Step By Step
1. STEP ONE: INSTALLING FREELANCER
1. Do a clean install of Freelancer
2. After installing, keep your FL Disc in your drive, open My Computer, right click on the Freelancer icon and hit open. Look for the folder called REDIST, open it, and run/install file MSXML3.MSI
Done, Freelancer is installed and should run perfectly. Next step!
2. STEP TWO: INSTALLING THE MOD
1. Download the Mod.
2. Right click on the FLMM Launch Shortcut and hit "Run as Admin"
3. Double click the downloaded Void mod. (Keep FLMM Running)
4. Wait for the files to extract, and then activate the mod.
Done! Your mod is fully activated, next step.
3. STEP THREE: GETTING FREELANCER TO WORK ONLINE
Now, this is the hardest part on getting Freelancer to work on Vista... Because there are so many tiny little things that get in the way. So first things first.
1. If you have any of the Antivirus programs on the "Black List" written in the second post of this tutorial, get rid of them! Freelancer will not run with any of those applications installed even if you turn them turned off. ***
2. Disable Windows Firewall, Windows Defender, and your Antivirus shield (like you would to play any online game.)
3. Run Freelancer "As an Admin", Connect, and play
Yay! That's it, you're done! Freelancer should work online just fine after that!
*** There are many Antivirus programs out there, look on the White list of the second post to see the ones I know of that work with Vista and Freelancer. There is no way I've discovered to allow Freelancer to play with any of the black listed antivirus' running, even when they're offline. If anyone has found a solution to this problem, please PM me.
4. HOW TO DISABLE IPv6
IPv6 is the new IP standard protocol that's set to default in Windows Vista, when Freelancer uses IPv4. Please note only follow the following tutorial if you're having problems connecting to the server.
1. Open Control Panels, Network and Internet, Network Connections.
2. Right click on your default connection, and click properties. (Example: Local Area Connection)
3. Scroll down the list that comes up and look for "Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)", untick the box and click ok.
HOW TO FULLY DISABLE WINDOWS FIREWALL
Well, like all Windows products. Even though the options window says Windows Firewall is off, it's really not. You have to disable the windows service that runs along with it, here's how.
1. Start Menu, Run. Type in services.msc.
2. Look for Windows Firewall, right click, and hit disable.
Done, Windows Firewall is fully disabled for that boot session.
2. ANTIVIRUS BLACK AND WHITE LIST:
The antivirus black and white list is where you can check if your current virus shield is causing problems with Freelancer and Windows Vista. If it's on the black list, look at the white list for known Antivirus' that work with Vista and Freelancer. To learn how to uninstall Black Listed antivirus', read further down the post.
Windows Live One Care