Forum Thread
Quake 2 mapping troubles. (Forums : Level Design : Quake 2 mapping troubles.) Locked
Thread Options
bobalong131
bobalong131 Joe of all trades.
Feb 19 2009 Anchor

Hey gang. I've been a modder for the source engine for a long time, Before that I had tinkered with q2 and now i've gone full circle and enjoy playing some Q2E coop with some friends. After finishing the game together I decided I wanted to make my own maps as I knew it was very similar to hl1 and hl2 since they are essentially distant cousins. Anywho, I was doing fine in quark porting a map and I got it to run with the same texture on everything but once I changed all the textures and started reinstating the lighting and what not I broke it. Unfortunatley I rebuilt it in one long sitting and didn't play test it much along the way.

When compiling it seems to repeat

"patch cluster ==-1" or something similar

it completes the compile then goes into the game and I receive an overflow error. It would seem to me I added to much or perhaps I got bad habbits from working with stronger engines. Also does anyone think it's possible to rig Hammer up to compile and make Q2 maps? Should just be a matter of setting everything properly?

xm
xm
Feb 20 2009 Anchor

I've used GTKRadiant when I design/compile maps for Q2. Once you have a compiling engine (q2map) you could just make a .bat file to compile your maps and then just change the compile flags as needed.

Have you tried just compiling a simple bsp or are you compiling the full map with lights, entities etc...?

bobalong131
Feb 21 2009 Anchor

It finishes compiling, It does not however run in game. I have tried compiling it without lighting or any entities except my player start and I receive the same error. I'm starting to beileive I'm using too many textures. If anyone would be so kind to look at it for me it'd be great.

Also, I'd like to add that I have compiled it before but it was all set as one texture for testing purposes.

Edited by: bobalong131

Spector
Spector WWIII
Feb 21 2009 Anchor

One of the more annoying things I run into is having errors when there are too many brushes crossing each other (a la: intersecting the surface), check to see if you have this situation.

You can always select all your brushes and switch back to a single texture (save the map as a different name), and see if it compiles again.

If you could post the actual error, word for word, it would help.

--

snetErz.com - Web Design
Some guy in the space time continuum.

bobalong131
Feb 23 2009 Anchor

I've kinda figured it out. It was just really wasteful mapping on my part.

xm
xm
Feb 27 2009 Anchor

If you're using custom textures make sure they're not oversized. I had a problem with that once cause my textures were larger than 512x512. I think thats the limit for quake 2.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.