UVLoD v1.40 - Uber Quests and World Event enabled for LoD v1.13d in Single/Multi Player -

Forum Thread
UVLoD 2.0 release ready - plagued by false positives (Games : Diablo II: Lord of Destruction : Mods : UVLoD : Forum : Feedback : UVLoD 2.0 release ready - plagued by false positives) Locked
Thread Options
Apr 15 2017 Anchor

Greetings,

UVLoD 2.0 is ready for release, but the release is delayed.

Background of issue: protection against ripoff coders.

When UVLoD 1.38 was released, a ripoff coder posted a comment with a link to their mod in the UVLoD comment section.
I looked at their code and it was using my exact assembly code at the same address. Complaints made to moddb banned the offender, but
I believe the same person created a new account on moddb a few weeks later, and used a packer to hide their ripoff.

To thwart that BS from happening again I'm using an advanced PE encryption which makes UVLoD.dll into total gibberish.
The problem that arises with doing that is.. so many false positive detections on virus total, of the UVLoD 2.0 dll.

Here you can see the problem I have:
as there is zero malicious code in it. Scanning the same file unencrypted gives no false positives.

false-positives

Edited by: devurandom96

Apr 15 2017 Anchor

Quite unfortunate, it wouldn't be internet without some troll trying to impersonate or take credit for the work others did...

Apr 15 2017 Anchor

This was the main reason, why there hasn't been any regular updates for a long time, because I wasn't going to release any new versions without protection.

Anyway I decided to release the new version.

There's going to be false positives and there's not a lot I can do about it. seems like the more I complain to AV's the higher the FP's go up. It's kind of messed up because the code itself has a new form of digital signature that is supposed to help against FP's on legit software. There's only a handful of products on the market that offer robust anti-reversing protection, but the strength of encryption they use seems to annoy AV companies a lot.

I guess if people are concerned they can run it in a sand box or virtual box.

EDIT:

Changed the protection encryption algorithm method for UVLoD.dll seems to help a lot.

Edited by: devurandom96

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.