It's been a while since our last post here, but things have been progressing well on Xenonauts (basically why we've not had time to post too much up here). Today sees the release of Build V9.1, which has a bunch of new features, but it's actually the sixth build we've released since I last posted here - whoops!
You can read the full list of changes for V9.1 on our forums here, but below I've written a quick summary of everything that has changed since my last post in December so you can see at a glance what's been happening:
- Loading times have been reduced by about 80%
- Farm tileset added
- Night missions have been added to the game
- Sebillian aliens added to the game, so there are now two alien races to fight
- Significant visual updates to the in-game tiles (see screenshot gallery for an illustration)
- Crashed / Landed UFO tiles have been added for the ground combat maps, and the new Light Scout UFO added (see screenshot gallery for details).
- New tiles have been added for the Chinook dropship
- New Ground Combat UI has been added, complete with tooltips, quick-select / status buttons for each soldier in your squad, and quick-reload and quick-grenade throw buttons.
- Tileset-specific civilian types have been added
- Units now have shadows
- Starting research projects giving more information on the alien invasion have been added.
- Laser weapons and advanced armour can be researched and built by the player (although there's a bug with them in V9.1 that we'll fix this weekend)
- New UI screens added to launch interceptors and start air combat, both of which provide much more information than before
- Soldier training system added
- Alien bases added
There's also been a LOT of bugfixes - we now have a dedicated QA tester and the stability of the game has come on in leaps and bounds since the beginning of the year.
We've added a bunch of screenshots to the media gallery to show you how things are looking on the project, but keep watching this space. We've got a whole bunch more updates coming in the next month or two that are even more impressive!
As always, if you want more details on the game you can check out our site here or our forums here. If you like what you see, please consider pre-ordering the game. You get access to the latest build immediately and it's money that we can spend on development and making the game better - hopefully the screenshot gallery shows the sort of effect it can have!