Forum Thread
New rule on Half-Life 2 spoilers (Forums : Contests & Jams : New rule on Half-Life 2 spoilers) Locked
Thread Options
frosty-theaussie
frosty-theaussie Sonny Jim
Nov 15 2004 Anchor

Now, as most of us all know, the impending Half-Life 2 release is but a day away. And most of us know that plenty people here are excited about it. However, let's lay down a ground rule. A good majority of modDB users have been waiting a solid six years for this, and the last thing we need when innocently browsing the forum is to have part of the story ruined by an unbeknowingly energetic fan. Some people have prior commitments leading up to the release of Half-Life, and may not be able to play it weeks, or even months after the release date.. Here is the new rule:

• If you feel the need to comment and otherwise reveal parts of the Half-Life 2 story, or events which are described within the game, be sure to include plenty of preceeding warnings that you are about to do so. If creating a new thread with your own review of Half-Life 2, ensure that you warn users if you discuss points of the story or events within the game.

I'm sure this won't be too hard to follow. I'm just making sure that everyone is aware of the situation, and that if you do want to discuss something that may give away parts of the story, to ensure that people will have sufficient time to be able to look away or scroll past it.

--

User Posted Image

ShortCutMan
ShortCutMan ♥ Pure ♥ Bred ♥ Geek ♥
Nov 15 2004 Anchor

We need spoiler BBcode. I'll moderate the HL2 spoilers, cos I dun care! :D

--

98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 98% that is an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
User Posted Image

ImTheDarkcyde
ImTheDarkcyde ¯\(º_o)/¯
Nov 15 2004 Anchor

actually, the half life 2 script was leaked earlier this year

Nov 15 2004 Anchor

Yes, but the whole point of this thread is that frosty wants people to warn others if they are about to inform them of spoilers, not to completely block them from the site. Sure, the HL2 script was leaked, but that doesn't mean everyone did or want to read the script :P

--

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster."
- Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146

Nov 15 2004 Anchor

It doesn't matter that the script was leaked, most of us didn't read it because we wanted to wait and play the game. Reading the script is just one big spoiler.

And thanks for pointing this out frosty. The internet has gotten terrible. There are so many trolling little gamer kids everywhere that ruin game experiences for people. I have to actually put forth a concerted effort not to have games ruined nowadays. Between message boards and IRC, there is always someone trying to give away the story in a fit of excitement or annoyance, and even when you ask them to stop many times they do it out of spite. Fucking jerks.

deathmedic3rd
deathmedic3rd Metal Head
Nov 15 2004 Anchor

i've got no money and won't get the game tomorrow :(
and my pay didn't go through yet either :P

so i don't want to read spoliers either. i'll just keep out of HL2 threads. :)

--

running a hot rodded mac mini

Nov 15 2004 Anchor

I am going to read the threads because I want to know the reactions to it, but I hopefully will not come across any spoilers. :P

ImTheDarkcyde
ImTheDarkcyde ¯\(º_o)/¯
Nov 15 2004 Anchor

im not even going to read a review, for i already know it is "teh pwn"

Lomo93901
Lomo93901 Get back to work!
Jan 19 2005 Anchor

actually, spoiler bbcode is convenient and simple, from what I've seen. Replaces all the censored text with a black box, and when you hover your mouse over it, the words show up in white.

Could also be appropriate for things other than HL2 spoilers.

Jan 27 2005 Anchor

funny thing about websites is if you dont want to read it you don't have to. People shouldn't "spoil" it but if you haven't beat the game already start movin`

Jan 27 2005 Anchor

Please, don't bump this ancient topic.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.