Forum Thread
Easy MIDI (8-Bit specifically) Music Maker? (Forums : Sound Design & Composition : Easy MIDI (8-Bit specifically) Music Maker?) Locked
Thread Options
Jun 22 2011 Anchor

Well, the title is pretty general as to what I'm asking.
I'm making an 8-bit game for PC to test out a new game engine I found.. I've composed a few tracks on pen and paper using my guitar.
Are there any [very] easy MIDI track makers for Windows that someone with no-little experience could use?
Thanks for any help and referrals :)

Jun 22 2011 Anchor

If you are comfortable with finding and using VSTi plugins, Reaper is a very versatile option. The software claims to stop working after 30 days w/o purchase, but that has since been deactivated. What I'm saying is, it's 100% free. Setting it up is pretty straightforward. If you've used Audacity then you understand how audio tracks work, right?. Well in Reaper, tracks are very versatile as they can hold audio OR MIDI data. Just find the VSTi instrument you want, load it into the track, then add a blank MIDI item to the track. Compose away. It sounds like you're fairly musical, so I'd recommend that you get to know Reaper. It's versatile, and many of its features match the big boys (ProTools, Logic)

There are other options like Anvil Studio. It's free. It does everything MIDI. The free version only supports a single track. If you want better instruments than the standard General MIDI, you can grab Soundfonts. They aren't as good as VSTs but they get the job done.

~Cheers
mb

Edited by: Kilometers@Sound

Jun 23 2011 Anchor

Reaper is an awesome tool, but I found it pretty complicated for MIDI ins/outs. It might be fine for VSTis, but I had real issues using Reason with it via Rewire. Ended up with 2 channels for each track, and some fairly complicated sends/returns.

That said, definitely give it a go. I'd imagine straight VSTis are a lot easier to handle, plus there's nothing out there that's as fully-featured for free/cheap.

If you've got an iOS/Android phone, maybe try nanoloop: Nanoloop.de

Jun 23 2011 Anchor

Sound@Kilometers wrote: If you are comfortable with finding and using VSTi plugins, Reaper is a very versatile option. The software claims to stop working after 30 days w/o purchase, but that has since been deactivated. What I'm saying is, it's 100% free. Setting it up is pretty straightforward. If you've used Audacity then you understand how audio tracks work, right?. Well in Reaper, tracks are very versatile as they can hold audio OR MIDI data. Just find the VSTi instrument you want, load it into the track, then add a blank MIDI item to the track. Compose away. It sounds like you're fairly musical, so I'd recommend that you get to know Reaper. It's versatile, and many of its features match the big boys (ProTools, Logic)

There are other options like Anvil Studio. It's free. It does everything MIDI. The free version only supports a single track. If you want better instruments than the standard General MIDI, you can grab Soundfonts. They aren't as good as VSTs but they get the job done.

~Cheers
mb

I grabbed both Anvil Studio and Reaper. I like them both.
I think Anvil Studio is more straightforward, but I definitely like Reaper, especially for freeware.
Thanks for the help :)

StauntonLick wrote: Reaper is an awesome tool, but I found it pretty complicated for MIDI ins/outs. It might be fine for VSTis, but I had real issues using Reason with it via Rewire. Ended up with 2 channels for each track, and some fairly complicated sends/returns.

That said, definitely give it a go. I'd imagine straight VSTis are a lot easier to handle, plus there's nothing out there that's as fully-featured for free/cheap.

If you've got an iOS/Android phone, maybe try nanoloop: Nanoloop.de

I've got an iOS phone.. Does Nanoloop have export to PC options?

Jul 13 2011 Anchor

From what I understand the iOS version of nanoloop isn't actually trying to emulate "8 bit" sounds. They are just synths. But to actually answer your question a 1/8'' double headphone jack cable + Audacity is probably your PC export option.

A great and free 8 bit synth that sounds very authentic is the Magic 8 Bit plugin. As well as Chip32.

--

Composer

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.