"We just have received word that a group of terrorists took over the Lonely Weapons Laboratory near Seattle. No more information are currently available. The CEO of Lonely Weapons, Fuzzy Mcgee is currently missing and we have not been able to establish contact with the terrorists. Your main objective is to infiltrate the laboratory and find Mcgee. Find information. I want to know who is behind this." The third person mod, Half-Life: Tactical Espionage Action puts the player in the role of secret agent Frank Johnson. His mission? To stop evil!
Not my style, and definitely challenging, but it is well detailed and the amount of work put into it shows for itself.
I'm just not into stealth games, and the amount of deaths and frustrations kept on mounting until I shut the mod off in anger.
While the concept of the gameplay mechanics found in TEA aren't groundbreaking in games in general, they are pretty unique and unheard of for Half-life, TEA goes for the kind of thing that I don't think anyone else has tried to do with Half-life (I might be wrong, clearly I haven't played every mod out there).
The balancing and behavior of the AI opponents is sufficiently challenging without being unfair, the interface is clean and easy to understand, if you observe how it is affected by what's going on (ie being in a well lit environment), the story is straightforward but enjoyable and I found it to be a fun experience overall.
My only criticisms are that the MGS alert track seems to be a bit louder than the other tracks, and that the writing of the dialogue can come off a bit strange at times, I won't judge the acting itself because it seems to me that english is not the first language of the actors, so that's fine, but the subtitles themselves could probably use some polishing. I understood what was being said, anyway, so it's no big deal.
I give Tactical Espionage Action an 8, it was fun! I liked it a lot, pretty fresh and unique. A love letter to Metal Gear Solid, in many ways (loved hearing a certain character making a small cameo).
The game is rather frustrating at parts and isn't entirely polished, but it's got fantastic gameplay and is really enjoyable to play through to completion, no matter how frustrating that ******* tank part is.
* actually a third person shooter in half-life!
* great level design.
* the story is OK, kind of reminds me of metal gear solid, but not nearly as good.
* stealth is more of a gimmick than anything, whenever you're allowed to kill you're just better off killing or sprinting through.
* can't save wherever you want, which is really annoying in combat levels.
* annoying death animation (screen fading).
* pretty buggy (was able to reach objectives even though I got the mission failed screen).
* the combat system is frustrating and bad:
- you've only got two ways to defend yourself, some weird knife kick and your gun.
- meanwhile your enemies got real SMGs and grenades which they will spam at you.
- the weird knife kick is practically useless.
- you are clearly using an SMG, but you have to tap as fast as possible to shoot like one.
- iron sight doesn't let you look all the way up when it's needed.
* takes about an hour to complete.
I can see that a lot of work was put into this, but there's so much you can do with an old unmodified engine...
as a fan of Splinter cell series I really enjoyed this mod, Objectives, Stealth, Well designed environment, just awesome .
I might not have completed it yet but im sure it'll be awesome! anyway could you add a backup weapon and Ammunition?
Nice to see something different from the HL Mod community!
Loved it! At some points I was about to break my keyboard. LOL!
No reviews were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the review list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Join now to share your own content, we welcome creators and consumers alike and look forward to your comments.