I'm a programmer, musician, and a gym rat. I love making content, making others laugh, and sharing amazing gaming experiences. Favorite games currently:
- Planetside 2
- Brutal Doom
- Far Cry 3
- Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
- Unreal Tournament
Take this **** down right now. It's a closed test version for a reason and contains unfinished content that is not representative of the final mod.
Great work, can see a lot of effort went into this, which definitely stands out among other addons here! (Not bashing others work indirectly, but this addon is worth a look at for sure)
Thanks, and with PB 2.03 feel free to mod and edit whatever you want. I just want all the new content for 3.0 to be finalized and ready before the public gets to experience it all in its glory :P
No hard feelings man, I know everyone's excited to play new things. Plus I know y'all are getting impatient with me on Project Brutality 3.0 lol, but it's getting close and it'll be entirely worth it
You're redistributing my test version of project brutality 3.0 in this, not cool man. Look, put a link to the Discord page for PB in the description if you want people to try your add-on out with the recent development build of PB, but please don't include it in the file, because that version is already outdated. Thank you.
Lol yeah the last few months have been all talk from me, so the test version is out to prove that these all aren't just rumors
Here is the link for the Discord page, the download link is provided at the top of the public chat tab (it will be pinned soon)
Alright everybody, good news. I think we're ready for testing. I'm going to prepare the test version tonight and make sure everything is stable to run with minimal errors. A couple of notes on the test version:
1. Testing, bug reporting, and discussion will be done on a separate website on Discord. This will allow people to have a much more structured test and ease of reporting bugs, glitches, and requests.
2. This version is a serious WORK IN PROGRESS. There are still features that are partially or not yet implemented, and over the course of testing I'll be uploading several versions until we reach a release candidate
3. When will we have a release candidate? When we are all in agreement that any major or relevant issues have been resolved and all essential features have been implemented. The entire month of January should be dedicated to testing, bug reports, and any reasonable feature request.
Still waiting on some additional spritework from other contributors in order to start a proper test version, I told them to take their time to make sure their work is up to quality with the rest of PB.
The railgun, rocket launcher, HMG, and various other weapons will have complete sprite reworks. You'll be able to pin demons to walls with a nailgun fire mode for the HMG. Also I've decided to replace the single load grenade launcher with a new weapon: The Excavator. This weapon has two firemodes: Drill Bomb and Drop Charge. Primary fire shoots up to 5 projectiles that will either drill underground or hover above and secondary fire detonates the payload (depending on the firemode, where the projectile bursts out of the ground and stops mid-air and pile-drives into the ground with great force before exploding) In the hands of creative and skilled users, this gun can destroy a horde of demons very quickly.
The single load heavy grenade launcher was removed because I'm just going to buff the Super Grenade Launcher's impact grenade radius and damage. Also, there is now an underbarrel grenade launcher upgrade for the DMR. Once acquired, when the user presses their grenade hotkey you'll fire a LVG (bouncy) grenade instead of throwing one by hand. I just finished the sprite set for it today and will code it later.
Apologies for the set back on an official test version, but I'd rather have sprite work that is not rushed and fully complete.
Kind of... The new HMG will feature a nailgun mode that pins demons and their body parts to walls.
The next version will feature double jumping like in the new doom, but only for the Project Brutality game mode, by double tapping the jump key rather than the directional keys mid-air
The previous and current versions of project brutality works as intended, dashing mid-air was a desired feature and it can be very useful in an intense fight.
We don't need two grenade launchers, we need the rocket launcher, the super grenade launcher, and something... new.
Give me a day and I'll have a working prototype of the replacement, it's going to be a unique and original weapon playstyle.
Look up the Digger and Dropshot from Gears of War 3 and 4 for clues of what I'm thinking about :D
I think I've finally figured out what I'll do with the grenade launcher.
Let me guess, you're using the Valiant patch and not playing Valient, aren't you?
1. Maybe, although I usually keep my ammo count in check to be prepared for the next weapon I'm switching to
2. I think I can make the meatshields "usuable" and you can additionally just press "use" on them
3. Can easily do that, no problem
4. If I do, I would like to have animations of it, else I would just keep it how it is
5. He's already got one, but I've been thinking of giving him a new one in addition to what he already has
6. Oh you have no idea what I've done with the new baron... He's got a badass special attack.
1. After 3.0, I want it to be done for good (with the exception of hotfix patches if necessary, and maybe I'll release compatibility patches post launch)
2. Probably not
3. Compilation? Are you talking about my first add-on? Basically this is the spiritual successor of it
Nope, no more weapons will be added. Only resprites, revamps, and upgrades.
You have to keep this in mind though: some maps require to use the arch-vile jump, so every variant of the monster must have at least one form of that attack.
Take somebody like me, who likes to play traditional mode without jumping and crouching enabled, so you have to use archviles to jump vertically (Plutonia, TNT, and many other wads rely on this feature)
Yeah so I'm thinking about swapping the double damage with quad damage, and give it a purple color scheme. And I'm going to replace the rage sphere with haste so you move faster instead, because that powerup has way too many inconsistencies with weapons.
I haven't removed the Flesh Wizard yet, if people are insisting on it staying I'll have it in, after all, that's why we have custom spawn options for a reason. But either way, you guys are going to like what this new variant has in store for you :D
Thanks for the feedback guys, I think I'll end up keeping it and leaving the option to toggle it on and off up to you guys. Also, I finally fixed the probably with items/monsters spawning even though you've toggled them off, there were some typos and a few things a meant to add in the SpawnerScript.txt file (it's over 4000 lines give me a break lol)
Also I'm adding a new archvile variant, and honestly I think I'll have it replace the flesh wizard, as it has WAY better animations, sounds, and I have ideas on how to make it a unique opponent. Not to mention, I have more death animations for it anyway, so I think it will be a welcome change. The flesh wiz is creepy and all, but I feel like he's a little out of place.
I've added sounds to a lot of missing components (Phantasms dying, BFG alt fire blasts, Masterminds, etc.) and I'm continuing to do so
Fixed the bugged AI with the Demolisher Spider Mastermind, as well as changed his BFG fire to shoot a burst of the alt-fire mode balls, which is a lot more balanced
Added heavier "thud" sounds to big monsters falling over when they die
Fixed blood not getting splattered on trees/barrels
Reanimated the BP pistol, you now have a two hand grip on it
Changed the color tube of the BFG MKIV 9000 to full green for the primary classic mode
Resprited the SuperGL, HMG, and Pistol pickup sprites
I've checked out the PB Overhaul, it has some really nice additions I'm considering of adding, such as the underbarrel grenade launcher for the DMR, and possibly the smart scavenger option to be incorporated into the base mod
Still going about testing, fixing, and adding. Will have testing ready after next week!
If there's a fully brutalized sprite set, I'll accept it.
So a couple things:
- The HMG is getting fully redone. Sprites are smaller, cleaner, and much better looking with consistency to the other weapons. It'll look, behave, and sound much better. More importantly, I'm changing how it functions entirely; the weapon special will convert it into a high velocity Nail Gun instead. Additionally, nails can penetrate up to two enemies or a wall and one enemy (just like full metal jacket rounds), except now they will be able pin smaller enemies or the body parts of larger enemies to walls with unique death sprites! I'm considering of changing the whole belt-fed/ammo box gimmick too and will come up with something more interesting in the coming days
- The quad shotgun is finally done and functional, just how the LMG upgrades the carbine, this gun upgrades the SSG and is highly versatile; weapon special switches between full blast and half blast modes. In full blast the primary fire will fire all barrels that are loaded, secondary up to two barrels at a time. For half-blast, primary will just fire up to two barrels while secondary fire will fire single barrels.
- I'm considering about removing the HE Grenade launcher all together and just buffing the Super Grenade Launcher's impact and sticky bombs instead. Your thoughts on this change would be appreciated.
- Pulse cannon is still being coded, working on some sounds for it, as well as drawing up sprites for stunned enemies
- I have Gore Nest sprites and have an interesting concept I want to try. So they way they will operate is that they have a small chance of appearing where corpses would appear in the level. If a player chooses to interact with it, and animation will play and destroy the nest. Following that, it will spawn extra demons that spawn around the player's area. I'm going to try and tweak the demon spawning so it will only be the types that spawn throughout that current level (so you won't get like a Baron of Hell on the first level). Killing all the demons will spawn a unique power-up at where you killed the Gore Nest that can permanently increase your based health/armor capacities, which will definitely come in handy for later levels. Of course, they can be toggled on/off in the menu options as well.
- I've updated the credits file big time, I know that there has been some controversy circling around that some spritework as not been properly accredited regarding the BFG and Blackhole generator. Rest assured that now authors should see there respective names, and if not, they should immediately contact me so we can sort things out.
Next two weeks I'm going to be very busy for me as I'll be traveling and working on other projects. After that, I'll have test versions prepared and ready for people to play.
Hmm... A good idea, I'll think about it.
I'm ambivalent on what to do with the single grenade launcher, either I'll resprite it or remove it all together and just give a couple buffs to the Super Grenade launcher since it's the superior weapon, as well as reduce the logistical issues with having HE, Special, and Rocket ammo types.
Alright, I'll accept it into the mod if you provide a full sprite set. It can be an upgrade to the mancubus/daedabus cannon, though it'll be really awesome if we could have different colors for fire modes (orange, green, red), as well as some small brightmap animations.
Thanks! I'll go ahead and fix that. I've been to Hawaii a couple times, absolutely love it.
I appreciate it man, your vids always make for a good laugh! :D
I'm still working on it everybody, I'm not closing the doors on PB yet. I've been incredibly busy with real life these past couple months, had some personal issues and obstacles to overcome recently.
Not to mention a ton of senior-level university courses, work, and company interviews... Including looking for a position at id Software as a gameplay programmer/designer :D
I think it's only fitting that Project Brutality's next version will be named "3.0" instead of "2.1", as I plan on having new cover artwork, a custom theme song, as well as working on an official trailer myself.
Over my hiatus I've taken some time to formulate a significant number of new concepts to add. Pulled some neat ideas from the new Doom with some twists.
Some sprite work I'm still waiting on from other developers (the new HMG sprites, Desert Eagles) In the meantime I'll work on other things.
I get that a lot of your are frustrated/disappointed, I understand and it was my fault for thinking I could complete it all sooner. Rest assured that I'll have it done by the end of the year, since that's when I released the last version.
I think I'm overdue to hand out some test versions, I'll probably prepare one for everybody by the end of the month. It'll have the new baron and imp variants, as well as the pulse rifle and quad shotgun among the other changes I've been working on.
Thank you all for your support and patience, it's been awhile but I'm glad to see everybody is still actively supporting Project Brutality after 82,000 downloads!
Yeah I touched up the BFG, it'll destroy hordes of demons, but I increased the resistances bosses have against it. That way you won't just one-hit-kill a mastermind and be on your way.