find plenty of food in form of rations and misc fruit around the maps but water seems to be very hard to find and is usually only found in camps, occasionally, or very rarely drops from enemies.

-The AK-47 (and RPK to some degree) appears to be the dominant strategy as of now. There's way more ammo for it than you can carry, since almost every enemy drops a magazine, it has a higher mag capacity than the M16 or M14 and has very controllable recoil, even while strafe running. It's primary downside appears to only be the slightly lower firerate compared to US rifles.

Might make sense to increase spread and recoil considerably while the player is running, as well as keeping spread and recoil relatively the same for US rifles, to give you a good reason to use those over the AK.
That and perhaps there should be more US ammo pickups. For example: there's plenty of friendly soldier squads on Hotdog Hill, so you could add some US ammo to their spawns. Also, US soldiers are too rare to be a reliable source of ammo after dying, so you still risk running dry even with a few of them around.

-There's little to no reason to risk taking high damage from engaging an enemy with melee. Bayonets help but the fact that you can't one-hit-kill enemies with them still leaves you open for retaliation, if you're not quick and careful.
Maybe bayonet's and the regular knife could have a similar rate of fire but the bayonet is an instant kill while the knife requires one, MAYBE two follow up strikes.

-Loose helmets look a bit too similar to grenades. It might make sense to make grenades stick out more, visually. Perhaps by giving them a stronger outline or some white details, like it's implied there's some text printed on them.

-Vehicles retain the same HP on higher difficulties, meaning they take a lot of damage from being hit by bullets. Increased explosion damage would be fine but having a couple dozen VC tear through your armor with AK rounds so fast seems a little unbalanced.

My opinion:

I like the slower, more methodical gameplay and the classic 'Nam atmosphere. I was surprised with how bug-free the core features and gameplay mechanics are for an alpha demo. Good work. I look forward to future updates!

Dec 10 2019 Anchor

While you're holding M1911 with full magazine and press reload button, one pistol round will dissappear one by one.

Dec 11 2019 Anchor

Ok besides the already mentioned bugs here are some more
-if you reload the shotgun (haven’t tried other weapons) and while doing that you run out of ammo, the weapon sprite disappears and while that you cant switch weapons or quick nife.

-The Vietnamese Mg gunner prone sprite hittbox is a little of. If you want to hit them in you have to aim in front of them

-If you drive in the last tank level with a tank against the ally tank before he starts driving (probably before the script triggers) he will just explode instantly.

-sometimes ally marines get stuck on top of turrets after you use them since they kind of follow you on top of them.

Dec 11 2019 Anchor

Just a note, there is no bug with the M16.
They never loaded more than 18 bullets on the 20 round mags because it could jam the gun.

And half full is not enough to regenerate health, it must be above 70%.

Edited by: Sergeant_Mark_IV

Dec 12 2019 Anchor
Sergeant_Mark_IV wrote:

Just a note, there is no bug with the M16.
They never loaded more than 18 bullets on the 20 round mags because it could jam the gun.

And half full is not enough to regenerate health, it must be above 70%.

Speaking of which, the AK usually wasn't loaded over 27 either.

Dec 14 2019 Anchor

So, i was playing VietDoom, i reloaded the weapon i was holding at that time, i believe it was the shotgun, and right after the reload animation the weapon disappeared from my screen and i couldnt switch to any other weapon to use. Then i made the mistake of saving where i left and now my progress is stuck there without a gun on my screen or the ability to switch to another. So thats the bug i encountered, i dont know if there is a simple fix for now or it will be fixed in the next update, but i thought it would be worth mentioning. Thanks in advance.

Edited by: mileprvulovic170

Dec 15 2019 Anchor

I'm not sure if the file is case insensitive but in AmmoTypes.txt the ammo type "MechMortarAmmo" had a capital O where I assume there should be a lowercase one.

Dec 19 2019 Anchor

Sergeant_Mark_IV,

I've encountered many bugs, most of which seem to be detailed here. One that is killing the gameplay for me:

Trees fall down, stack, then slowly slide down to completely obstruct my view. Watching your recent videos showing maps 01-04 I didn't see this issue so I don't think its the feature working as intended.

EDIT: If you want to see the tree glitch in action I can upload some footage, just let me know.

Edited by: Kills_Alone

Dec 22 2019 Anchor

On mission 2 Assault yeah water is frustratingly rare when your sneaking through the jungle taking out the artillery guns. Maybe those food/water pickups could give more of that resource.

Noticed that fences bleed as well as the trees.

Weapon drops from enemies in towers will fall through the floor of the tower behind the ladder which the player cannot pickup unless you blow up the tower.

On mission 2 "Assault" there is a canteen between two beds in the corner of one of the buildings that the player cannot pickup by the 3rd artillery gun, i think the beds are too close together maybe.

Edited by: BLOODWOLF333

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.