What's New in v1.2
Shotgun Spread Control: You can easily adjust the Shotgun spread using the menus (see the images below). Works in singleplayer (no restrictions) and in multiplayer (controlled by the server).
Bug Fixes: The detected bugs from the previous version have been fixed. See the included list of changes for the details.
Instructions for the Steam Overlay: Using the Steam overlay with CstDoom3 is possible. If you're interested, see Appendix E of the included manual.
About The Shotgun Spread
Put simply, the shotgun spread refers to how far apart the pellets are scattered when you shoot. This is illustrated in the image below. The left side corresponds to a spread of 22 (the default in singleplayer) and the right side to a spread of 11 (the default in multiplayer). In both cases, the holes in the wall were produced by firing the Shotgun 7 times in the same direction. To facilitate the comparison, a red circle enclosing all holes has been added to each side (these circles don't appear in-game).
As you can imagine, a nice way to make the shotgun more effective is to reduce its spread. The new Shotgun Spread options (SP and MP) allow you to do precisely that. In singleplayer, you are free to experiment and choose any value you want (a suggested value is 11). In multiplayer, the shotgun spread is controlled by the server.
Here is a brief list of what is available:
- Show access codes (locker codes, etc.) on the HUD
- Grabber and Double Barrel Shotgun in Doom 3
- Chainsaw in RoE
- Shotgun spread control (new in v1.2)
- Additional key layers for the game controls
- Demigod mode
- "Always Run" / "Toggle Run" in singleplayer; Stamina drop can be disabled
- Run, Crouch, Zoom indicators on HUD
- Smoke control
- Damage feedback control
- Other stuff
For a better overview, see the description in the top of the CstDoom3 profile. Notice that all features are optional (opt-in).
Recall that the multiplayer menus have also been updated, so you can configure the settings of CstDoom3 from there too. The images below give an idea of what these menus look like.
- CstDoom3 is for the original releases of Doom 3 and RoE. It works both with the retail discs (patched to version 1.3.1) and with Steam (no patches required). It does not work, however, with the BFG edition.
- Only Windows binaries are provided. These should work with Windows 7 SP1 or later versions (8, 8.1, 10).
- The complete source code is included.
See the included manual for installation instructions.