Rise of Legends is a real-time strategy game and the spiritual successor to Rise of Nations, based in a fantasy world, where technology and magic coexist.
This is the download for the Rise of Legends - official demo version 1 (first pre-release demo)
Rise of Legends - official demo version 1 (first pre-release demo) - info
This file contains some notes about the Rise of Legends official demo version 1.
In this demo you can play as the Vinci and Alin nations on 2 skirmish maps: Frozen Standoff and Summer's Heat.
You can also play as the Alin in 2 missions of the Alin campaign: Azar Harif (Defense of Azar Harif) and Southern Dunes (Hundreds By Night).
It is worth noting that this demo version 1 was released unfinished and has various bugs and problems and thus is not recommended over the 2nd demo or full version of the game.
It's better to download the Rise of Legends demo version 2 - (second updated demo) as it plays much better or buy the full game.
This demo is made available for historical and completion reasons as well as for technical reasons for programmers and anyone else who wants to compare the 2 demos to the full game.
The total size is about 620mb.
There is also a short text file explanation of what you are reading here.
After downloading the rar file, unzip it and open the program to install the game.
If you like the demo and want to buy the game, there are a few versions:
Rise of Legends (2006) - 4xCD, printed Instruction Manual and Quick Reference civilization info card, will need to be manually patched (Usa version)
Rise of Legends (2010?) - DVD re-release in dvd style case, comes with patches, nothing additional (Usa version)
Rise of Legends (2010?) - DVD re-release in cd style case, comes with patches, nothing additional (Usa version)
These are the Usa English versions above only, there are many other language/country versions also (Italy, France, etc)
Here's the official text note that came with the demo upon its release:
Welcome to the Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends Pre-Release Demo.
This version of Microsoft Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends is a pre-release demo that has not reached the final stages of development and does not represent the finished product. You might encounter instability or features that are not yet implemented or do not function as intended. There may be references to development tools that do not exist or are not enabled. You will also encounter longer than average load times. Please be sure to read the Known Issues section of this document for information on what problems you might encounter.
Please note that this Pre-Release demo has longer than average load times and
lower than normal performance (FPS). These issues will improve greatly in the
The Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends Pre-Release demo requires:
• Microsoft Windows® XP w/ Service Pack 2
• 1.4 GHz processor
• 512 GB RAM
• 64 MB (DX9/Shader compliant) video card
• Run Setup.exe and follow the instructions that appear on the screen.
Where Do I Start?
After you have installed and launched Rise of Legends, you should start off
with a simple 1 vs. 1 Quick Battle against the AI (Computer Player). This will
allow you time to get familiar with the game and its elements.
To launch a Quick Battle game
1) From the Main Menu, select Quick Battle.
2) Select the options you prefer.
3) Click Start Game.
Note: You can also select another map by choosing Change Map on the game Setup screen. This will provide you with a list of playable maps.
What Should I Play Now?
Now that you have become familiar with Rise of Legends and its core gameplay,
it’s time to take a shot at the Rise of Legends story-driven campaign experience.
To launch the limited demo Campaign
1) From the Main Menu, click the Campaigns button.
2) Click the Alin Campaign that has the word Corruption under it.
3) Click the Begin New Campaign button.
The following is a list of known bugs and crashes in Rise of Legends. Please
read this list carefully as this will indicate to you what areas of the game to
• Load times are longer than expected. This will be greatly improved for the
• Performance (frames per second) work is ongoing and will be greatly improved
for the final product.
• The "Heavy Iron" demo map is a Vinci vs. Vinci scripted map; any settings the
player chooses on the game Setup lobby are replaced by the scripted options when
the game launches.
• On the “Heavy Iron” demo map, changing your player color on the game Setup
screen will cause you to start without units or buildings. If you encounter
this issue, please restart the game.
• In some instances, the Continue to Strategic Map button will cease to
function after completing a campaign scenario. If you encounter this issue,
press ALT+F4 to exit the game.
Hardware Configuration Issues
Video Card Issues
• Graphics might be missing or corrupted using the Intel 82865G Graphics
• Decals and selection circles of units might appear corrupt on certain video
cards, such as the ATI Radeon 7000 or the nVidia GeForce 4 MX.
Sound Card Issues
• Systems with Creative SoundBlaster Audigy series cards might experience a
crash. Updating your drivers might resolve this.
• Some Creative soundcards use a feature called CMSS 2. This feature is on by
default, and might cause the sound in game to perform at a lower quality. This
can be disabled in the Creative Console software.
• You might experience a reduction in audio quality if you run Rise of Legends
with hardware acceleration disabled.
• The use of ALT+TAB or CTRL+ALT+DEL while in Rise of Legends might cause a
crash or graphical corruption.
• The Azar Harif scenario might cause a crash in the demo campaign.
• Clicking Continue Campaign from the campaign window after completing the demo
scenarios in the campaign might cause a crash.
Make sure your computer is using the most recent drivers for hardware
• Video Card
• Sound Card
• Motherboard/Chipset Drivers
Make sure you are up to date with the latest Service Packs and operating-system
1 First uploaded on 11/18/2013
Feel free to comment on the demo where it has been uploaded. There is also some discussion on the problems the first demo had on various internet sites and forums if you do a search.
There is an active Rise of Legends downloads area and forum at Heavengames here which seems to be the last active Rise of Legends forum on the internet.
List of contents
- info text file
Legends will rise! :)