The Old God has left the world and the pretenders are awakening and coming out from hiding. You start the game by designing one of the pretender gods that will compete for true ascension to godhood. The type of god can range from a magically powerful arch mage to an ancient kraken or a mystic monolith that people pray to. Your pretender controls one of over sixty different nations and with the help of that nation he will spread his word and battle the other pretenders. Dominions 3 is a turn based strategy game. You can play single- or multiplayer (1 - 23 players) with simultaneous turns. There are more than 1500 different units, 600 spells and 300 magic items in the game. The game also features a medieval musical score by Erik Ask Uppmark and Anna Rynefors, both awarded the title of Musicians of the Realm by the Swedish Zornmärkeskommiten. Dominions 3 is a highly detailed game and a 300 page pdf manual is included in the download.

Forum Thread
Dominions 4? (Games : Dominions 3: The Awakening : Forum : Off Topic : Dominions 4?) Locked
Thread Options
May 2 2013 Anchor

I test all the strategic fantasy games and I have to say Dominions 3 is the best.
Mods, maps, the battle engine, everything is perfect.
I think that, maintaining the core and the compatibility with the existing mods and maps, it could be possible to develop a new version mainly based on an interface redesign.
This project could be proposed on www.kickstarter.com to get the required funds and involve the existing community for support, both vocal and operative.

Maerlande
Maerlande Grumpy Old Fart
May 2 2013 Anchor

This idea has been proposed in many forms in the past on different forums. It can't really proceed without Illwinter either doing it or giving permission to fans. And we haven't seen any comment from Illwinter on the topic. As fans, we can't make a kickstarter and use the intellectual property of Dominions without Illwinter support.

--

I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay / I sleep all night and I work all day / I cut down trees / I skip and jump / I like to press wild flowers

My Videos / My Guides 

May 2 2013 Anchor

After Dominions 3 they moved on to working on Conquest of Elysium 3 (also a strategy fantasy game) so you might check that out.
That is where the patch/upgrade work seems to be focused for now.

On interface redesign, I would mention that these are Linux games that are ported to Windows, Mac, Raspberry Pi, (used to include Solaris also) etc.
That doesnt make the plan impossible but can answer some of the initial "why" questions.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.