Forum Thread
Fan Made KotOR 3 ; WTFN? (Forums : Ideas & Concepts : Fan Made KotOR 3 ; WTFN?) Locked
Thread Options
Jan 20 2015 Anchor

So, I think it's pretty clear that we won't be getting a KOTOR 3 anytime soon. Given that it has been ten years since its last installment, I personally would be extremely surprised if it ever happens.

That bitter pill out of the way, with a fan base so large and present on the web, why is it not reasonable to think KOTOR 3 could be a fan made project? Before the devil's advocate and his nay saying buddied pick me to pieces; I think with good management, a clear vision, and s##t ton of work, it would be very doable. I'm not just talking, I would put in the work and be willing to take the lead on many aspects of the project. LET'S DO IT!

I welcome any and all constructive feedback. Thanks for looking.

Jan 21 2015 Anchor

Never say never - maybe there is KOTOR III sometimes. The developers never said that they won't be making a second sequel of the game.
And I don't think making it as a fan project will run. There's so much content in the game that 10 hobby devs would probably work on that for many years. And if it was so easy why isn't there already a fan project for KOTOR III?
Sorry to say that but I think we have to wait either on the developers of the KOTOR series (Obsidian, I think) or a miracle. Or both.

Jan 21 2015 Anchor

You make some good points, but like you say, never say there will never be a fan-made KotOR 3.

It seems most of the previous attempts fizzled for one reason or another. The ambitious looking ones were attempts to get permission to develop and release the game in a traditional sense. I personally don't think a satisfying conclusion to the trilogy could be found through a traditional development due to the current canon version of Revan's trip to unknown space.

Your right, 10 hobby devs could work for 10 years on this and still not be done, but if there is any project with the ability to attract and inspire an army of nerds, I'd think this would be it. I just wanted to throw it out there to see if there was some others as optimistic about the prospects of a worthy conclusion to the series being within our control. I understand how naive this will sound to some of you, and I thank you for not flaming me. No doubt, there are some mammoth hurtles here, but as wise man once said, “do or do not, there is no try.”

EDIT:

There are two moder made continuations of the KotOR story worth mentioning.

Knights of the Old Republic III : The Jedi Masters (Complete)
Knights of the Old Republic : Revenge of Revan (In Development)

They are both great examples of what a desire to see a conclusion to the KotOR series can produce.

Edited by: gillian_seed

Jan 31 2015 Anchor

KOTOR 3 is the MMORPG Star Wars: The Old Republic because if you play SWTOR you can tell that it was meant to be a single player game, but the LucasArts(Disney) and Bioware(EA) switched to an MMO because they wanted more money then they switched to a F2PMMO so they could do microtransactions for the game I subbed to the game when it first came out, but I don't play anymore after the F2P switch because the game is now what I call Restrict2Play because as a free player you can't do much of anything

Feb 1 2015 Anchor

I am actually curious as to why EA went the MMO route. I don't think there was a big outcry for it as much as there may be for other franchises (*coughpokemoncoughcough*) and the development of an MMO is an enormous financial undertaking that presents a tremendous risk to devs and publishers. I'd like to think that it wasn't just some random willy-nilly decision made by the suits in management because of the aforementioned risk. Maybe there was some outcry that I didn't notice or what ever?

Either way, it's highly, highly unlikely we'll get a proper KotoR 3, sadly. It's such a shame, because what they did to Revan and HK-47 (twice!!) is just sad.

Feb 1 2015 Anchor

Obsidian are currently thinking about making KOTOR 3, but if you were to make a fan made version, I would play that shit all day, every day!

Feb 4 2015 Anchor

EmpI wrote: I am actually curious as to why EA went the MMO route. I don't think there was a big outcry for it as much as there may be for other franchises (*coughpokemoncoughcough*) and the development of an MMO is an enormous financial undertaking that presents a tremendous risk to devs and publishers. I'd like to think that it wasn't just some random willy-nilly decision made by the suits in management because of the aforementioned risk. Maybe there was some outcry that I didn't notice or what ever?

Either way, it's highly, highly unlikely we'll get a proper KotoR 3, sadly. It's such a shame, because what they did to Revan and HK-47 (twice!!) is just sad.

You may be right about there never being a KOTOR 3, but I think EA was just thinking on how much money they could make from an MMO because of WOW I have no idea why some Devs and Publishers think that just because WOW is making good money for Blizzard they think it's easy to do, but in WOW defense Blizzard keeps coming up with more things to add to WOW to keep their player base happy and give them something to do in game that is why Blizzard makes so much money off of it

Edited by: Devil_Diamond_Games

Feb 4 2015 Anchor

Devil_Diamond_Games wrote:
You may be right about there never being a KOTOR 3, but I think EA was just thinking on how much money they could make from an MMO because of WOW I have no idea why some Devs and Publishers think that just because WOW is making good money for Blizzard they think it's easy to do, but in WOW defense Blizzard keeps coming up with more things to add to WOW to keep their player base happy and give them something to do in game that is why Blizzard makes so much money off of it

Publishers loathe risk, and although MMOs have a potential for high-reward they're high-risk. The only reason EA would have moved forward with a decision to make the spiritual sequel to the KotOR series an MMO was if they had some sort of guarantee their risk would pan out. Part of that risk is, yes. Constant new content generation, because the biggest thing MMO devs need to be wary of is players growing bored with the lack of things to do. Content keeps subscribers shelling out $15 a month, and F2Pers more likely to succumb to the pay walls.

Anyone have any idea as to what guarantee EA saw?

Feb 4 2015 Anchor

EmpI wrote:

Devil_Diamond_Games wrote:

Publishers loathe risk, and although MMOs have a potential for high-reward they're high-risk. The only reason EA would have moved forward with a decision to make the spiritual sequel to the KotOR series an MMO was if they had some sort of guarantee their risk would pan out. Part of that risk is, yes. Constant new content generation, because the biggest thing MMO devs need to be wary of is players growing bored with the lack of things to do. Content keeps subscribers shelling out $15 a month, and F2Pers more likely to succumb to the pay walls.

Anyone have any idea as to what guarantee EA saw?

I don't think EA saw much going forward, but Bioware took a risk with Mass Effect with the dialog system and the previous game effecting the new one EA thought that Mass Effect would fail to gain a fanbase, but look at it now. I don't know what Bioware or EA has planned for SWTOR with Shadow of Revan out SWTOR keeps getting better, but until they remove some of the restrictions with the game I will not play my chars I have for the game.

Just look at the restrictions for yourself the F2P is set up to make people sub to the game not want to sub even the community say some of them are a little much and not needed. Swtor.com

Feb 4 2015 Anchor

I've played SWTOR. The storylines are awesome and a lot of creativity and thought went into the quests, and it shows. However I found the gameplay so repetitive I just wanted to get through the action sequences so I could get to the next cutscene =\

Feb 5 2015 Anchor

EmpI wrote: I've played SWTOR. The storylines are awesome and a lot of creativity and thought went into the quests, and it shows. However I found the gameplay so repetitive I just wanted to get through the action sequences so I could get to the next cutscene =\

the story is interesting if they were to make the game an offline game I would replay it again and again

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.