I'm currently stuck at an annoying Problem and I would like to hear your ideas what to do:
I noticed that the default EVE shipyards are too small for most ship they are used to build.
The result are stupid looking clipping errors while launching ships from the yard.
Same Problem for Titanyards. -.-' no titan really fits the yard. Similar problem for Gallente Gates. They are closed objects 0o ... who would have a Gate closed on one side .. well ignore it.
Only the real big Stations have docks wich can really dock up to battleships and frighters and those are not really useful for active gameplay.
If you know HW2 collision box and avoidance you know what I mean. Having very big unmoveable objects in a playable area will mostly result in ships getting stuck or have serious problems with navigation.
Your ships will never get around it correctly.
The original idea was:
- Having the shipyards and Stations build your ships and they undock from them.
- keep original EVE size for all stations.
- Stations are side objects of sectors with docking exits pointing into a sector.
- Asteroids and other objects in sectors to have some cool eyecandy and something to harvest
- Megastations as passive objects connected to some sectors wich provide benefits to the owning player. (Like better Buildspeed, Technology, Income, whatever.)
Options to make it playable without clipping (I hate if it looks not right) now:
- make Shipyards about twice the size or even bigger so everything fits in them and risk movement problems and maybe have it look too big.
- limit defalut shipyards to Battlecruiser size
- cancel the idea of in sector shipyards and use an object to warp all ships in. Shipyars become an Object with effect to owning player.
- cancel shipyards completly and only go for warp in from markers / towers
- Go for Carriers / Commandships - so they can warp in / build all (HW2 mothership style / Orca)
- Now you, any other ideas? Whats your favorite? What do you think will work or simply work better ?
As this keeps me pretty much stuck at the moment and is a damn motivation killer, I like to get around it.
My favorite is the idea of a single controltower / marker per sector with stations like refinerys and assembly arrays in the sector to influence buildspeed, tech, available ships and so on.
I'm looking forward to see your thoughts about it.