The Old God has left the world and the pretenders are awakening and coming out from hiding. You start the game by designing one of the pretender gods that will compete for true ascension to godhood. The type of god can range from a magically powerful arch mage to an ancient kraken or a mystic monolith that people pray to. Your pretender controls one of over sixty different nations and with the help of that nation he will spread his word and battle the other pretenders. Dominions 3 is a turn based strategy game. You can play single- or multiplayer (1 - 23 players) with simultaneous turns. There are more than 1500 different units, 600 spells and 300 magic items in the game. The game also features a medieval musical score by Erik Ask Uppmark and Anna Rynefors, both awarded the title of Musicians of the Realm by the Swedish Zornmärkeskommiten. Dominions 3 is a highly detailed game and a 300 page pdf manual is included in the download.

Forum Thread
Other Dominions 3 Communities (Games : Dominions 3: The Awakening : Forum : General Discussion : Other Dominions 3 Communities) Post Reply
Thread Options
Dec 12 2012 Anchor

The contents of this thread are not mine, though I have edited the original a little. Credit for this thread goes to Calahan. :)

For those interested, these are some of the places on the World Wide Web where other Dominions 3 communities can be found.

Please mention any others that you know about that are not currently on this list. (and if you are from any of these communities, please feel free to offer better descriptions of your community to do it justice, and replace the meager efforts that have been provided here)

Shrapnel Games - The first port of call for many new players, and former longtime holder of the title of official Dominions 3 forum. A lot of the players from Dom3mods can also be found there as well. New registrations seem to be blocked at the moment.
Shrapnel Games Dominions 3 forum

Dom3Mods - This community was formed after several prominent players were banned from the Shrapnel forum or left in the wake of other members who were banned. The membership includes well known and respected members of the community such as Sombre (who founded the forum), Calahan, Fantomen, Elmokki, Burnsaber and others.
Dom3Mods forum

The Gaming Den - They play almost exclusively vanilla games, and a few old Shrapnel faces have taken up residence here. Namely Frank Trollman, K, and Dr.Praetorious.
The Gaming Den

BrokenForum - Seems to be a relatively new community setup by Nate from the Qt3 community.
The Broken Forum

Quarter To Three - A fairly active community that usually have a few games on the go. Arguably the friendliest community there is.
Quarter to Three gaming forum The Qt3 forum has several Dominions 3 related thread, but only the main Dominions 3 thread is linked here.

Absolute Games (Russian) - This community is probably not active anymore (or at least not on this site). Some familiar Shrapnel faces used to play here, such as the long time veterans Ano, Dimaz, WingedDog, Kuritza, Karnoza (there are a LOT of Russian players who are seriously good at the game). The playing community seems to have migrated to the dedicated Dominions3 forum that is coming up next.
Absolute Games

Un-named Russian Community (Russian) - It seems the players from Absolute Games have moved here. Don't know anything about this forum apart from recognising a few names (past and present) from Shrapnel. (and they play CBM judging by the game list)
Dominions.ucoz.ru

Paradox Dominions Community - You will need to be a registered member to view the thread, and if I understand correctly, you also need to have a game registered as well (to view the thread). It appears they run at most 1-2 games at a time (Wetfeet/foot series of games on llamaserver), and Peter Ebbesen and Jarkko are the familiar Shrapnel faces that play there.
Dominions 3 on Paradox

Bay12 - Very smilar to Paradox. They run 1-2 games at a time (series of games with the Bay12 prefix on llamaserver). I don't know much about the community though and I don't see any gnarly old vets there that I recognise.
Bay12

Punta de Lanza (Spanish) - You need to be registered to view the thread. Another community I don't know much about, apart from recognising a few names from Shrapnel
Punta de Lanza

Something Awful - This is regarded as just about the most active community out there, and they experiment with a wide variety of different game formats. Some of the best LP's (Lets Play) about the game are to be found on this forum, and they also have they own series of mods (Awesome mods, Forbidden Friendship). Their Mega thread (linked) sometimes becomes available to members only for a period of time though, so if you want uninterrupted access to the Mega thread (and their other Dom3 threads and archives) then you need to register at Something Awful (costs a one-time fee of $9.95).
Dominions 3 Mega-thread on Something Awful

Rock Paper Shotgun - There appears to be at least one game currently active here. Don't know anything about this community though, and don't recognise any names.
Rock, Paper, Shotgun

RPGnet - Seems to be a very active gaming forum, and this is a link to their second Dominions game.
Dominions 3 on RPGnet

Grogheads - A fairly new Dominions 3 community on a forum dedicated to strategy wargaming. They have a few games going and seem to be a tight knit and pleasant bunch.
Grogheads Dom3 forum

Edited by (in order): Edirr, Calahan., Edirr

Dec 12 2012 Anchor

Dom3mods is missing from the list :P

--

Voice of ***** and her spicy crew!

Dec 12 2012 Anchor

Whoops, sorry about that. I copied Calahan's list from there, so obviously it wasn't included. *facepalm*

Dec 13 2012 Anchor

Edirr wrote: Dom3 Minions forum - Gandalf Parker's forum. The place to talk about the dom 3 minions game server, and improving single player play. This is not a multi player forum. It's currently empty, as it is a new forum.
Dom3Minions

Don't know whether one is supposed to bring this to your attention, but that link seems dead?

(LOL, I'm a new member here, so I had to remove the hyperlink in the quote above. :)

Dec 13 2012 Anchor

JonBrave wrote:

Edirr wrote: Dom3 Minions forum - Gandalf Parker's forum. The place to talk about the dom 3 minions game server, and improving single player play. This is not a multi player forum. It's currently empty, as it is a new forum.
Dom3Minions

Don't know whether one is supposed to bring this to your attention, but that link seems dead?

(LOL, I'm a new member here, so I had to remove the hyperlink in the quote above. :)

So, he has decided to delete that forum then. I'll remove it from the list.

Dec 15 2012 Anchor

You seem to have a typo in sombres name.

Dec 15 2012 Anchor

Fixed. Thanks Soyweiser

May 18 2013 Anchor

Added the Grogheads board to the list.

Jun 21 2013 Anchor

To fill in a bit on RockPaperShotgun (I'm Wolfenswan over there):

The majority of the community consists of readers of RockPaperShotgun.com (no shit!), and organizes all kinds of games and gaming groups, from Solium Inferum over BloodBowl and ARMA2 to various MMOs. Unfortunately there's no official Dominions 3 subforum yet but being mentioned in this thread might give some leverage ;)

At the time of writing there are (to my knowledge) two ongoing games, the one linked above that seems to be fading away and a beginner's game that's about to enter late-game. As a lynch pin to everyone's insanity we're currently gathering people for a 24 players (newbie) match on Faerun....

Anyway, the community's an all-around friendly bunch and we play mostly for the fun of it, preferring the meta-game, diplomacy and back-stabbing (at least I know I do) over pure competition. If you're a beginner looking for a bunch of other beginners to fail together miserably learn the game with or just looking for a game that's not overly competitive and emphasizes the diplomacy aspect you're welcome to join.

Edited by: Gallopp

Jun 26 2013 Anchor

Ugh, the legacy of Faerun continues. I hope your players come out of that game still wanting to play dom3.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.