Edain Mod 4.5 The Prince of Rohan
Greetings, companions of Edain,
Today we want to present some changes we made to one of Rohan's heroes:
Théodred is a hero who has undergone many changes in the history of Edain, as a matter of fact his concept has been reworked in every major version.
Théodred has a hard time finding a place in Rohan, as almost all roles are filled by other heroes. That is why Théodred was conceived as a hero used in defensive play styles and for building support, just the same way he defended the ford of Isen during the War of the Ring. However, this restricted his utility too much and so he gained the ability to summon a unique building, which made him a hero with a high defensive potential, but he also had Rohan's typical mobility. In addition, the tower made it possible to better integrate the troops of Westfold into the Rohan faction.
The tower Théodred created was unique concept for Rohan, but it was never put to a defensive use, as it was usually more worthwhile to summon it near the battle rather than near your own buildings. This was not only bad for Rohan's play style, but was extremely frustrating for the opponent. With the introduction of the Captains of Rohan, the tower also lost its unique relation with the Westfold.
Basically, we are very satisfied with Théodred in term of his uniqueness, but we are not happy with the way he is integrated into Rohan, and desire to better define his role in the faction.
Looking at Théodred currently, his design and integration can seem offensive in comparison to Tolkien’s character. After all, Théodred and Eomer were the greatest obstacles in the conquest of Rohan by their action with which they opposed Saruman actively. Theodred did not wait for the arrival of Saruman's army at the ford of Isen, but instead marched out to strike the enemy before they were ready for battle. Not only did he defeat the vanguard of the enemy’s army, but he also razed the fortifications that had been built before he was forced to retreat.
Théodred's concept will continue to be centered on his tower and most of his abilities will remain fundamentally similar. However, Théodred will assume the role of Rohan’s siege hero in the future.
- Axe Stance Théodred arms himself with an axe, in addition to his sword, which raises his attack damage against buildings by 50%. In return, Theodred loses 20% of his armor. Enemies in sight are automatically attacked.
- Sword Stance Théodred uses his dexterity and endurance to fight. He solely relies on his sword. Enemies in a medium range are attacked automatically.
- Shield Stance Théodred arms himself with a shield, which protects him against arrows fired from buildings. In return, he loses 20% of his damage. Enemies are not automatically attacked.
Théodred, like in the previous versions of the mod, has 3 unique stances, with different effects that reinforce him in his role as a siege hero. With the axe, he deals more damage to buildings, but is also protected by his shield against arrows fired from buildings when he has to retreat.
- Level 1 - Attack Post Theodred orders an Attack Post to be built to fight off Rohan's enemies. The Attack Post sends attack teams, who attack enemy buildings.
Théodred's old defensive post has now become a point of attack. It sends out an attack team of five warriors of the Westfold, who can be sent to attack enemy buildings. The attack team causes greatly reduced damage to everything apart from buildings and is controlled by the attack commands of the tower. It also has a limited range, so buildings cannot be attacked from the other side of the map. If a member of the attack team dies, it is replaced by the Attack Post, so it is important for Théodred to protect his Attack Point as they provide an endless supply of light siege units.
The attack point offers Rohan the opportunity to exert pressure on enemy buildings early in the game, but due to their low unit damage it is not impossible for the enemy to deal with it.
- Level 4 - Siege Garrison Mans an Attack Post with a siege team. The Attack Post can now train Hay Wagons and Pitch Throwers.
Through the siege garrison, Rohan is given the opportunity to build two of its siege units at the attack point, which can increase the pressure on the enemy and also allow for unexpected attacks by the Rohan player.
- Level 6 - Repair Work Théodred orders the repair of all siege engines near a Guard Post. All siege engines near the Guard Post will be permanently repaired and have double armor.
If an attack point is upgraded with repair work, it offers Rohan the possibility to attack the enemy even more effectively. Catapults are better protected against enemy attacks and are repaired.
- Level 10 - Defense of the Riddermark Théodred mobilizes all forces to throw back the enemy. For 30 seconds he and nearby siege engines gain +50% damage, +20% movement speed and cannot be knocked down.
One of Rohan's strengths is its speed. That is why Théodred allows sieges, with his level 10 ability, to reach the enemy faster.
We are very pleased with the new concept of Théodred as it reflects his aggressive and yet stationary character very well, making him a useful and unique siege hero for Rohan.
We hope you enjoyed the update on Théodred and look forward to your feedback.
Your Edain Team