Forum Thread
Cryengine 3 texture blending (Forums : Level Design : Cryengine 3 texture blending) Locked
Thread Options
Aug 24 2011 Anchor

I've been reading lots of info but nothing seems to help me blend textures. I tried copying 2 default materials and simply replacing them with my files. I also tried using different levels of opacity and hardness.

Basically, I use the CryTif exporter to create a TerrainDiffuse and a TerrainDiffuse_HighQuality. I use the low quality .dds for the layer texture, and the high quality .tif for the layer diffuse.

Thanks!

I am so close to making a youtube video of the process I have gone over 5 times so someone can point out what I am doing wrong, but here is a summary:

I have a 512x512 tiling sand and grass jpg. I save both using CryTif TerrainDiffuseHighPass. I places these textures in Game/Textures/Custom, and they create sand.dds and grass.dds.

I create a new cryengine map 512x512, delete the terrain layer, and create a new two new ones, Grass and Sand. I apply the texture layer of grass.dds and sand.dds to each. I then create two new materials, sandmat and grassmat, apply sand.dds and grass.dds to each, ensure diffuse color is 255,255,255. I apply the materials to the texture layers.

I generate surface texture at 16348x16348 high quality, and change tiles resolution to 2048x2048...

and VOILA! Crappy textures

Thanks to the active Cryengine 3 members at the POLYCOUNT forums, I was able to solve my issue. I highly recommend anyone using the Cryengine to check out those forums, there is some awesome work being done, and active members willing to help. Anyways, my frustration with blending textures was so immense that I created these tutorials to prevent any beginner from experiencing my frustration.

Series here: Moddb.com

Part 2:

Edited by: YamahaAlex37

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.