Forum Thread
Whats the best engine for a top-down "reimagining" of fallout 3? (Forums : Ideas & Concepts : Whats the best engine for a top-down "reimagining" of fallout 3?) Locked
Thread Options
Jun 24 2014 Anchor

Sup IndieDB, I've been lurking the forums for a while but I've got a question that I don't think has been asked here yet. I'm trying to make a fallout 3 inspired game, or possibly a full reimagining, off and on in my free time since 2010. I just decided again to take another swing at it.

I decided, since I want it to be multiplatform, (PSP/PS Vita, Android, iOS, PC, etc.) it should have relatively simple graphics, so I thought a top down RPG would be fine, but real time combat with projectile weapons. I tried solarus, but it looked really bad, all choppy and bad homebrew looking, then I tried RPG maker, and it looked shitty, then game maker, same problem.

I've decided to wait until ive found an engine to use to make the sprites, but most of the ideas and whatnot I've thought up have a link to the past style game in mind, but with leveling, changing armor, and enemy looting. That's why I tried Solarus.

So, IndieDB, I ask of thee: What relatively easy to use engine, such as gamemaker, Solaris, rpgmaker, etc. would fit my needs? Thanks in advance, and SERIOUSLY, no flaming or anything please. The games gonna be free on PC at least if and when I finish it, so in the end you could be helping yourself out. Thanks.

Jun 24 2014 Anchor

Personally, I would use Unity - it supports all the platforms you want, it's free and it now has native 2D support.

Jun 24 2014 Anchor

There is a difference between an Engine where you will develop your game and a Software that you will design your graphics. Personally I am not a graphic designer so if you want you can post an extra topic in the 2D or 3D Graphics Sub-Forum. I wouldn't use neither gamemaker nor rpmaker. Both of them are weak engines which don't require programming and they are good only for beginners. Of course if this is your first game then this is a good place to start and understand the logic of programming and algorithms without learning advanced coding. From the other side if you think that you can learn a Programming Language then Unity or Python (Unity uses C# and Python Game Engine uses the Python programming language) would be some great engines to try out.

Jun 26 2014 Anchor

If you're not a programmer nor willing to learn, GameMaker is by far your best bet. If you're proficient in Lua or interested in learning, I'd highly recommend Love 2D. For a free and open-source engine, it's definitely the best you can get if you ask me.

Jul 1 2014 Anchor

well, thanks guys. i have been learning C# for a little while now, i had just heard that unitys 2d engine "left something to be desired". and i know that RPGmaker and Game Maker are simple and meant for beginners, thats actually what i was trying to use in 2010. ill use unity then. i read on unitys forums that you cant play unity games on PSP, but i might as well move on from that system for a while. maybe real custom firmware for the vita would be out by then anyway. well, thanks for all the advice.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.