I've made some changes in gameplay since the last progress update.
Last time I did a progress update I added tiered haunting as a feature. The update for the 1st of June is something a bit more minor. I've added Static Cam Nights. Static Cam Nights occur each time you sleep. Instead of the screen just fading to black and then waking up while sleeping, the player now spends the night watching a static security cam. There are multiple cams around the house, so it is random which one you will view. The dynamic haunting system is in effect, even if your character is asleep, so you'll get to witness strange things happening via security cams as your character sleeps.
I've also redone the flashlight (torch), changing it from an omnidirectional point light to a spot light, much like a real flashlight/camera torch. I also dimmed it so it wouldn't be too immersion-killing.
Changelog So Far:
- Removed jumping.
- Fixed most of the control issues.
- Replaced what was left of the UDK default HUD.
- Added in new menus.
- More story content (backstory).
- Modified most of the hauntings.
- Added Trophy UI popups.
- Made sleeping more interesting (you'll see what I mean).
- Fixed Hell On Earth trophy.
- Added a useless weather system (adds atmosphere, rain can be visible from the kitchen window sometimes).
- Improved the camera shader.
- Finished the attic.
- Added Tiered Haunting system.
- Added UI tips that give more direction (battery is running low, go sleep to recharge it, etc.).
- Finished the storage closet.
- Added strange apparitions.
- Added location names.
- Added dates to be displayed after every night of sleep.
- Added TV scare.
- Added end of the game cinematic.
- Added settings menu.
- Fixed various crashing issues.
- Removed slowness on the stairs.
- Tweaked volume of certain ear-splitting events.
- Revamped the sleeping system, added Static Cam Nights.
- Remade the flashlight (camera torch), changing it from an omnidirectional point light to a spot light. I also dimmed it for immersion factor.
- Added subtle hauntings that will take a keen eye to notice.
- Changed the acoustics of the house a bit.
My goal is to release the game by Halloween 2012 (October 31, 2012). If it gets finished before then, I'll have to release it earlier. When the game gets finished depends heavily on your feedback from playing the betas, so please comment on them! Thanks!
We've hit our Kickstarter goal of $800! Let's keep going! Our new goal is $1500! A pledge of at least $20 is considered pre-ordering the game! Spread the word!
HELP ME RAISE MONEY FOR PARANORMAL: Kickstarter.com
The Kickstarter project will help fund the game's development, production, PR, and publishing. I intend to release Paranormal on Steam and/or Desura, but I can't do it without your help! Thank you so much!