It's GZDoom-only. "Beautiful Doom" is a mod that enhances Doom, makes it detailed, adds a lot of effects, complex interaction and at the same time introduces virtually no gameplay changes. See further description for details or just start playing right away.
Hi, people. Here's Beautiful Doom 5.3.
"Beautiful Doom" is a mod that enhances Doom, makes it detailed, adds a lot of effects, complex interaction and at the same time introduces virtually no gameplay changes.
Yeah, I know. 5.3 has very few additions compared to 5.0, but they are nice and seem rather essential to me. It now consists of 4 modules 'weapons', 'monsters' and 'objects' (stuff) plus separate 'lights' module with dynamic lights for all the objects in all of the three main wads.
Modules are inside separate wads.
It's GZDoom-only. ZDoom-support is not intended and if it's there, that's purely accidental.
++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++
I was often uploading new mini-versions of 5.2. Now it's completed and it's 5.3.
It's not that much different from 5.0. Gibs look noticeably different and much more emphasized.
Also some of the incorrect weapon firespeed is fixed. Also made some things look a bit better and added a couple of effects
Of course I fixed the annoying green blood bug.
5.3 compared to 5.2.9 has only three changes: non-shootable objects like trees now have original behavior (bullets fly through, projectiles don't), plasmaballs have better looks and trails, a new titlepic.
Move files to a Skins folder in your zdoom directory. Just start the game like you normally do.
"I love the visual modifications this makes, but I already have a sound replacement set that I prefer. Since you've done this in a modular fashion, is it possible to get a version in which the sounds have not been replaced?"
Well, I highly doubt that I'm going to create a version without sounds, since sounds are naturally part of the mod, and I naturally don't want to take parts out. Besides, in order to reset all sounds back to original I'd have to go through all of the actors again and manually set them back, which is actually quite bothersome.
My simplest suggestion would be not to use all of the modules in the mod: e.g. if you don't use BDoom_monsters.wad, but use you sound replacement wad (gzdoom -file bdoom_weapons.wad bdoom_objects.wad soundreplacement.wad), all of the monster sounds will revert to original (but of course you'll lose the monster effects).
*** WHAT'S NEW IN 5.3 COMPARED TO 5.0 ***
ADDED: MUCH BETTER GIBS:
* better sounds,
* more graphics,
* thicker bloodtrails for flying gibs,
* added TORSO GIBS (in addition to limb gibs),
* added special gibs for bosses.
ADDED: SPECIAL DEATHS:
* black "smoky deaths" for monsters kileld with plasma weapons
(except the strongest demons);
* fire deaths for weak monsters killed by Imps' or Mancubi's fireballs
ADDED: better PLASMA effects:
* smaller plasmaballs,
* better trails for plasmaballs,
* lensflare effect for plasmaballs,
* cooler plasma explosions,
* huge green BFG ball fog
ADDED: BERSERK FIST EFFECTS:
* separate animation, sounds and SFX for Fist when used with Berserk
ADDED: 'Advanced deaths toggle' function to replace 'Advanced gibbing toggle' which turns on/off not only gibbing, but also fire and smoky deaths.
ADDED: new TITLEPIC
* incorrect attackspeeds for Fist,
* incorrect firespeed for SSG,
* disappearing SSG alt attack delay between shots
* missing Plasmaballs' dynamic lighting
* GREEN BLOOD appearing instead of red
* overpowered Spider Mastermind
* Cyderdemon's head falling in weird positions
* missing dynamic lights for red and green TORCHES
* brown splash for green mud/acid and green splash for brown mud
* missing improved non-solid versions of decorative dead bodies
* sprites of some decorative dead bodies
* bleeding dead bodies spawning blood drops at the same time
IMPROVED: each mod module now contains only the sounds and effects used within this module. Thus you can use BDoom_weapons.wad and BDoom_monsters wad in the following combinations:
1) Only BDoom_weapons.wad: your weapons have new sounds and special effects, monsters' weapons also have new sounds, but monsters do not show any special effects;
2) Only BDoom_monsters.wad: your weapons and monsters' weapons use standard sounds, monsters show special deaths, but do not spawn empty weapon casings;
3) BDoom_weapons.wad AND BDoom_monsters.wad: your AND monsters' weapons use new sounds and show special effects, monsters spawn empty weapon casings when shooting.
* smaller PLASMABALLS and better Plasmaball's trail
* BULLET PUFF effects -- added sparks, improved ricochet, smoke
* CHAINSAW PUFF
* PISTOL emits smoke only after you let go off the fire button
* sprite for Rocket explosion
* Empty casings and various debris as well as blood drops now disappear after a while, but only when you don't see them
* Blood drops, light halos and other SFX spawned by decorations are only shown when the player can see them (less RAM needed)
* decorative dead bodies spawn blood more rarely and randomly
* behaviour of several complex objects, like Heads On A Stick
* improved texture animation definitions
* explosive barrels don't spawn fragments when explode
* better FIREBALLS for all monsters
* different, less resource consuming (!) fire for LOST SOUL