Forum Thread
Uncharted 3 Beta (Forums : Console Gaming : Uncharted 3 Beta) Locked
Thread Options
TheUnabridgedGamer
TheUnabridgedGamer It's been a long time...
Jul 1 2011 Anchor

I am loving this, very much. This reminds me of back when they had the Killzone 3 beta (once again, loved it). Originally, I had no interest in a multiplayer mode in Uncharted, outside of maybe local co-op. Now I have two reasons to buy the first two games in that special pack that's coming out.

I have, however, found bugs. Notably, once on chateu, while climbing up a broken wooden ladder, I aimed with my pistol. Everything but the characters turned invisible, and the background was gray. When I moved, the bug disappeared, and I've failed to recreate it so far, but it was actually (in an odd way) helpful (I could see the AI were going to make a big push on us). Another bug is when the AI to attack during siege run out. I've experienced this three times now when the AI just stop spawning, and for minutes on end my team is left just waiting.

That said, the only other things I really have to point out is the questionable lighting, riot shield AI, and placement in the airfield map. Some weapons seem to be placed in the most counter intuitive of places, from a gameplay balance perspective (putting the RPG up where someone can casually shoot across almost the entire map, with walls protecting them, doesn't seem like a wise plan. If they also have a sniper/assault rifle, then what's the point of them even coming down? Especially if they have the rocket kick back. Yes, eventually they run out of ammo, but they could have racked up maybe 15 kills before coming down, depending on how good the player is.). Lastly, as to the riot shield AI -- it is sometimes outright impossible to beat them. Unless you have horded your grenade until they show up, or have gotten lucky and got a rocket/grenade launcher, you will have almost no chance of killing them. Even with explosives, they sometimes still continue on. I once saw a teammate hide behind a corner, and spend both his full assault rifle ammo and pistol ammo into the enemy, aiming for around the shield and at the glass visor. Even though eventually you'd see the blood from bullets hitting the enemy -- he ran out of ammo, and the enemy was still walking fine. The fact they are all armed with fully automatic pistols furthers this disadvantage. I've played matches where merely two riot shield enemies wipe out an entire squad of people who were slaughtering other enemy types. Even the swat armored enemies were easier to take down than the riot shield ones.

But back to the positive -- Chateau one of the best multiplayer maps I've ever seen, in many years of playing shooters. Things are close quarters, so using RPGs is discouraged (except for in the court yard areas, but there are still places to hide). The pistole (a pistol shotgun) is hidden in the darkest lit room, but is also perfect for the interior, but runs out of ammo quickly enough that you still have to trade weapons. The zip-line allows a quick flanking manuver, and in competitive mode it allows access to a stationary gatling gun. But the gatling gun is not invulnerable, as the other team can get behind cover, and grab the neatly hidden grenade launcher that is opposite the stationary gun. Everything is balanced, and there is no cheap way for someone to get a kill. I rarely ever get to say that about a game, period.

Jul 1 2011 Anchor

haven't tried it yet. Been playing sly collections.

TheUnabridgedGamer
TheUnabridgedGamer It's been a long time...
Jul 1 2011 Anchor

Phenomsandwhich wrote: haven't tried it yet. Been playing sly collections.

...forgive me, but I must ask.

If you haven't even tried it, then why post on a thread about it? That would be like me posting on a Dynasty Warrior's thread about how I had been playing Half-Life 2.

Jul 1 2011 Anchor

Paradigmthefallen wrote:

Phenomsandwhich wrote: haven't tried it yet. Been playing sly collections.

...forgive me, but I must ask.

If you haven't even tried it, then why post on a thread about it?

Because I can.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.