Forum Thread
Left 4 Dead Concept Art Contest WIPs (Forums : Contests & Jams : Left 4 Dead Concept Art Contest WIPs) Locked
Thread Options 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 32
Oct 31 2008 Anchor

LEFT 4 DEAD CONCEPT ART CONTEST

As part of the contest rules, you are required to post works-in-progress of your entries in this thread. Good luck to all who enter and don't forget to send in your final entries via email.

davidhalo
davidhalo 2d/3d Animator/Modeller
Oct 31 2008 Anchor

Great contest idea. I'm definitely in for this one! Start batching up some concepts this weekend

AlexCrafter
AlexCrafter Mapper
Oct 31 2008 Anchor

I'll be in this one because I need an excuse to start learning to do concept art.
Is it supported by valve?

Oct 31 2008 Anchor

I love the theme, great contest and good luck to everyone who enters, you have a chance to make some awesomely gruesome monsters ;) I can't wait to see what the final pieces are like!

--

Oct 31 2008 Anchor

Can we do any interactive mediums? Eg flash games/films? I'd love to enter, but my drawing skills are limited on there own.

Oct 31 2008 Anchor

Well, since it's a requirement to post here, I'll start by stating that I'm going to work on the smoker.
I plan on making an XSI scene, and exporting models and such to Source to take a picture, and making some touch-ups.
Starting...
NOW!

Oct 31 2008 Anchor

Hi all! This is my work in progress so far:

Plz tell me what you guys think. Do you guys think this contest is too high level for me or do you like it?

Edited by (in order): The_Voice, lodle

razorb
razorb Indie Dev
Oct 31 2008 Anchor

ya i think i might join this! :)

starf1sh
starf1sh Lead Artist Infuse Digital
Oct 31 2008 Anchor

yeah I'll definitely have a crack at this, looks like great fun. :)

Oct 31 2008 Anchor

The_Voice wrote: Hi all! This is my work in progress so far:

Fc23.deviantart.com" alt="User Posted Image" />

Plz tell me what you guys think. Do you guys think this contest is too high level for me or do you like it?

Looks pretty cool so far....dirty him and the environment up loads, get your light source in too. I like the way his lips are missing, really gross XD
I'd also work on the clothing texture....instead of just being flat, curve it in the direction it would flow according to his body, if that makes sense. The perspective of the building, sign and window ledge could do with some work on the right hand side too I think. I'd quite like to see his whole body in there if you think you have time to add that. Be cool to get a sense of how he holds himself..... I know this is a wip but i'm throwing in my thoughts as you asked :) Hope they help, gl.

--

Oct 31 2008 Anchor

Please submit an original piece, that one was post on your Deviantart profile a month ago. Look forward to seeing what all of you guys come up with!

Contest rules: Moddb.com

Occlusion wrote: Can we do any interactive mediums? Eg flash games/films? I'd love to enter, but my drawing skills are limited on there own.

Unfortunately we're looking for a single image for an entry, not a game or film. Would be a good idea for future contests though :D

Edited by: Metafiz

starf1sh
starf1sh Lead Artist Infuse Digital
Oct 31 2008 Anchor

Stenchy just one thing dude. Are we allowed to draw an entire scene? Or does it have to be a stand alone character concept similar to whats in the L4D media pack.

Oct 31 2008 Anchor

stenchy wrote: Please submit an original piece, that one was post on your Deviantart profile a month ago.

Thank you! He was going to be hard to beat ;-)

Oct 31 2008 Anchor

stenchy wrote:

Please submit an original piece, that one was post on your Deviantart profile a month ago. Look forward to seeing what all of you guys come up with!

Contest rules: Moddb.com

Occlusion wrote: Can we do any interactive mediums? Eg flash games/films? I'd love to enter, but my drawing skills are limited on there own.

Unfortunately we're looking for a single image for an entry, not a game or film. Would be a good idea for future contests though :D

Yes its on deviantart but this is just the concept. I wanted to make it especially suited for this contest. Anyways, I will make a drawing from scratch for this contest then.

Oct 31 2008 This post has been deleted.
Oct 31 2008 Anchor

Dont be mistaken to think that one isnt my drawing, I did made that one from scratch too though

Oct 31 2008 Anchor

I'm going to try joining this. :D

And question, can we take a photo, edit it in Photoshop and submit it?
I'm not actually very good in drawing. So, yeah.

Or how about we make a creature in Spore? :P

Edited by: ramonimbao

Nov 1 2008 Anchor

Definately joining this one, I might not stand a chance but there is allways a VERY LITTLE chance for me :P, besides, I'd do anything for a free copy of L4D for PC.

Nov 1 2008 Anchor

Progress: 0.1% done of the idea in my head.
Those two guys are placeholder for future models.
The tongue needs work too

Nov 1 2008 Anchor

starf1sh wrote: Stenchy just one thing dude. Are we allowed to draw an entire scene? Or does it have to be a stand alone character concept similar to whats in the L4D media pack.

You can draw an entire scene, but the idea is to design new characters that you think would fit into the game. So a character concept is all that is really needed. Again we're looking for new concepts other than what's already been presented in the official game. So stuff like the smoker WIP above this post isn't what we're looking for.

Tzaechireon
Tzaechireon Young old fart.
Nov 1 2008 Anchor

starf1sh wrote: Stenchy just one thing dude. Are we allowed to draw an entire scene? Or does it have to be a stand alone character concept similar to whats in the L4D media pack.

Yeah, I'd like to know if we can submit an epic battle scene to double up as both categories.

Also, progress. Since ModDB insists, feedback please.

Gemini WIP 1

Edited by: Tzaechireon

Nov 1 2008 Anchor

stenchy wrote: So stuff like the smoker WIP above this post isn't what we're looking for.

So I CAN make a new zombie? Awesome!

Shooter__Andy
Shooter__Andy ZombieEd. dev.
Nov 1 2008 Anchor

Crap, hope that the idea would be main point in it, becuase I'm not very good artist. Not artist at all, I think.

SinKing
SinKing bumps me thread
Nov 1 2008 Anchor

This is the "Skythe". Even though he's limping with his left, stiff leg, he's amazingly agile and deadly in close combat. He absorbs part of his prey, only the skulls don't dissolve entirely. If you see a Skythe eye-to-eye, it will most likely be the last thing you see, before your dismembered head hits the ground...

User Posted Image
I249.photobucket.com

Gonna change some things about it, especially about the eyes. I wanted to give him this maniac look by creating wide open eyes, held by clamps. The actual skythe is supposed to be grown from bone tissue and isn't at its right angle in the picture yet. I might also add some shadowish figures in the front and foreground, which symbolise prey and hunters of the Skythe.

Edited by: SinKing

Tzaechireon
Tzaechireon Young old fart.
Nov 1 2008 Anchor

As it is, the scythe looks more like a tentacle, like those zombie commandos in Doom 3.

--

The irony of claiming I have no signature here is that now I have one.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.