Forum Thread
2 Website Related Questions (Forums : General Banter : 2 Website Related Questions) Locked
Thread Options 1 2
Feb 21 2005 Anchor

1. Once I run out of webspace from my host, what should i do? I don't think there is an option with 1and1 to upgrade the space. List any serious suggestions please.

2. I have been reading tutorials and I still can't find the answer for this question. In Macromedia Fireworks, how do I make selected text a link to a url? It sounds incredibly simple, but for some reason theres no link property window or anything like that that i would usually use.

I didn't put this in editing section, because thats for mods and also because one of the questions here requires an opinion. Thanks alot :D....

Spector
Spector WWIII
Feb 21 2005 Anchor

Well for the first question, unless they have an upgrade space option, your gonna have to delete some things, start deleting things that are old or not used anymore, and then go from there..

For the second question, you should use flash, as you have Fireworks, you should have Flash hopefully O_o. Flash is easier to use and there are many tuts on doing it in flash

--

snetErz.com - Web Design
Some guy in the space time continuum.

mr.spammer
mr.spammer More Than A Woman
Feb 21 2005 Anchor

1) Surely you can just cancel your current package at the end of the month and get one with more space?

Feb 21 2005 Anchor

Order.1and1.com

the next package costs too much. i need a suggestion about how to get more space though. not getting rid of old stuff.

and i dont have flash on this computer. i just need to make the links with fireworks.

mr.spammer
Feb 21 2005 Anchor

Um, I don't know if this is possible or not but buy some more webspace and transfer it over?

EDIT: but webspace from anther host I meant

Edited by: mr.spammer

Feb 21 2005 Anchor

well the most important issue is my 2nd question. i just got fireworks and i need to find out how to make links for one of my mods or itll be banned for good.

embers.
embers. I'm a lumberjack....
Feb 21 2005 Anchor

2)thats dreamweaver not fireworks

Feb 21 2005 Anchor

No....im using Fireworks to make the page...

aea
aea modDB Hacker
Feb 21 2005 Anchor

Isn't fireworks a graphics design program?

Feb 21 2005 Anchor

yes, but you can make webpages with it, just like you can with most graphic programs.

aea
aea modDB Hacker
Feb 21 2005 Anchor

I don't know of any graphics programs you can make webpages with, most just output a sliced version of the page, nothing more.

Secondly, all those plans are cheap, what are you, 12?

Feb 21 2005 Anchor

dont screw up my thread just because its not about boys. i dont feel like paying $20 per month on top of all the other stuff i have to pay for. im only in highschool. i wouldnt be on here if i was an adult or that would just be sad.

declinsion
declinsion Wall Scibbler
Feb 21 2005 Anchor

I don't see why that would be said. While I'm just in high school right now, I plan on staying a member of modDB for a long time. Not only is it a great Modding Community. It's just friggin bomb!

embers.
Feb 22 2005 Anchor

it would be far simpler to use dreamweaver if ur gonna be a noob and use a prog

Spector
Spector WWIII
Feb 22 2005 Anchor

how are you going to be a noob by using a program? It's a hella lot easier to use a program than writing at all that HTML. Just an FYI, I use to write my code out for 3 years, and that was long enough for me...

Edited by: Spector

--

snetErz.com - Web Design
Some guy in the space time continuum.

Feb 22 2005 Anchor

Ok ember how do you think people make templates? :rolleyes: And dreamweaver has a coding view also, if you don't like design view. I'm using Fireworks and Dreamweaver together and it's going great, exept for the link part.

My biggest concern right now is how to make the links. The other question is important too though so please answer that if you know.

embers.
Feb 22 2005 Anchor

if ur using them together then the link thing is in dreamweaver

Feb 22 2005 Anchor

Well thats the problem. I make everything in Fireworks, and then i export it into htm which i then open in dreamweaver, but the whole thing is a solid picture-like thing. When i made the No Blood site, i used some other photoshop program where i could enter url links and then export everything as a html into dreamweaver which would then act like a solid picture file, but would have html inside of it. I dont really know how to describe it more then that.

aea
aea modDB Hacker
Feb 22 2005 Anchor

I am a graphics designer, as you could probably tell by the quality of my sites, and I'm going to tell you not one of my sites is based on the output from a graphics program directly. Image Ready does great slices (PS7), but I always remove half of those slices and make the design from scratch in html, I do not trust any editor enough to make the design compliant.

mr.spammer
Feb 22 2005 Anchor

Can't you just have lots of different pictures, with text links overlapping them? Just a thought, I don't use Dreamweaver much.

Feb 22 2005 Anchor

thats what im trying to do mr. spammer, only not in dreamweaver because i cant put text over the imported html. i have to do it all in fireworks.

mr.spammer
Feb 22 2005 Anchor

You can do it in Dreamweaver, but you need to use layers.

Feb 22 2005 Anchor

OH MY GOD!!! How did i not think of that?!??!? iv never used layer in dreamweaver, only in flash. jesus christ you are a genius mr.spammer. i even went to the official macromedia forums and experts couldnt help me. thank you sooo much!!

update: lol i just got the real answer from the forums but thanks anyway mr. spammer. you're answer was also great :D.

Edited by: Chunky

mr.spammer
Feb 22 2005 Anchor

Can you link me please? I want to know now!

Feb 22 2005 Anchor

I'll tell you myself :D

In Fireworks, click on the box with the text, or highlight the text you want to be a link, and then right click on it and select "Insert Hotspot". Now you'll have a box in the bottom property window where you can type the url. Remember to use http://

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.