Forum Thread
Millions of Monsters - Online RPG - Devlog Month #2 (Forums : Pimpage & Posing : Millions of Monsters - Online RPG - Devlog Month #2) Locked
Thread Options
Apr 7 2014 Anchor

Hey everyone, first post here! Been lurking a while and thought it was time to share my own project.

2 months ago I left my comfie job at Ubisoft Montreal to try my luck at full time indie game development. It's been scary/hard but I'm super excited. Also hard to focus on development all day long when Diablo/Dark souls are sitting there waiting for me to play :D Still managed to put in a lot of hours and overall I'm very satisfied with the progress I've made

Here is a video of the build of last month :

And some screenshot of this month's progress User Posted ImageUser Posted ImageUser Posted ImageUser Posted ImageUser Posted ImageUser Posted Image
Last month what I had was basically an early version of the battle system. Lots of things were hardcoded : there was no database backend yet. I have focused this month on having a fully playable build.
In the first 2 screenshots, you can see an already working version of the monster creation process called the "Altar of creation". This is an important aspect of the game. It allows players to use their imagination and some of their loot to create monsters for other players to fight. Players are also rewarded by doing so : the more their monsters win and are popular, the more they earn gold for their "masters". There are 3 types of items that players uses to create their monsters :

• Eggs : this is the core item and it gives the monsters it's base stats. It also states how many "attribute" and "phase" slots available for the monster.
  • Attribute : These are items that grant the monster a special affix. It can be something like "Super Health" which gives 200% HP boost, or something like "Firestarter" which gives the monster a powerful fireball ability. This was inspired by Diablo's affix system.
  • Phase : For those of you familiar with mmo's, you are probably familiar with phases. It's basically different states in which a boss can be, usually based on it's HP. A phase item usually defines an extra attribute and minions for the monster.

Of course, the player can further customize it's creation by selecting it's image (as seen in screenshot 2), choosing it's name, it's dialog... More options will be added eventually. The game will have an unlimited supply of monster images. Players (and artists) will be able to upload images that, provided they are approved, will be usable by everyone during the monster creation process. In the third screenshot, you can see an early version of the Bounty Hunting screen. This is a mode where you can quickly battle other player's creation. Once you beat a monster, you can see that it shows a "You defeated" message *wink dark soul :) * There will be ladders and other various ways to compare yourself with other players in bounty hunting. Some super hard monsters will be featured and have increased drop rate/experience gain when they have a big win/loss ratio.
In the fourth screenshot, the victory screen. In this screen you see your rewards when winning a battle : xp, gold, and of course, loot.Rest of the screenshot are various improvement/new screens I have developped. The overworld, which is first screen you see after logging in. The logging screen and finally, the character inventory screen. All these are fully working.Obviously all these still need a lot of tuning/polish but they are fully working. It's starting to feel like a real game : I can actually log in, go check which bounties are available, fight them, earn loot, create monsters, equip my characters, salvage unnecessary items etc...Fun times ahead!This month, I am focusing on two big topic : content creation and the character's skill system. I will also keep making various tweaks so that the game feels more and more like an actual game : music, sound effects, etc...

See you later!
Also if some of you would like to follow my dev log (which is basically same content I post here though) : Millionsofmonsters.tumblr.com

Cheers!

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.