This mod intends to add various weapons from all around the globe to Misery mod, weapons of every stalker's dream. Suggestions, Feedbacks and points of view are very welcomed ! Have fun with these new toys !

Forum Thread
IMI Galil ARM 7.62 (Mesh issue?) (Games : S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat : Mods : The Armed Zone : Forum : Errors and bugs : IMI Galil ARM 7.62 (Mesh issue?)) Locked
Thread Options
Aug 14 2019 Anchor

I repeat, this is not an issue with this mod, but it's a long standing one that I'm kinda surprised has yet to be addressed.

It has to do with one firearm in particular and one only - The IMI Galil (renamed IMI Galil ARM 7.62).

When this gun lays flat on even ground, you're screwed. You can't pick it up. You simply just can't. You get the notification to press F to Pick it up when hovering over it, but nothing happens. Even more telling, the icon for the gun doesn't pop up, as if you're not actually within grabbing distance. It's like it's model is an illusion, fooling you into thinking its there, when its actually further away and out of reach. If you can catch this gun propped up against something, it acts fine and can be picked up like any other gun. Its when it's laying flat on its side that its there, but it's not.

See, here's the thing. This isn't a TAZ issue. In fact, I don't think it's even a Misery issue. I think it's the gun model itself. I'm almost certain I've seen this issue in every mod in CoP/CoC that gun appears in. None of the other Galil variants have this issue. Not the SAR, not the MAR or even the plain ARM. I gotta wonder what the hell is up with that one gun?

I've encountered it far too many times, just lying there after a battle, especially when I know it's got some sweet 7.62 left in the mag to plunder, but I just can't touch it. And god forbid I find one early in a playthrough, when it'd be nice to try and use....

With the Spawn Dialog, this issue is easily produced on demand. Just spawn it, drop it, and try to pick it back up. Nada.

How could such a glaring issue have made it this far?

Edited by: Servalion

Aug 14 2019 Anchor

If it's a gun model issue than it IS a TAZ issue xD I make models you know, all of them, so if one is bugged than it's a mistake I've made and need to fix.

This issue is not a model matter, in fact, it's an engine/game issue, either the engine fails registering the gun's position on the level OR the level itself is bugged and has black wholes sucking guns in. What you're facing is rather possible to fix, well, not my job to fix, but it is you who can solve it, all you need to do is run over and jump on the gun, eventually it will come out of the position it is stuck in, or, sunk in deeper and gets lost into oblivion :)

Aug 14 2019 Anchor

Yeah I had it happen with various guns, mostly AK variants, I noticed it's probably long magazines that somehow "pierce" the ground level after the drop, but if you try to run into it on sprint the physics should work and allow you to "kick" it out of the ground, then you can pick it up, sometimes also leaning while looking at ground works, it brings you slightly closer to ground and sometimes you can manage to pull out these Excalibur-ass guns

Aug 14 2019 Anchor

Oh and high fov has a huge factor on this, remember the fask on the bloodsuckers layer? the one under the fallen fence beside the dead stalkers. With high fov the flask becomes almost impossible to reach, anything higher than 85 is probably a no chance at picking the thing. This can also be the reason why some guns become hard to pick from the ground, maybe their size is smaller than it should and the high fov makes the camera somewhat farther than the ground, therefore you may want to crouch down to get closer. This is just my suspicion.

Aug 15 2019 Anchor
niick wrote:

Yeah I had it happen with various guns, mostly AK variants, I noticed it's probably long magazines that somehow "pierce" the ground level after the drop, but if you try to run into it on sprint the physics should work and allow you to "kick" it out of the ground, then you can pick it up, sometimes also leaning while looking at ground works, it brings you slightly closer to ground and sometimes you can manage to pull out these Excalibur-ass guns

I think you're talking about something a bit different, but I know exactly what. I've seen several guns like that today, like when you go away for a good while and come back, and most guns that still remain on the ground got set to an upright position on the ground, like someone intentionally set them up to look like display pieces. I noticed an MP40 earlier with only its top on the ground - the rest had sunken below it. One of the various Winchester shotguns was the same not long after. After running over them to the side, I managed to flip them over as usual, and the model came completely above the ground, and was available to pick up. I assure you though, this one's different.

If it's a gun model issue than it IS a TAZ issue xD I make models you know, all of them, so if one is bugged than it's a mistake I've made and need to fix.

Oh? Well, under the Spawn Dialog, the wpn_galil is under "Firearms: Large Cal. Assault Rifles" and not the TAZ item section, so I figured it was simply a holdover from Misery. Granted, if you made that weapon too, this might be an interesting case.

In fact, in deciding to spawn it again and try your idea of stomping on it a bit (lol), I discovered something new. To my surprise, when I spawned it and dropped it, I was able to pick it up without issue like any other gun. This was on a flat street surface right behind the Jubilee in Pripyat. So I picked it back up and tried it a few more times.

Equipped it. Dropped it. It fell on its left side, right side facing up. Works. Picked it back up.

Dropped it again. Fell on its left side, right side facing up. Works. Picked it back up.

Dropped it again. Fell on its left side, right side facing up. Works. Picked it back up.

Dropped it again. Fell on its right side, left side facing up. Unreachable.

And now that I think about it........I'm fairly sure every instance where I couldn't pick it up........it was in this position. Very curious.

Upon closer inspection with binoculars or a scope, if you look at the top side of the gun resting on the ground, it seems to be clipping into the ground slightly. This is most obvious at the Galil's handguard. So it's indeed the same issue as niick said, but since the gun's firmly laid on its side against the ground, there's no hope to roll it over or nudge it likely without means that would damage it.

Edited by: Servalion

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.