Forum Thread
The Hour Before Dawn STILL looking for members :(:((:9 (Forums : Pimpage & Posing : The Hour Before Dawn STILL looking for members :(:((:9) Locked
Thread Options
DMason
DMason Not Cleaning
Jun 29 2004 Anchor

yo guys, on...hold up...May 21st, I posted this thread, but no one answered!!! I realize that many, sorry to sound prejudice against 12 year olds, but let's be honest, there's a LOT of 11-13 year old kids that come up with a half-decent (ok, maybe not decent at all) idea but don't know shit about modding, so the ideas don't go anywhere, but i assure you i am not one of those kids. I am 18, I've been gaming for a pretty decent amount of time, I know what makes a good game and what makes a bad game (no, seriously), and one of my talents (i tried making that sound non-narcissistic, but i found no other way to say it) is writing, right up there with web design, and for lack of a better term, coming up with *good* ideas for video games. . If you're saying "alright, so he's got a good idea***, AND he's got writing ability, but he still needs to get something rock solid down, like a model or some piece of concept art", well, I have one, but i'm not happy with it. As for everyone thing else, I'm currently doing a LOT of things now. Some (around only about 60%) of those things are listed in the most recent news post of this site. So, to be honest, I've been busy. You guys have to trust me that I have an amazing idea, and i just don't want to tell anyone because people will steal it. (Sorry to sound this way, BUT) it's really that good of a story, and the few people i've told it to have said that it's (direct quote): "fucking amazing, i love how it all ties together". Again, not to sound egocentric, but you can probably tell from the site for the mod that I'm not your average preteen kid with a bad idea. haha, i just re-read that after checking for errors in my post. man, that's classic. Anyway, it's all a matter of faith. The Hour Before Dawn is still looking for members- anyone we could use would be helpful, although you MUST (obviously) have talent at what you're doing, and abide by the rules stated here. Sooooo, join my team damnit!

***: My idea is summed up pretty well on the about section of my site, BUT, If you're too lazy to go there,

here is a description of my mod:

"The Hour Before Dawn is a story-driven singleplayer modification for Half-Life 2. Spanning three different accounts, survivors find themselves picking up whatever they can to fend off an alien invasion of Earth. Through a complex storyline and many plot twists and turns, these same survivors uncover that they aren't the only ones fighting for survival- banding up with other people- and find their lives intertwining with others' lives in unexpected ways. That's where the player comes in. At the beginning of the game, players will choose which party to play as, and then, branching out to the character selection screen, which character to play as. Although many parties will come across the others during the game, each group, and subsequently each character will have a different experience, thus giving the mod a unique replay value. Taking from games like Final Fantasy VII, music will play an important part in illustrating each character's background, and will help emphasize cutscenes and important parts of the story. Gameplay will be similar to games like Halo, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, and the original Half-Life. Unlike other First-Person Shooters, The Hour Before Dawn will use spells (which will be similar to those in the Final Fantasy series)."

- Edited By DMason On Tue 29th, Jun 2004 @ 1:41:00am

DMason
DMason Not Cleaning
Jun 29 2004 Anchor
Jun 29 2004 Anchor

Heh, by posting a news thread about people bad-mouthing your mod....well..

I suggest you leave your mod idea on the web site and just let people go see it if they're interested. And by the way, I think for the music part of the site, you could always just find a composer to make music for you that fits the mood. I don't really know if I'm going to be really in the mood with "The Slow Descent into Alcoholism", because I don't think that has anything to do with aliens and/or their "invasion" to Earth. You should definitely take that music off the site, and instead just offer sites to where the songs are legally displayed, like at Launch.com or Samgoody.com, or to the band web sites. That'll be a hell of a lot more nicer to the real artists, because you're basically trying to bank off their talents, and no one likes that o.O

It's an interesting mod idea, but it practically sounds like every run-of-the-crop mod I have ever heard. Just telling people it'll be a "complex" storyline already sounds fishy. Practically no one pays attention to the storyline of an FPS (Hell, XIII was the first one in about a decade to have an interesting one), and would rather run in there with all guns blazing. That's what I feel like when I read your summarization of the story. Don't be worried, man, your ideas won't be stolen. You won't really be able to recruit anybody if you at least let go part of the story, which I don't think anyone will take, my friend ;)

--

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster."
- Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146

teh_fonx
teh_fonx Wtf is a FONX ???
Jun 29 2004 Anchor

trust me your the exception to the rule, the rest of us at moddb are such egocentrics that we dont believe any one else has better mod dieas than us ;)

in short dont worry, we all have our uber kewl ideas, share yours and maybe you'll get people interested.

--

I want to make a mod like counter-strike but with more guns ,3 teams (maybe),and better gfx !!,
i need a maper,modeler,coder,and someone to maker a website for it, and what ever else u think i may need plz.

Jun 29 2004 Anchor

Oh, I definitely believe people have better mod ideas than me. I just think people can make a mod that has to do with something else than aliens.

I still haven't seen a mod that has to deal with aliens vs. aliens. Why is that? I dunno...

--

DMason
DMason Not Cleaning
Jun 30 2004 Anchor

Fine. When I have time, I will share with you the story I have written out, clearly, sufficiently, and most importantly, in detail. And trust me, the music is in there because it fits, I thought of the story first, and then I tried to think of music to go with it. Well...actually, that particular song is the only one that I thought of the song first, but trust me, I didn't say "Man, what a great song, I want that in a video game, gotta work that in somehow." Basically, expect a new post with the entire storyline and many, many details written down. And if they don't want a story in a First Person Shooter, I've decided to have an option to skip cutscenes. If they still don't feel like listening to it, well, then they should uninstall the mod, because, although it will have fighting in it (obviously), it's not geared toward the Serious Sam audience.

- Edited By DMason On Wed 30th, Jun 2004 @ 3:15:07pm

Jun 30 2004 Anchor

Why not just find a composer, man? It's not like it's impossible. Compensate the person if you have to, but having original music gains more recognition than taking from other artists.

--

DMason
DMason Not Cleaning
Jun 30 2004 Anchor

True. What I think I'll do is somehow try to contact as many artists as I can to ask them permission. I'd estimate about half would actually respond, maybe if I just keep calling/e-mailing them...

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.