Forum Thread
Modern Warfare 2 NO MOD or DEDICATED SERVER SUPPORT! (Forums : PC Gaming : Modern Warfare 2 NO MOD or DEDICATED SERVER SUPPORT!) Locked
Thread Options 1 2 3 4
Oct 17 2009 Anchor

Ustream.tv

skip to 1:41.

Anyway this is a pretty big issue for those that pre-ordered the game, just thought I'd post it up there so you can reconsider if you still want to buy it or not. Many are considering it a game breaker in Australia- no Dedicated Server == No Multiplayer.

and of course the boycott...

Edited by: formerlyknownasMrCP

Henley
Henley the sun never sets on the eternally cool
Oct 18 2009 Anchor

For those who dont want to watch it what is it that your talking about.

--

Oct 18 2009 Anchor

Someone wrote: Call of Duty community manager Rob Bowling, also known as 'fourzerotwo', has confirmed in a podcast that the PC version of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 will not support user-created mods. Worse, it will not support dedicated servers. PC gamers will have to suffer peer-to-peer connections, just like their console-owning cousins.

Mr. Bowling could offer no defence for this move, and simply stated that: "The team's focusing on having it very equal on every platform" and "We're doing a lot of work on the back end."

Previous PC versions of CoD have supported dedicated servers. Their absence will apparently make the game "much more accessible to the PC community as a whole."

Source: Games.on.net

Oct 18 2009 Anchor

i think this is to combat pirates

Oct 18 2009 Anchor

Console ports are making developers lazy. ModTools never come to be a burden in the development process is almost as a nature process.

I really doubt that no dedicated server will combat illegal downloads at all. Will make it easier iff you ask me.

Edited by: vfn4i83

Spector
Spector WWIII
Oct 18 2009 Anchor

Ahehe, no dedicated server support wouldn't do jack against pirates. Like they would care, just rip the DVD to a iso file distribute, move onto the next game. Pirates are machines.

--

snetErz.com - Web Design
Some guy in the space time continuum.

Oct 18 2009 Anchor

OOOOHHHHH NNNNNNOOOOOOOEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oct 18 2009 Anchor

i'd say the fact it requires steam is more bigger deterrent.

dev's becoming lazy? Nobody complained they became lazy when they started using steam to release test games & patch it later!

--

Go play some Quake 2: q2server.fuzzylogicinc.com
It's like Source v0.9, only... better!
Play Paintball for Doom 3!: d3server.fuzzylogicinc.com
Doom 3 Paintball to the Max!

Oct 18 2009 Anchor

TheHappyFriar wrote: i'd say the fact it requires steam is more bigger deterrent.

dev's becoming lazy? Nobody complained they became lazy when they started using steam to release test games & patch it later!

we did, but Valve fanbois were louder and so no one listened. I originally thought that SteamWorks was going to be a great idea-- instead all it did was become another form of DRM.. They completely lied to us and its completely broken, doesn't even bloody work properly!.

Oct 18 2009 Anchor

SweatbackSTEEN wrote: i think this is to combat pirates

Yeah because not even the pirates will want to play it now!

MrMattWebb
MrMattWebb The forums are a karma-free zone.
Oct 18 2009 Anchor

thank you consoles. this is just like the bandwagon of continuously killing off pc lan capability. -_-

Oct 18 2009 Anchor

Someone wrote: As the “biggest entertainment launch of all time” approaches, you’re increasingly making your fanbase more angry. Your recent moves on the business side are head scratching and completely appalling. Tony Hawk peripherals to start, PC and UK price hikes and ridiculously overpriced collectors editions for MW2. Gamers were left scratching their heads wondering why?

Than your CEO decided to further anger your customers with this quote “And Tony, you know if it was left to me, I would raise the prices even further.” I believe we are in what we call a “recession.” What the consumer needs is not more expensive items, but less expensive, which we’re obviously not screaming for you to do. As people we speak with our wallets as we know you wont hear our words.

Everyone who signs this petition disagrees with your approach and your smug attitude. The undersigned agree not to purchase your game at full retail value. We instead will either choose to A.) not purchase MW2. B.)Purchase only in used form allowing no revenue for you. C.)Import from a cheaper country. This may not seem like much of a threat, but the internet is a large place and your wallets may seem a little lighter come Christmas time. Thank you.

this is the original Boycott Letter, the Boycott is now official. Looks like we're on strike again.

Oct 19 2009 Anchor

The news thiss bad,I cant believe its true.
The use of Chinese call is "beiju" .
damn -_-

Oct 19 2009 Anchor

This is the shit, why do they do this, I'm pretty sure its because of Consoles, they with theyr uber limited possibilities, this is totaly crap, Australians will get owned totaly, Im sry for My Aussie friends they wont even get to enjoy the game properly, like Iw is turning to Ea and Valve, if they will merge with Valve then it will the end of the Cod series, cuz it will turn out into like NFS series whic hgets more shittier than the last one every single year. There should be a boycott like L4D2 :/

Ark_
Ark_ Needs to finish something.
Oct 19 2009 Anchor

This just seems stupid.
Most of my friends are console gamers and because of that i have been playing cod 4 on live. But when I heard modern warfare 2 was coming out i was considering getting it for pc and xbox. PC so i could mod it, but now with this, it just seems like a pointless decision.

Arxae
Arxae Resident Stepmania Freak :D
Oct 19 2009 Anchor

hmmm looks like the news is at home here at moddb this time :D well half of it xP

--

°w°

Henley
Oct 19 2009 Anchor

Sigma wrote: hmmm looks like the news is at home here at moddb this time :D well half of it xP

I just wont play MP, I'll possibly have a go at that spec ops thing with aussie friends.

--

ambershee
ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks
Oct 19 2009 Anchor

What the epic fuck? Lack of dedicated server support is quite possibly the worst move they could have made; unless you're on a LAN, I'd say the vast majority of all online games of CoD 4 would have been hosted by a dedicated server. What's even more ironic, is a lot of console games are shifting TOWARDS dedicated servers, because peer-to-peer setups were proving to be too limited. Lack of mod support is lazy, but not wholly unexpected. Lack of dedicated server is ridiculous, and their 'reasoning' behind it is entirely unbelievable.

If it's going to be very equal on every platform, am I going to have to purchase a CoD:MW2 gamepad just to play the game? Am I going to have to suffer restricted graphical settings? Or are those also, stupid ideas?

DraeHD
DraeHD ModDB's Local ManWhore
Oct 19 2009 Anchor

ambershee wrote: What the epic fuck? Lack of dedicated server support is quite possibly the worst move they could have made; unless you're on a LAN, I'd say the vast majority of all online games of CoD 4 would have been hosted by a dedicated server. What's even more ironic, is a lot of console games are shifting TOWARDS dedicated servers, because peer-to-peer setups were proving to be too limited. Lack of mod support is lazy, but not wholly unexpected. Lack of dedicated server is ridiculous, and their 'reasoning' behind it is entirely unbelievable.

If it's going to be very equal on every platform, am I going to have to purchase a CoD:MW2 gamepad just to play the game? Am I going to have to suffer restricted graphical settings? Or are those also, stupid ideas?

I like how you summarized all of what i was about say and posted it for me :D thnx.lol.

Wraiyth
Wraiyth That Guy Who Does Those Things With The Stuff
Oct 20 2009 Anchor

Canceled my pre-order for this today as soon as I got back from uni. The IW forums are being hammered by complaints and stories of people who have gone into their local Gamestop/EB to cancel their pre-order, only to hear stories that stores have had dozens, or even hundreds, of people come in to cancel their pre-orders over this. 85 thousand signatures on the petition in 2 days...

Henley
Oct 20 2009 Anchor

Wraiyth wrote: Canceled my pre-order for this today as soon as I got back from uni. The IW forums are being hammered by complaints and stories of people who have gone into their local Gamestop/EB to cancel their pre-order, only to hear stories that stores have had dozens, or even hundreds, of people come in to cancel their pre-orders over this. 85 thousand signatures on the petition in 2 days...

I have yet to see if this is going to work well at all, if they wanted to focus of console development driving away their pc audience sure is a good way to do that.

--

Oct 20 2009 Anchor

Henley wrote:

Wraiyth wrote: Canceled my pre-order for this today as soon as I got back from uni. The IW forums are being hammered by complaints and stories of people who have gone into their local Gamestop/EB to cancel their pre-order, only to hear stories that stores have had dozens, or even hundreds, of people come in to cancel their pre-orders over this. 85 thousand signatures on the petition in 2 days...

I have yet to see if this is going to work well at all, if they wanted to focus of console development driving away their pc audience sure is a good way to do that.

Too late that's already happening anyway- there's nothing that can be done to stop it except sabotage them before its over. PC will turn into an Indie Niche platform and the consoles will be filled with AAA crap. Except they need PCs in order to develop the AAA crap.. so we still stay empowered to develop our own! :D I think this may end up being a good thing- at the expense of loosing a lot of our best developers and IPs.. but we can make newer and better ones that WE control. It'll be just like the old days of PC gaming, everyone was too busy with the consoles-- whilst the PC had games like Doom and Wolf3D.. the consoles wouldn't get these for another 3 years later- that was a great time to be in PC- why can't it be that again?

Wraiyth
Wraiyth That Guy Who Does Those Things With The Stuff
Oct 20 2009 Anchor

Henley wrote:

Its a lose-lose situation for the PC, that's the thing. They either drive away the PC market through people not buying the game, or by giving them the middle finger. Best I save my money and put it to good use elsewhere rather than line the pockets of people who clearly don't give a shit about the platform.

Henley
Oct 20 2009 Anchor

Wraiyth wrote:

Henley wrote:

Its a lose-lose situation for the PC, that's the thing. They either drive away the PC market through people not buying the game, or by giving them the middle finger. Best I save my money and put it to good use elsewhere rather than line the pockets of people who clearly don't give a shit about the platform.

EVERYONE BUY BORDERLANDS INSTEAD k

--

Oct 20 2009 Anchor

Henley wrote:

Wraiyth wrote:
Henley wrote:

EVERYONE BUY BORDERLANDS INSTEAD k

wait did they even confirm mod support for that game..?

I'd suggest save your money and wait until something like Mass Effect 2 comes out- assuming that is they haven't UN-RPGed it like I'm dreading they have (going by the interviews ect.)

Either that or you could buy some GOG.com games :D

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.