Forum Thread
[ut2003] City (Forums : Ideas & Concepts : [ut2003] City) Locked
Thread Options
Jan 27 2004 Anchor

First of all I'm not planning to do this for real(well maybe but not now). So I'm not recruiting or something else. I'm just trying to have a nice discussion about this subject.

I want to see your opinions about a total conversion with the name City.
The background is a 21 century city witch resembles a common metropolis in modern life. The game will be deathmatch with standard weapons witch can be bought at a weapon store. The city would be like London, Paris or Rotterdam but not an exact copy. One off the mayor points of my mod would be vehicles like cars and bikes. The mod should be just fun to play and ideal for brainless multiplayer action.

Basically that’s it. So what you think of it? Is it good? Is it bad? Comments!
Only one restriction, don’t talk shit about “It can’t be done and it’s a rip off(GTA)” because I’m not interested in it. Just help with being creative and maybe throw in some constructive critic.

Garglet
Garglet I can't get the neighbours cat out of my house!
Jan 27 2004 Anchor

This would be alot of fun. if you could do it... ;)

--

look at me, i have no signature!

Jan 29 2004 Anchor

So to pump up the discussion I want to ask you a simple question:

On wich point should I put more efford?
1) Weapons! lots of weapons! Ak47, Uzi's, desert eagles, stingers etc.
2) Cars, bikes and other vehicles
3) Environment, try to make a realistic city would be an ace
4) Models, the player models must be loking real and cool.

Since I cant pull of all, I want to focus on one of the above points.

Jan 31 2004 Anchor

I would concentrate on the environment first.
Accomplishing a realistic and playable environment in a city scape would be challenging enough to start
not to mention it would take your mod most of the way to achieving the desired effect.

A few things to considder:
1) variety: You will want tall buildings, short buildings, wide streets narrow alleys, underground subways and sewers etc.
2) realistic: Every building should be enterable, every window breakable, light-poles knock-downable etc..
3) Playable: take into consideration poly count and drawn poly's; the whole map should not be visible from any 1 point.

arvey-Haynos
arvey-Haynos ModDB Wickerman
Feb 6 2004 Anchor

I've tried to make Cityscape maps for UT2k3 and although you can maybe make a small area really well with all of the things LewyT mentioned It is very hard to make the whole city like that. But if it could be done it would definately be a great mod. One thing I've always tried to do is make a long road that stretches on for miles within the city that looks really abandonded. The sort of road that should you walk along it will make you feel that you are the only person alive in the entire city. I've tried to do this countlesstimes. But I never achieved quite the right effect. Which brings up the point that even if you could make a realistic map, you probably wouldn't capture the atmosphere you had intended. It wopuld be could fun to play this mod though. If you do decide to make it. Come and speak to me. :)

--

User Posted Image

Feb 7 2004 Anchor

Yeah i dunno, making a city scape for UT2k3 might be a little hard, i dunno though.

--

for all you outwar players 64.119.172.113 go there best outwar builder check out my stats

Earned: 28.4
Paid Out: 24
Still Owed: 4.40

plus i got over 100 in a night

Feb 9 2004 Anchor

What about UT2004, can it handle an entire city, with its huge landscapes and the veichles.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.