Thanks for checking us out again here at The Peloponnesian Wars! This time, I'm showcasing a few of the buildings available to Sparta - the Agoge, Smithy, and Keep. Firstly, I'll elaborate on the Agoge, Sparta's unit-producing building.
A detailed render of the Agoge structure, which has gone through many stages of development to get where it is now!
Historically, the Agoge was the process of training Spartan-born men to become the most feared, battle-ready army in Greece. Besides war-craft, they were taught loyalty, social preparation, singing, quick-thinking (thus, how they were able to cultivate so many great one-liners!) and other skills that were deemed necessary in life. In TPW, the Agoge will be represented by this unit-producing structure. Like all of their buildings, it is large and will likely take up a lot of space in your area of control. The main four infantry units for Sparta - the Hopilitai, the Ekdromoi, the Peltastati, and the Lochagos - will all be recruited from here. Due to Sparta's state-funded military and large Helot population, the Hopilitai and Peltastati will be available from a Rank One Agoge. Ekdromoi will be available at Rank Two, and Lochagos at Rank Three.
Secondly, the Smithy. In TPW, the Smithy will fulfill several purposes - to slowly generate resources, provide discount to certain aspects, and most importantly, to upgrade units. There are two kinds of upgrades in TPW: offensive and defensive. Offensive upgrades are typically weapons-related, while defensive upgrades are armour-related. Here are lists of both:
- Xiphos. Available for Hopilitai. Switches the Hopilitai from using spears to swords.
- Sarouter. Available for Hopilitai and Ekdromoi. Increases damage output of spear-wielding units.
- Kopis. Available for Peltastati. Gives the Peltastati a sword to use in melee combat - not by toggling, but using it automatically when attacked.
- Amentum. Available for Peltastati. Overall stat boost to the javelins used by Peltastati.
- Linothorax. Available for Hopilitai. Armour upgrade.
- Skirmisher's Armour. Available for Peltastati. Armour upgrade.
- Officers. Available to all infantry. Upgrades the units to Rank Two.
And now we have the Keep. Unlike other real-time-strategy games and mods, tower structures in TPW will be few in number and more used to maintain control of the outskirts of one's territory rather than being a viable defense in themselves. However, they'll be a formidable enemy to take on due to high hit-points and good range of the units housed inside of them. There will be a handful of defenders inside of a Keep.
An ingame shot of a Spartan Keep maintaining watch on the borders of their control. And of course, no update would be complete without a teaser for a later one.
Thanks for reading! Feel free to leave any comments in the section below.