Wow! What a weekend. It has been incredible to see so many people playing and enjoying Cosmonaut. Thank you to everyone for your kind comments and also your criticism! I would certainly not be able to develop and get better as a level designer if I was not told about the flaws and mistakes that were made.
A lot of the comments I have been getting have been something to the tune of “It’s good, but nothing special” and I wholeheartedly agree with that. I sadly cannot fix that for Cosmonaut as I do not plan on working on it again but I will take everything into consideration when I next make a mod! I am very tired of working on it for now but only because I want to move on and make even more exciting mods. I have however spent the time since release fixing bugs and major issues with the first version. Today, I am rolling out version 1.0.1 which includes a lot of adjustments and changes that make the mod less annoying. You can download the new version here.
Over the past few days, I have had the assistance of Peredice, the project leader over at “Lost Industry 2” who has helped make minor changes and huge optimization adjustments. He helped take a lot of stress off by stepping in and working on the maps for a bit and I am truly thankful that he did. You can view the Lost Industry 2 page here and see all of the amazing things him and his team are doing.
I have made up a change log to document everything that was fixed or updated. I have also put the names of those who either brought the issue to my attention or helped assisting me in updating it. I want to say a huge thank you to those individuals who sent me image logs or video demos so I could quickly and easily fix the issues. This update happened because of you!
- Heavily optimized the starting area to make frame rates better. (Thanks Peredice)
- Set the starting health value to 35 instead of 34. (Thanks HoodlumScraggy 1)
- Fix an issue when the cops following you would block the door making it never unlock. (Thanks Vizzys)
- Completely overhauled the escape sequence. The player has no risk of being shot while trying to solve the pipe puzzle.
- Removed the torture sounds as there was too much confusion surrounding it.
- Made the wall in the pipe/barrel room thicker and adjusted the lighting origin. (Thanks Eyaura)
- Made the wall in the in vent room thicker. (Thanks Stanley_ros)
- Fixed an instance where metro cops could be seen disappearing from a torture room. (Thanks Lucia)
- Fixed door in that opened too far and clipped the wall.
- Clipped the door in garage that the 2 cops run into as the player could get stuck in there.
- Removed the Easter egg where the player could break the window in the garage.
- Made the elevator drop down water deeper. (Thanks HoodlumScraggy 1)
- Tweaked generator puzzle to give the player more options. (Thanks Peredice)
- Added an info_lighting to the screens cabinet in the initial rocket screen room. (Thanks Eyaura)
- Removed some props in the first outside section to make movement easier.
- Removed 6th metro cop from the canals section as it was in a silly place!
- The cops in the underground section, behind the blocked up door now walk away once the manhacks have entered the room.
- Removed pallet that obstructed the player’s movement.
- Made the water in pipe puzzle slightly higher and the floor lower to make deeper water.
- Removed creepy invisible dead citizens in super secret vent. (Thanks Lucia)
- Added a few more ammo pickups. (Thanks Vrabo)
- Added a sound cue to the wooden plank in warehouse as a hint it can be broken. Too many players were backtracking to find barrels to stack.
- Changed the wooden pipe planks to metal in warehouse to avoid confusion.
- Removed the citizens from one train carriage.
- Blocked up stupid looking area making it inaccessible to the player. (Unless they pile up props to get over it.)
- Raised the damage on the electrified water puzzle at the end of the map. (Thanks IMakeLevels)
- Moved the plug socket above the door to keep environmental continuity. (Thanks Lucia)
- Removed button pressed sound from a pointless decoration button. (Thanks Lucia)
- Removed glitchy melon.
- Made the doors to the health charger and HEV charger room closable.
- Ensured the 2 soldiers having a conversation acknowledge the player when the player moves toward them. (Thanks Strontvlieg)
- Enabled the motion on the dumpsters in the street section.
- Added a railing to the mine elevator. (Thanks Eyaura)
- Shifted ladder at the start to the middle to accommodate the new railings.
- Made the bar at the first door wooden so it can be punted and broken (Thanks Klems)
- Remove a few lockers that had nothing in them.
- Removed boiler room at bottom of staircase.
- Widened doors during elevator/antlion finale so the antlions can attack the player in the sheds. (Thanks Peredice)
- Removed some scenery to improve frame rates and heavily optimized the map. (Thanks Peredice)
- Removed wooden crosses from the generator puzzle.
- Made it possible to do the generator puzzle in reverse as I am too lazy to rework it! (Thanks CW3D)
- Fixed buttons on initial elevator having an effect on the assets even when the elevator is moving. (Thanks Lucia)
- Fixed various texture bugs.
- Removed fast zombie from the western warehouse.
- Clipped the infamous “difficult ladder”. (Thanks to everyone who pointed it out)
- Remove "Oliver the Gnome" from conveyor belt. (Thanks Lurker)
- Removed fire from final warehouse as it was not necessary and did not make sense as the character that lit it, got cut a while ago.
- Added blocking damage on the warehouse elevator (Thanks JanKaszanka)
- Remove barnacles for the underground so the mod will no longer crash if the zombie is picked up.
- Fixed various texture bugs.
- Added wall to the end of the sniper bridge so as not to mislead the player.
- Fixed electric puzzle in the final arena where the plug would teleport out of sight of the play in certain areas.
- Added a gate to the bottom of the launch structure so the player does not run up there prematurely. (Thanks Lucia)
- Changed some doors that did not open to decoration doors to form consistency. (Thanks Melc311)
- Adjusted the amount of pick-ups in each level to make hard mode harder that is was.
- Tried to give a few hints around the locations of Gnomes.
Once again, if anyone finds all the Gnomes, please post an image of the achievement on twitter so I can see. I have seen a lot of 13 out of 14s but not a full set.
So that is all for the moment. After a busy weekend, I will be resting for the next few days. If you find any major bugs, I will try and fix them as soon as possible but I cannot promise a time.
Until next time....