Forum Thread
Mechwarrior 3 reborn (Forums : Ideas & Concepts : Mechwarrior 3 reborn) Locked
Thread Options
Dawg_Pack_Leadr
Dawg_Pack_Leadr Administrator @ Mech3.org
Aug 31 2005 Anchor

Hi folks,

I represent a small community of gamers that still play the classic PC game "MechWarrior 3". This game was released long before the server/client multiplayer format of current day releases. Because of the peer to peer gameplay... it lags badly. We believe that the look and feel of MW3 was ahead of it's time which is why we continue to play this Btech based mech simulator. The terrain sucks... but the texture mappings look pretty good for five year ago software.

We've tossed the idea around about a "MW3 Mod" for HL2 or T2... but we lack the support and knowledge of how to undertake such a great task. I know the chances of starting and finishing a project like this is most likely nil but it's worth a try... at least to ask for help.

In case anyone is wondering... yeah there is a MW4 that enables server/client multiplayer games but MicroSoft has changed absolutely everything in the process. The latest release, MW4 Mercs, has many improvements... the best of which are provided by add on mods created by gamers. However, there is no replacing MW3.

I'd appreciate any feedback on this proposal. Feel free to visit us at our forums.

Thanks,
Dawg_Pack
Mech3.org
Administrator/ Mech3.org

--

User Posted Image

Gryx
Gryx Gwaaaah?!
Sep 2 2005 Anchor

Hmmm. Interesting. If you want effectively, the same game just on a different game engine, it should be possible to extract all the music, models, etc from the MW3 files and convert them to formats supported by the new engine...if you can find the right tools to do the job.

If you can find a way to do this, it will make the conversion much quicker and easier ('cos you don't have to build it from scratch :)). The big problem, I think, is coding. If you can find a good coder to help you, it should be fine. If not, the mod will be a Half-Life deathmatch game with MW player models :P.

Edited by: Gryx

--

"Well, I usually charge 5 bucks for these, but since it's YOU man... it's 10."

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.