A playable alpha of The SCND Genesis: Legacy. Features 2 characters and 3 stages. Following the events at Ibex Hill Academy, war is on the Horizon. A...
Following the events at Ibex Hill Academy, war is on the Horizon. A Sect is harvesting human souls to summon a devastating Celestia Weapon of unparalleled power and The Empire of The South is steadily advancing towards Ambias borders. The Saints have to act swiftly to save the kingdom and prevent full scale war.
The story is based on my webomic of the same name.
This is an unfinished version of the SCND Genesis: Legacy. Features and content may be removed, changed, or added without warning.
Artwork and Animations are NOT final, but used to demonstrate the core concept of the game only.
The SCND Genesis: Legacy is a hybrid of turn based RPGs and fighting games. Unlike fighting games which put emphasis on mastering button combinations for combos, this game puts emphasis on when and how to use your attacks. It is based on a web comic of the same name.
Gameplay is an evolution of the Jenesis Combat Engine (JCE). Each action is of a specific type and has its own cool down. Launcher attacks act as Combo Breakers that can be used strategically against your opponent as well as to extend your own combos.
Base damage is affected by a Clash System, as you and your opponent land hits simultaneously a multiplier increases making both of you more powerful. Finally a fury bar is shared by both characters and can be used to pull off a Rage Combo when fully charged.
• You can alter your characters strengths and weaknesses by switching Battle Classes (Paradigms) in real-time. These paradigms have a direct effect on your characters speed and the effectiveness of his/her actions.
• Battles are fast paced and strategic.
• Features an interactive story mode based on The SCND Genesis comic, driven by in-game cinematics.
• Features gameplay and story specific achievements
• Features unlockable characters and stages
• Supports Keyboard, Mice and the official XBox 360 controller for Windows
• Supports translation via XML files (Currently only English is supported)
• Will work on Windows, Mac, Linux and Steam OS
• Rendered by OpenGL3.2, built in Java 7
Games like Final Fantasy XIII, Street Fighter IV and Tekken 6. Basically a mashup of what I like about those games
Who is it targeted towards?
Anyone who likes it >_>.
What language is it written in?
What platform is it available on?
Java 8 is a platform on it's own. Hence any OS with that version of the Java Runtime Environment installed can run the game. Both 64 and 32 bit variants of Windows, Mac OSX and Linux are supported.
In case you missed it my current game is being written in OpenGL 3, which is basically the equivalent of DirectX 10. When I made this decision in 2011 part of me was worried that Id come to regret that decision. Why?
Even the most high budget mainstream games at the time were still shipping in with DirectX 9. A huge bunch of online OpenGL tutorials were based strictly on version 2.0 to boot. I was worried that I wouldn't have an audience, and that my fairly basic 2D game simply would not run on most peoples PCs.
Fast forward 2 years however, and I'm glad I made the investment, glad I ported my code to JOGL, glad I wrote those darn matrices all by myself. Both the PlayStation 4 and XBox One are launching later this year. Both of those systems have DirectX 11 level graphics hardware. Even the weaker Wii Us GPU is based on DirectX10.1 level hardware.
In the PC space most peoples machines are more than capable of supporting OpenGL 3.0. According to Unitys Web Player stats [link] as of 25th August 2013, DX10 accounts for 51.8% of users GPUs while DX11 accounts for 23.8%. Given that DX11 supersedes DX10, the actual amount of DX10/GL3 capable hardware is 75.6%, assuming their OS supports it.
The same is similar for the Unity Editor [link] as well, with DX11 accounting for 49.4% and DX10 for 41.7% for a total of 91% DX10/GL3 ready hardware. Steams hardware stats [link] arent far off either, with 26.47% DX10/GL3 and 62.21% are DX11/GL4, a total of 88.68% DX10 capable hardware. This will only increase as the rest of the 8th generation gaming consoles finally launch and time goes by.
Powered by OpenGL 3.2
So what am I saying? If you plan on, or are already developing a game, I highly recommend using DX10 or GL3 as your rendering API. Most systems already support it and you'll be able to take advantage of many optimizations as well as implement several graphical enhancements.
Furthermore, both APIs can be seamlessly upgraded to DX11/GL4 in a few years time, versus inevitably having to rewrite from scratch if you insist on sticking with GL2/DX9.
If you don't plan on making the jump, I'd love to know the reasons why. Please feel free to comment below. Cheers
Original source: Scndgen.com